1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
JAMES RUSSELL! WTF?

CHICAGO -- The Cubs will consider lefty James Russell as well as right-hander Andrew Cashner for the rotation and let them compete in Spring Training with the other pitchers on the roster.

Manager Mike Quade plans to talk to pitching coach Mark Riggins as well as Russell and Cashner this week while all are in Chicago for the Cubs Caravan and Cubs Convention.

Russell was a starter in the Minor Leagues in 2007 and '08, but switched to the bullpen in '09. Last season with the Cubs, he was used strictly as a reliever, appearing in 57 games and compiling a 4.96 ERA.

Cashner fans two in relief
00:00:37
8/19/10: Cubs pitcher Andrew Cashner pitches a scoreless ninth inning, striking out two Padres
Tags: More From This Game, Andrew Cashner, highlight reel, Chicago Cubs, pitchingShare:
Facebook
Twitter
Email
Related Video

Cashner is solid in relief

Russell fans Rasmus

Russell fans Votto
The Cubs could have three lefties in the bullpen in John Grabow, Sean Marshall and Scott Maine. The rotation is very right-handed, with Tom Gorzelanny as the only southpaw option.

Cashner would like to start, too. He did that exclusively in the Minor Leagues, but when called up to the Cubs, he was used strictly out of the bullpen and posted a 4.80 ERA in 53 games. He finished strong, with a 1.40 ERA in his final 18 appearances. The difference? The right-hander said he had better command of his fastball.

He and Russell will head to Arizona next week to start training at the team's facility. Cashner said his offseason routine hasn't changed from last year.

"It's still the same workouts," he said. "I've been throwing a little more, long toss. I haven't thrown off a mound yet. I'm just trying to get my arm in shape. We still have a lot left until Spring Training. I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

The Cubs would appear to have a lot of pitching depth with the addition of Matt Garza to a rotation that already has Gorzelanny, Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster, Carlos Silva and Randy Wells. Quade said the competition is good.

Who will be the Cubs' Opening Day starter?

"I have no idea," Quade said. "What I do know is I have three great pitchers to choose from. There are too many variables to look at, but there's no question that Garza is in the mix. We'll take a look at 'Z' and 'Demp' and 'Garz.'"

:turrible:

C'mon, just give Cashner a spot!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is this bad? If Russell actually beats Cash Money, then he deserves it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I don't there to be any chance Cash stays in the pen. If he stays there this year, he'll probably end up spending his career there. :(

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You really think they will/want them to send down Cashner???

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
JAMES RUSSELL! WTF?

!

That's exactly the reaction i had when i saw the article. I kid you not. In all honesty, i never even thought he was considered as a future starter, i thought he was a reliever. No shame in that, but i just didn't know Cubs have plans to make him as starter...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He'll probably beat Russell anyway. But I can't stand to see Cash not starting anymore, and I'd kill myself if he was sent down (which means CO will become Ruseell's biggest fan, because I'll be dead, and he will tank Russell).

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL @ Russel over Cashner in the rotation.

In a season where the cubs most likely will not be a part of October, give cashner the ball and have him pitch in the majors and see how he does. why experiment down the road, when down the road you could contend.

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont see Russell as MLB SP...I think they just want some competition for Cashner...

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
i agree....if Cash doesn't come out and blow it in spring training he will get the nod