CapGeek Scenario Thread

N3

Liked Posts:
So Trustmuse, Captain Iago, USCChifan, and Myself were discussing the Hawks in the chat box and it sparked me to mess with capgeek.com calculator.

After messing around a bit, I found a way for the Hawks to keep Patrick Sharp, re-sign Niemi and get a decent backup tender while remaining under the cap.

Now this all hinges on a few things...Jordan Hendry (625k) and Brian Bickell (500k) playing for what they made last year, and Antti Niemi coming in around 2.5 mil in arbitration.

Top 6 Forwards:
Jonathan Toews
Patrick Kane
Marian Hossa
Patrick Sharp
David Bolland
Troy Brouwer

Bottom 6 Forwards:
Tomas Kopecky
Viktor Stalberg
Marcus Kruger
Jack Skille
Jake Dowell
Brian Bickell

Defensemen:
Brian Campbell
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Shawn Lalonde
Jordan Hendry
John Scott

Goaltenders:
Antti Niemi
Manny Legace (500k)

Now Legace is one of 2 goaltenders I think the Hawks could get in this situation. Stephen Valiquette could also be plugged in and still work. You could also go with Crawford (800k, would be pushing it), or Hannu Toivonen (550k) and still be alright.

This puts the Hawks @ 21 players, and about 285K under the Cap.

edit* I forgot to mention that this would mean dealing Reasoner.

Last edited:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're missing a pic of Stan :shifty:
stan.jpg

Last edited:

N3

Liked Posts:
On the flip side...If you took out Bickell, added Reasoner and Niemi took 2.1 or maybe 2.2 in arbitration it would also work.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone says Niemi is gone...people are jumping ahead of themselves.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Im liking the forwards very much as well as the Defense.

I'd be fine with Toivonen, Legace, or Crawford backing up Niemi if he is retained.

If Niemi leaves, i'd see if Turco would be willing to sign really cheap for a shot at a cup, or have a Toivonen, Crawford tandem

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
On the flip side...If you took out Bickell, added Reasoner and Niemi took 2.1 or maybe 2.2 in arbitration it would also work.

Bickell is all but guaranteed a roster spot. I expect reasoner to be in Rockford/traded by the beginning of the season

N3

Liked Posts:
Everyone says Niemi is gone...people are jumping ahead of themselves.

The Hawks limit for Niemi without making another big move is 2.5 mil. If he gets anything higher then that you will see someone like Sharp being moved, or the Hawks going in another direction.

Im liking the forwards very much as well as the Defense.

I'd be fine with Toivonen, Legace, or Crawford backing up Niemi if he is retained.

If Niemi leaves, i'd see if Turco would be willing to sign really cheap for a shot at a cup, or have a Toivonen, Crawford tandem

The forwards were very scary if you took Sharp out, with him back in there I would agree that it does not seem all doom and gloom.

Defensemen will still be pretty solid, adding Lalonde could prove to work out well. He adds a youth and speed, and is also similar to Campbell in the way he can move the puck.

I would prefer not to rock Crawford and Toivonen, while we were proved wrong with Niemi, Id rather not roll the dice again on two young unproven guys.

Bickell is all but guaranteed a roster spot. I expect reasoner to be in Rockford/traded by the beginning of the season

I would much rather have Bickell up, and I forgot about Reasoner going to Rockford so that makes this situation even more plausible.

N3

Liked Posts:
Here are the way the numbers would break down...

Top 6 Forwards:
Jonathan Toews (6.3mil)
Patrick Kane (6.3mil)
Marian Hossa (5.275mil)
Patrick Sharp (3.9mil)
David Bolland (3.375mil)
Troy Brouwer (1.025mil)

Bottom 6 Forwards:
Tomas Kopecky (1.2mil)
Viktor Stalberg (850k)
Marcus Kruger (735k)
Jack Skille (600k)
Jake Dowell (525k)
Brian Bickell (500k)

Defensemen:
Brian Campbell (7.142mil)
Duncan Keith (5.538mil)
Brent Seabrook (3.5mil)
Niklas Hjalmarsson (3.5mil)
Shawn Lalonde (773k)
Jordan Hendry (625k)
John Scott (512k)

Goaltenders:
Antti Niemi (2.5mil)
Manny Legace (500k)

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
The Hawks limit for Niemi without making another big move is 2.5 mil. If he gets anything higher then that you will see someone like Sharp being moved, or the Hawks going in another direction.

I am totally not trying to be a douche, but do you have a link saying that is their limit? I actually want to see it, im not questioning you.

The forwards were very scary if you took Sharp out, with him back in there I would agree that it does not seem all doom and gloom.
Agree 100%

Defensemen will still be pretty solid, adding Lalonde could prove to work out well. He adds a youth and speed, and is also similar to Campbell in the way he can move the puck.

This is where our farm system comes in handy, we can win in 2 situations. Either we have 2 great puck moving defensemen on our bottom 2 pairings (which is pretty deadly) or we can move campbell seeing as we may have a perfect replacement. (The hard part would be finding a suitor for him, perhaps the Islanders who haven't hit the salary floor?)

I would prefer not to rock Crawford and Toivonen, while we were proved wrong with Niemi, Id rather not roll the dice again on two young unproven guys.

Agree, that was my last resort, id look into Turco to see if he will play dirt cheap for a chance at a cup
I would much rather have Bickell up, and I forgot about Reasoner going to Rockford so that makes this situation even more plausible.
Bickell was offered a multi year deal, so its basically a given that he gets a roster spot

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Here are the way the numbers would break down...

Top 6 Forwards:
Jonathan Toews (6.3mil)
Patrick Kane (6.3mil)
Marian Hossa (5.275mil)
Patrick Sharp (3.9mil)
David Bolland (3.375mil)
Troy Brouwer (1.025mil)

Bottom 6 Forwards:
Tomas Kopecky (1.2mil)
Viktor Stalberg (850k)
Marcus Kruger (735k)
Jack Skille (600k)
Jake Dowell (525k)
Brian Bickell (500k)

Defensemen:
Brian Campbell (7.142mil)
Duncan Keith (5.538mil)
Brent Seabrook (3.5mil)
Niklas Hjalmarsson (3.5mil)
Shawn Lalonde (773k)
Jordan Hendry (625k)
John Scott (512k)

Goaltenders:
Antti Niemi (2.5mil)
Manny Legace (500k)
God that is hard to look at. :lmao:

N3

Liked Posts:
I am totally not trying to be a douche, but do you have a link saying that is their limit? I actually want to see it, im not questioning you.

That is a number I came up on my own. If Niemi were to get anything over, I dont see any way the Hawks can get by without making a move. If he gets 3mil or 3.5 you would have to deal someone who makes a 1mil+ so you are looking at dealing Kopecky or Sharp in that case.

This is where our farm system comes in handy, we can win in 2 situations. Either we have 2 great puck moving defensemen on our bottom 2 pairings (which is pretty deadly) or we can move campbell seeing as we may have a perfect replacement. (The hard part would be finding a suitor for him, perhaps the Islanders who haven't hit the salary floor?)

I think dealing Campbell will be next to impossible, but you are right Lalonde could play the same role as Campbell. Which is nice going forward.

Agree, that was my last resort, id look into Turco to see if he will play dirt cheap for a chance at a cup

Iago said in the chat box that he turned down a 3year deal for 6mil. So he turned down 2mil without even playing the field, I would be surprised if he went that low. And I mean if you are going to pay him any where near 2-3mil, why not just re-sign Niemi?

Bickell was offered a multi year deal, so its basically a given that he gets a roster spot

Agreed, Boynton was also offered a deal, but im not sure what he is looking at getting. [/QUOTE]

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
That is a number I came up on my own. If Niemi were to get anything over, I dont see any way the Hawks can get by without making a move. If he gets 3mil or 3.5 you would have to deal someone who makes a 1mil+ so you are looking at dealing Kopecky or Sharp in that case.

I think dealing Campbell will be next to impossible, but you are right Lalonde could play the same role as Campbell. Which is nice going forward.

Iago said in the chat box that he turned down a 3year deal for 6mil. So he turned down 2mil without even playing the field, I would be surprised if he went that low. And I mean if you are going to pay him any where near 2-3mil, why not just re-sign Niemi?

Agreed, Boynton was also offered a deal, but im not sure what he is looking at getting.
[/QUOTE]

Campbell and Reasoner SHOULD and WILL go before Sharp, im almost sure about that, and they both make over the 1mil mark

Do we know where that deal is from though? If Edmonton came to me and offered me that and Chicago offered me .5 or even .75k less I would take Chicago just because I have a chance at winning.

This is all speculation however because it all depends on what Niemi gets at Arbitration, our offseason is basically on hold until then

N3

Liked Posts:

Campbell and Reasoner SHOULD and WILL go before Sharp, im almost sure about that, and they both make over the 1mil mark

This is with Reasoner gone...so you have to factor in another player making over a mil. And like I said the likelyhood of Campbell being dealt is not so high, so it almost comes down to Sharp or Kopecky.

Do we know where that deal is from though? If Edmonton came to me and offered me that and Chicago offered me .5 or even .75k less I would take Chicago just because I have a chance at winning.

That deal came from Philly.

This is all speculation however because it all depends on what Niemi gets at Arbitration, our offseason is basically on hold until then

Yes it is all speculation, but its also a way to get an idea on how things could play out.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
What's harder to look at, Brian Campbell's contract or Soriano's contract?
Alright ya got me.....

:smug:
This is with Reasoner gone...so you have to factor in another player making over a mil. And like I said the likelyhood of Campbell being dealt is not so high, so it almost comes down to Sharp or Kopecky.

Ya, Kopecky is the no brainer there. hahaha

That deal came from Philly.

Hmmm, well thats interesting then. If Niemi gets more than 3 mil, I say offer Turco the 2.5 or even 2.75

With a sub-par defense in front of him, Turco put up similar numbers to Niemi (who had probably the leagues best defense in front of him)

GAA:
Turco-2.72
Niemi-2.25

Sv%:
Turco-.913
Niemi-.913

N3

Liked Posts:
Alright ya got me.....

:smug:

Ya, Kopecky is the no brainer there. hahaha

Hmmm, well thats interesting then. If Niemi gets more than 3 mil, I say offer Turco the 2.5 or even 2.75

With a sub-par defense in front of him, Turco put up similar numbers to Niemi (who had probably the leagues best defense in front of him)

GAA:
Turco-2.72
Niemi-2.25

Sv%:
Turco-.913
Niemi-.913

I think it all depends...If Niemi gets 3mil even, I think you fork over the extra 500k..I mean llike you posted they are similar except for one glaring difference..Niemi is much much younger. If we are talking one year and done, age doesnt play a factor, but im looking more towards Niemi being around for a while.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I think it all depends...If Niemi gets 3mil even, I think you fork over the extra 500k..I mean llike you posted they are similar except for one glaring difference..Niemi is much much younger. If we are talking one year and done, age doesnt play a factor, but im looking more towards Niemi being around for a while.

If the Hawks (and Niemi) were smart, Niemi would sign a one year deal, with a minimal raise. Somehwere around 1.75-2 mil. (Still a hefty 1mil raise)

Then, next offseason when we regain the 5 mil extra in cap space we lost to bonuses, IF Niemi played up to his potential again and had a good season, then he gets his raise. Now idk if he would do that, but that would work nice for the Hawks.

The only problem with this is that Seabs will be due a contract also, but another year off Campbell's contract might make it moveable clearing up alot of cap space (7.3 mil I believe)

N3

Liked Posts:
If the Hawks (and Niemi) were smart, Niemi would sign a one year deal, with a minimal raise. Somehwere around 1.75-2 mil. (Still a hefty 1mil raise)

Then, next offseason when we regain the 5 mil extra in cap space we lost to bonuses, IF Niemi played up to his potential again and had a good season, then he gets his raise. Now idk if he would do that, but that would work nice for the Hawks.

The only problem with this is that Seabs will be due a contract also, but another year off Campbell's contract might make it moveable clearing up alot of cap space (7.3 mil I believe)

In a perfect world that would work, and it might depending on arbitration.

Seabrook is iffy to me, I love the guy, but he is going to want close to Keith money and im not sure if they do that. Now if they can trade Campbell, hell yea sign Seabs up for the long haul and we are golden.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
IDK how Seabs can ask for Keith money...he definately isnt worth it.

Like I said, with another year off Campbells contract, it will be that much more moveable. With the raises and (maybe) campbells contract coming off the book, that will give us around 12.5 mil in free space to lock up Seabs, Niemi, and maybe upgrade those bottom 2 forward lines.

But again, this is all speculation, but in a perfect world, this would be great IMO.

Anyway, im off to bed now. I gotta be up in 3 hours, then work a 10 hour shift tomorrow. Goodnight