Carlos Marmol’s reign of terror has ended; Kyuji Fujikawa to close for Cubs

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-chicago-cubs--fujikawa-marmol-20130407,0,4889825.story

ATLANTA -- Japanese reliever Kyuji Fujikawa was expected to replace Carlos Marmol as the Chicago Cubs closer in 2014 after Marmol's three-year contract ended. Instead, Fujikawa moved into the closer's role six games into the 2013 season.

Manager Dale Sveum made the announcement Sunday morning at Turner Field, hours after Marmol blew a save by serving up ninth inning home runs to B.J. Upton and Justin Upton.

"We talked to them both, so we're all done with that," Sveum said.

Marmol lost the closer's job early in 2012, but won it back after Rafael Dolis failed in his opportunity. Can Marmol return this year?

"Yeah, there's a chance," Sveum said. "Hopefully Fujikawa takes it and runs with it and does a great job so we don't have to even deal with that. Obviously Marmol is going to pitch in less stressful situations and get his confidence back."

After Saturday's loss, Sveum mentioned Shawn Camp and James Russell as his options. Fujikawa gave up three runs in the eighth to put the Braves back into the game.

"I said those were our options," Sveum said Sunday. "But that's one reason why we signed (Fujikawa), in case something like this happened. In Japan, he's always done it many many times and is comfortable getting the last three outs, so it was kind of the logical thing to do."

Last edited:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's only pitched like shit 1 game in a row so I'll take my chances

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm good with that and have complete faith in Fujikawa. Even after yesterday's game. He didn't pitch good, but it wasn't as bad as shown.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm good with that and have complete faith in Fujikawa. Even after yesterday's game. He didn't pitch good, but it wasn't as bad as shown.

you must've been watching a different game than I was yesterday. KujiFuji was bad. His splitter wasn't hitting his spots, and they were sitting on the fastball.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? Keep Marmol in there, what happened to building up trade value? What happened to the team having faith in Marmol, come on Sveum...we're only a few games into the season, he'll get better right?

What a sorry organization

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
you must've been watching a different game than I was yesterday. KujiFuji was bad. His splitter wasn't hitting his spots, and they were sitting on the fastball.

The spitter was bad, but that should have never been a double by Upton and 2 of the hits were hit on the oppoite of the shift. I'm not saying the Cubs would have got it either way, but you never know.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? Keep Marmol in there, what happened to building up trade value? What happened to the team having faith in Marmol, come on Sveum...we're only a few games into the season, he'll get better right?

What a sorry organization

Yes, you can build his trade value. But no wants to see him in the 9th again. The Cubs are going no where, but why watch him... makes no sense. He has a better chance raising value as just a RP or set-up and maybe get something for him still.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Fukijawa 2013=Shingo Takatsu 2004? or Shingo Takatsu 2005!!!!!1!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They don't have a lot in common from a pitching standpoint

HI THIS IS JI-

What you mean two players from the same country that play the same position aren't exactly the same type of players?
:gtfo:

Last edited:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The spitter was bad, but that should have never been a double by Upton and 2 of the hits were hit on the oppoite of the shift. I'm not saying the Cubs would have got it either way, but you never know.

Is that a new pitch? What's a spitter? :thinking: