Can This Offense Someday Carry the Defense?

jive

Liked Posts:
In my decades of watching the Bears, I've never seen the offense consistently carry the defense. It was usually the other way around. Closest was during the Trestman era because Mel Tucker absolutely blew donkey balls. But I'm thinking that as this current offense develops, it may be able to carry the defense on a down day. As our defense ages, it may become more and more necessary.

Right now, our offense is young. Oldest starter will be Cody Whitehair at 28. Most experienced will be Allen Robinson with 8 seasons, but most will have 4 seasons or less of experience. With a competent to awesome QB in Justin Fields, this can be a pretty effective offense, and effective for a while. If Teven Jenkins can pan out as an LT, Cody Whitehair continues to be solid at guard, and Sam Mustipher, James Daniels, and Germain Ifedi continue to develop, we will have a decent line. If Bars continues to develop and Larry Borom develops as a tackle, we may finally have some depth. We are deep at RB with David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, and Damien Williams. If Khalil Herbert earns a roster spot, even better. We have a nice #1 and #2 in Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney. In addition to locking up our #1 for a few seasons, we need someone to fill the slot role. If Dazz Newsome plays in the NFL like he did in college, we'll have that spot covered for a while. Cole Kmet looks as good as advertised, but there's really no depth behind him. That's something that will need to be fixed with limited draft capital.

On defense, it's a different story. That side of the ball is aging. The releases of Kyle Fuller and Buster Skrine are signs of things to come. Akiem Hicks, Danny Trevathan, Robert Quinn, and Tashaun Gipson probably won't be on the roster in the next year or two either. It'll be a tall order to have them all replaced sufficiently with late round picks like Kindle Vildor orThomas Graham, or dumpster diving free agents like Desmond Trufant. Due to cap limitations, I doubt we'll be able to make a splash in free agency next year. There's only 5 picks next year with no first rounder to replace quality NFL starters. The defense may not be rebuilt until 2022 or even later. If they can't capitalize this year with this solid defense, the offense is going to have to make up for it the subsequent seasons until the key players can get replaced. Luckily Pace, has had decent luck with linemen and defensive backs.

In any case, let's hope the offense gets it in gear.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my decades of watching the Bears, I've never seen the offense consistently carry the defense. It was usually the other way around. Closest was during the Trestman era because Mel Tucker absolutely blew donkey balls. But I'm thinking that as this current offense develops, it may be able to carry the defense on a down day. As our defense ages, it may become more and more necessary.

Right now, our offense is young. Oldest starter will be Cody Whitehair at 28. Most experienced will be Allen Robinson with 8 seasons, but most will have 4 seasons or less of experience. With a competent to awesome QB in Justin Fields, this can be a pretty effective offense, and effective for a while. If Teven Jenkins can pan out as an LT, Cody Whitehair continues to be solid at guard, and Sam Mustipher, James Daniels, and Germain Ifedi continue to develop, we will have a decent line. If Bars continues to develop and Larry Borom develops as a tackle, we may finally have some depth. We are deep at RB with David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, and Damien Williams. If Khalil Herbert earns a roster spot, even better. We have a nice #1 and #2 in Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney. In addition to locking up our #1 for a few seasons, we need someone to fill the slot role. If Dazz Newsome plays in the NFL like he did in college, we'll have that spot covered for a while. Cole Kmet looks as good as advertised, but there's really no depth behind him. That's something that will need to be fixed with limited draft capital.

On defense, it's a different story. That side of the ball is aging. The releases of Kyle Fuller and Buster Skrine are signs of things to come. Akiem Hicks, Danny Trevathan, Robert Quinn, and Tashaun Gipson probably won't be on the roster in the next year or two either. It'll be a tall order to have them all replaced sufficiently with late round picks like Kindle Vildor orThomas Graham, or dumpster diving free agents like Desmond Trufant. Due to cap limitations, I doubt we'll be able to make a splash in free agency next year. There's only 5 picks next year with no first rounder to replace quality NFL starters. The defense may not be rebuilt until 2022 or even later. If they can't capitalize this year with this solid defense, the offense is going to have to make up for it the subsequent seasons until the key players can get replaced. Luckily Pace, has had decent luck with linemen and defensive backs.

It's an exciting, bizzaro time for sure. My hope is that Fields is so dynamic on the field and off, that we have that great QB effect whereas players flock to a team for perhaps less money to play with said QB. As you said, no 1st rounder next year makes it tough to fill key defensive positions so we gotta plug n play with vets for a bit.

If Desai can keep it together and keep them top 15 and Fields pans out, look the F out. Playoff time!

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure you've also noticed over the years if you're counting on a lot to have to go right, it won't work out.

Seems like every year there's one unexpected thing or huge bonus, like Jaylon Johnson being able to immediately start, but there's also something that doesn't workout - Goldman sitting for a year.

We might get Jenkins as an immediate starter...but Kmet will not have progressed at all.

Fields may step in and be like Watson his first year...but Jenkins cannot play LT and Mustipher and Barrs end up being the undrafted guys they are. Or Mooney is still good, but doesn't become one of the better WR2s etc...

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huh... I don't know what that looks like.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Bust

Liked Posts:
It's an exciting, bizzaro time for sure. My hope is that Fields is so dynamic on the field and off, that we have that great QB effect whereas players flock to a team for perhaps less money to play with said QB. As you said, no 1st rounder next year makes it tough to fill key defensive positions so we gotta plug n play with vets for a bit.

If Desai can keep it together and keep them top 15 and Fields pans out, look the F out. Playoff time!

Judgement day for Fields will come when his rookie contract runs out. Will he be willing to be like Brady's team friendly deals or does he want to bank 50 million per year (salary of QB's keep going up every season) and handcuff the team financially to field talent around him.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m hoping the offense an defense compliment each other. I don’t want one more dominant than the other. That way we would still be competitive when one side of the ball is having an off day on game day.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't watch much college ball ( to my shame), but when I saw clips of Fields playing I got a feeling that as a Bear fan I never got before (sans 85). The feeling that we now have a chance to have a real NFL caliber #1 offense and wont have to rely on defense to win us games.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields development has been slow and steady at Ohio state. He already started in a great place but you can expect him to continue improving for a few years.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If Fields can become the QB he's capable of becoming it absolutely can!

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I don't expect the defense to be that good this year. So if the Bears are going to win, I think it would have to be on the backs of the offense
I think theyll drop off too, but if the DL (finally) steps up and absolutely kicks ass like they should, it could change everything

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Personally Id love to see a balance between the two...both carry their own weight but have the ability go rise to the occasion if the other side is having an off game

Canth

Liked Posts:
To be a championship team, I think you need both. You need the offense to be able to carry the defense when needed and put points on the board. And there are going to be times when you need the defense to be able to make key stops. So, maybe the defense overall is having a bad day, but can they be good enough to get the stop when it matters the most?

They need that synergy. I think the key going forward is to have an offense able to actually score consistently so that the defense does not have the pressure of never being able to make a mistake. If they know they have an offense that can score, maybe they take a couple more calculated risks for a turnover and then get more turnovers, etc.

jive

Liked Posts:
I'm sure you've also noticed over the years if you're counting on a lot to have to go right, it won't work out.

Seems like every year there's one unexpected thing or huge bonus, like Jaylon Johnson being able to immediately start, but there's also something that doesn't workout - Goldman sitting for a year.

We might get Jenkins as an immediate starter...but Kmet will not have progressed at all.

Fields may step in and be like Watson his first year...but Jenkins cannot play LT and Mustipher and Barrs end up being the undrafted guys they are. Or Mooney is still good, but doesn't become one of the better WR2s etc...
I agree on that. There are a few things that the offense will need to go their way, and it would be quite the streak of luck combined with hard and effective work for it all to fall into place. However, getting Justin Fields does make one feel lucky.

We'll need Teven Jenkins to make in impact ala Cody Whitehair at a position he hadn't played in college. None of the other guys on the OL can regress. I don't see a reason why anyone would, but I've watched enough football to see that it happens. Injury is always a concern. We lack depth at TE, and even if Cole Kmet improves, we are still relying on UDFAs to take the TE3 and 4 spots. Our slot receiver will be either a late round pick or cast off free agents. We'll be fortunate to have these guys develop in 2-3 years, let alone this upcoming season. But, if we can get one or more of these things to happen, the arrow will be pointing upward.

jive

Liked Posts:
I think theyll drop off too, but if the DL (finally) steps up and absolutely kicks ass like they should, it could change everything
We'll have Eddie Goldman back, and that would make a big difference. IMO, his absence was the main reason why teams were able to run on us last year.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It’s time Nagy’s offense finally starts to produce!!

Last season the Bears defense was the oldest in the league and now another year older. They sucked midseason in 2020. Pagano is gone and that could only help but Father Time has a winning record.

I’m expect the Bears defense to be top 12-15

So there is room for the offense to take control.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Everyone wants to win a lot of games this year, truth be told I don't see it. What I see is 2021 is a developmental year with a highly rated rookie QB, at the start of our five year window with Fields on his rookie deal. The D still has some outstanding young players on that side of the ball who will be around for awhile. Starting in 2022 when the Bears will be in good shape cap wise they could decide to fill defensive holes through free agency, while using the draft to give Fields offensive help.