Can we break the cycle?

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
First of all, I've been a fan close to 50 years. I know I kind of sound like Eeyore sometimes, but I just want our team to get good and compete with good.

The last two winning seasons we had were 2012 and 2018.

In 2012, we won 10 games. For our wins, our opponents were 64-95 (40.25%) and for our losses, they were 66-29 (69.5%). So as long as we played the bad teams, we won. Against good teams, we lost. We beat Indy that year which was 11-5, but we played them first game of the season and it was Andrew Luck's first game. That's pretty much how the Lovie Smith era went which is why I wasn't too put out when the elected to let him go.

In 2018, we won 12 games. For our wins, our opponents were 80-111 (42%) and for our losses our opponents were 29-34 (46%). So during that year, we played mostly bad opponents. The Eagles were 9-7 and managed to send us packing early.

This year, we're 4-2. For our wins, our opponents are 4-18 (18%) and for our losses our opponents are 8-4 (67%) . So same story as 2012. But going forward, other than the Patriots and Cardinals, the rest of our opponents are good.

I'm going out on a limb as saying I think CW will break the cycle. While he hasn't beaten a good team yet, I think he will be able to. I don't have the same confidence in Eberflus ... if CW does it it will be despite ME.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
First of all, I've been a fan close to 50 years. I know I kind of sound like Eeyore sometimes, but I just want our team to get good and compete with good.

In 2012, we won 10 games. For our wins, our opponents were 64-95 (40.25%) and for our losses, they were 66-29 (69.5%). So as long as we played the bad teams, we won. Against good teams, we lost. We beat Indy that year which was 11-5, but we played them first game of the season and it was Andrew Luck's first game. That's pretty much how the Lovie Smith era went which is why I wasn't too put out when the elected to let him go.

In 2018, we won 12 games. For our wins, our opponents were 80-111 (42%) and for our losses our opponents were 29-34 (46%). So during that year, we played mostly bad opponents. The Eagles were 9-7 and managed to send us packing early.

This year, we're 4-2. For our wins, our opponents are 4-18 (18%) and for our losses our opponents are 8-4 (67%) . So same story as 2012. But going forward, other than the Patriots and Cardinals, the rest of our opponents are good.

I'm going out on a limb as saying I think CW will break the cycle. While he hasn't beaten a good team yet, I think he will be able to. I don't have the same confidence in Eberflus ... if CW does it it will be despite ME.
Who are you?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Like you I have been a Bears fan for a long, long time, 1961 for me. Like every other fan on this site, we have never seen a franchise quarterback.........until now. CW has that kind of ability. Right now, he can do more with the ball than most NFL QBs, but what is most impressive about is his game is from the neck up.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
@chuck3671 If you're winning a lot of games, chances are you're beating up some bad teams. There's always going to be roughly half the teams above .500 and half below. By virtue of you being a winning team, you've tipped the balance in favor of creating more losing teams.

That said, yea, we've beat up some bad teams so far. That's a good thing as you can only play who's in front of you, and better now than later so Caleb can get his sea legs for the big boys later.

It's quite possible that our last 8 games are against teams above .500. That'll tell us a lot.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When people say they’ve “been a Bears fan since” are they counting since the day they were born if they’re lifelong bears fans? Kinda strange tbh

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
When people say they’ve “been a Bears fan since” are they counting since the day they were born if they’re lifelong bears fans? Kinda strange tbh
No............since I was 11 years old and saw my first Bears game live.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have seen people toss out the "Bears fan since birth" like it's genetic or something. I don't get it either. I didn't even start watching football until I was 12 or 13 because my dad couldn't stand it.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I think that your reasoning is probably why this, right here, is the high point of the season. Good thing we have an extra week to enjoy it.

A lot of us don't really care that much about our record this year nearly as much as we care about William's progression and him taking big strides at playing this position. Seeing the field more quickly and finding open guys more quickly when next year starts would be huge.

Our O line is obviously a problem and the main reason our offense can't really reach its potential. Next year, hopefully we make improvements so it's not the problem it is right now.

Our defense has played great but here's the thing with turnovers to my way of thinking--when you play good teams, turnovers aren't going to happen very often and when you have a defense predicated on getting turnovers, that's obviously a recipe for not great stuff when you play good teams.

So I think this year will look a lot like your examples above, we win against bad teams and mostly lose against good teams.