Charley Rosen Talks Offseason Moves

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Poor analysis on Ben Gordon. A lateral move? Iverson averaged less points, on a way less efficiency. With the current perimeter rules, there isn't much difference defensively going from a player like Gordon to a player like Hinrich on defense. Good scorers at the shooting spot score, regardless of who they're going up. Pietrus for example was praised for great defense on Lebron in the conference finals, but was absolutely torched (Lebron scored something like 39 points a game on 61 TS%).

I don't think Detroit's done dealing yet. I've seen that they're in talks with Carlos Boozer.

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

It's hard to project how the team will do. There is plenty of offensive talent on that team. I think Dumars vision is to load up the team with offensive talent, and bring in a coach like Avery Johnson, who will instill good defensive sets, and work with the big men on defensive positioning. (If you look back at Avery's time with the Mavericks, he worked wonders with Dirk in lowpost defense).

It could work. We saw Dumars bring in Billups and Wallace, two no-namers, a guy his team was trying to dump in a trade for expiring contracts, and Rip Hamilton, a guy Jordan didn't want on the team and Tayshaun Prince to the championship.

Replace Billups, Hamilton, Wallace, and Wallace with Stuckey, Gordon, Villanueva, and Boozer, we could be seeing the same thing again. And Boozer and Villanueva are a lot better than Billups and Wallace when they came to the Pistons.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I think Rosen is right on, difference of opinion. I have already said these things without reading Rosen's column, though I wouldn't call the Gordon move a lateral move. He is not a better player than Iverson, expect Iverson to have a hell of a season this coming year if healthy.

Some of Rosen's other observations are worth noting too. I read Rosen a lot, maybe the best basketball writer on the planet. He really goes in depth with detail and talks the game. That is why I wouldn't just throw his analysis away.

BTW, Avery is a good coach who loves his religion, he would have to go polytheistic and worship God, Allah and everything else to get that group to play some defense.

Here is another column by Rosen, gets real detailed about Shaq's strengths and weaknesses.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9730574/Shaq's-being-brought-in-for-a-single-purpose

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Why on earth would the Jazz trade Boozer for Hamilton? If they're trading Boozer it's for salary reasons and Hamilton will end up costing them more.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Poor analysis on Ben Gordon. A lateral move? Iverson averaged less points, on a way less efficiency. With the current perimeter rules, there isn't much difference defensively going from a player like Gordon to a player like Hinrich on defense. Good scorers at the shooting spot score, regardless of who they're going up. Pietrus for example was praised for great defense on Lebron in the conference finals, but was absolutely torched (Lebron scored something like 39 points a game on 61 TS%).

I don't think Detroit's done dealing yet. I've seen that they're in talks with Carlos Boozer.

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

It's hard to project how the team will do. There is plenty of offensive talent on that team. I think Dumars vision is to load up the team with offensive talent, and bring in a coach like Avery Johnson, who will instill good defensive sets, and work with the big men on defensive positioning. (If you look back at Avery's time with the Mavericks, he worked wonders with Dirk in lowpost defense).

It could work. We saw Dumars bring in Billups and Wallace, two no-namers, a guy his team was trying to dump in a trade for expiring contracts, and Rip Hamilton, a guy Jordan didn't want on the team and Tayshaun Prince to the championship.

Replace Billups, Hamilton, Wallace, and Wallace with Stuckey, Gordon, Villanueva, and Boozer, we could be seeing the same thing again. And Boozer and Villanueva are a lot better than Billups and Wallace when they came to the Pistons.

Charlie at the 5? lmao

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
Why on earth would the Jazz trade Boozer for Hamilton? If they're trading Boozer it's for salary reasons and Hamilton will end up costing them more.

They might see Hamilton as a good fit for their team on the court, and an upgrade at the shooting guard spot.

Just because the Bulls are unwilling to go into the luxury tax for basketball reasons, doesn't mean that other teams are unwilling to make moves that they think improve them as a basketball team.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Hamilton would be an improvement offensively over anyone they start there currently.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

Charlie at the 5? lmao

He has the size to do it. 6'9" without shoes, 9'1" standing reach, 237 pounds (when he entered the league, so he's probably a bit bigger now). So he's around 6'10.75" if he wears normal shoes, and not the flip flops he wore at the draft combine (which would also increase his standing reach to near 9'2.25" with normal shoes.)

He's a big mismatch on the offensive end offensively. With his three point shooting ability, he'd be able to draw centers out of the lane to allow for penetration (which will be good for a guy like Gordon who can take his man off the dribble). And if they don't come out, he can drain the three.

He's not a perfect fit, but who knows what happens with guys like Gordon and Villanueva in Detroit. Detroit is a lot better basketball organization than Chicago and Milwaukee are. When Ben Wallace left the Bulls, he talked about what a bad organization the Bulls were, and how they were cheating the players developmentally. Maybe Gordon and Villanueva blossom into legitimate stars in Detroit. We already saw it happen with Billups, Hamilton, and Wallace.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Shakes wrote:

They might see Hamilton as a good fit for their team on the court, and an upgrade at the shooting guard spot.

Just because the Bulls are unwilling to go into the luxury tax for basketball reasons, doesn't mean that other teams are unwilling to make moves that they think improve them as a basketball team.

Yes, the same team that has been begging teams to take AK for an expiring contract (and hasn't been able to find a taker, because he's vastly overpaid) is now suddenly had a change of heart and wants to give the orphans of Utah a basketball extravaganza at all costs.

Give me a break.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

Charlie at the 5? lmao

He has the size to do it. 6'9" without shoes, 9'1" standing reach, 237 pounds (when he entered the league, so he's probably a bit bigger now). So he's around 6'10.75" if he wears normal shoes, and not the flip flops he wore at the draft combine (which would also increase his standing reach to near 9'2.25" with normal shoes.)

He's a big mismatch on the offensive end offensively. With his three point shooting ability, he'd be able to draw centers out of the lane to allow for penetration (which will be good for a guy like Gordon who can take his man off the dribble). And if they don't come out, he can drain the three.

He's not a perfect fit, but who knows what happens with guys like Gordon and Villanueva in Detroit. Detroit is a lot better basketball organization than Chicago and Milwaukee are. When Ben Wallace left the Bulls, he talked about what a bad organization the Bulls were, and how they were cheating the players developmentally. Maybe Gordon and Villanueva blossom into legitimate stars in Detroit. We already saw it happen with Billups, Hamilton, and Wallace.

Charlie at Center? Are you kidding me? Have you watched Villanueva play? Does he block shots? No. Does he defend 4's well? No, mostly he guards 3's. Does he have offensive post moves or is he a turn and face guy? He is a turn in face guy who likes to go outside, also he is so under weight for Centers. Is Skiles going to the D'Antoni system?

Also why would you use something that hasn't happened in your argument? Boozer is not on the Pistons therefore the entire argument doesn't work, we can't criticize Rosen's article based on something you believe is going to happen, lets see if it does first.

Gordon is an upgrade over Iverson because of the future aspects but as far as helping the team I agree that they are lateral moves. They are losing big men and replacing them with swingmen that play the same position as there best 2 players Hamilton and Prince so how were these good moves other than picking up a better scoring option at the same position as your previous best scorer?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Hendu0520 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

Charlie at the 5? lmao

Charlie at Center? Are you kidding me? Have you watched Villanueva play? Does he block shots? No. Does he defend 4's well? No, mostly he guards 3's. Does he have offensive post moves or is he a turn and face guy? He is a turn in face guy who likes to go outside, also he is so under weight for Centers. Is Skiles going to the D'Antoni system?

Also why would you use something that hasn't happened in your argument? Boozer is not on the Pistons therefore the entire argument doesn't work, we can't criticize Rosen's article based on something you believe is going to happen, lets see if it does first.

Gordon is an upgrade over Iverson because of the future aspects but as far as helping the team I agree that they are lateral moves. They are losing big men and replacing them with swingmen that play the same position as there best 2 players Hamilton and Prince so how were these good moves other than picking up a better scoring option at the same position as your previous best scorer?

My criticism of Rosen had nothing to do with Villanueva or Boozer.

Gordon over Iverson is not a lateral move. Last year, Gordon averaged 20.7 PPG on 57.4 TS%. For the Pistons last year, Iverson averaged 17.2 PPG on 50.2 TS%. Gordon is a HUGE upgrade scoring wise over Iverson.

Iverson was a bad locker room presence as well.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Hendu0520 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

Charlie at the 5? lmao

Gordon over Iverson is not a lateral move. Last year, Gordon averaged 20.7 PPG on 57.4 TS%. For the Pistons last year, Iverson averaged 17.2 PPG on 50.2 TS%. Gordon is a HUGE upgrade scoring wise over Iverson.

I agreed Gordon is an upgrade but you have to look at their team makeup. Iverson was brought in as another undersized 2 guard and it didn't workout. Yes Gordon will be more pleasant when asked to come off the bench but so what. How was their big move improving on a better piece that didn't help the team anyway. They lost Wallace and McDyess their 2 starting Bigs and picked up 2 players at the 2 and 3 spots, to me that is improving your depth and bench before making sure you have a starting team, right now the Bulls Bigs look scary to the Pistons who have Maxiell and Amir Johnson ooh. There team is no better if not worse than last year as of right now.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Yes, the same team that has been begging teams to take AK for an expiring contract (and hasn't been able to find a taker, because he's vastly overpaid) is now suddenly had a change of heart and wants to give the orphans of Utah a basketball extravaganza at all costs.

Give me a break.

What people are forgetting is that Utah desperately wants to cut payroll. Boozer and Okur exercised their options and stayed. Utah wasn't happy, believe me.

And no, they are not going to take on a long term expensive contract that pays roughly the same amount of money in a trade for Boozer. Makes no sense.

senrad

Liked Posts:
AK for expiring contracts anyone? He was magic playing the 4 before Boozer came. I'm not supporting this idea just spit-balling.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hendu0520 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
Hendu0520 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

PG-Rodney Stuckey
SG-Ben Gordon
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Carlos Boozer
C- Charlie Villanueva

Charlie at the 5? lmao

I agreed Gordon is an upgrade but you have to look at their team makeup. Iverson was brought in as another undersized 2 guard and it didn't workout. Yes Gordon will be more pleasant when asked to come off the bench but so what. How was their big move improving on a better piece that didn't help the team anyway. They lost Wallace and McDyess their 2 starting Bigs and picked up 2 players at the 2 and 3 spots, to me that is improving your depth and bench before making sure you have a starting team, right now the Bulls Bigs look scary to the Pistons who have Maxiell and Amir Johnson ooh. There team is no better if not worse than last year as of right now.
Actually, I believe they traded Amir for Fabricio Orberto.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
When I look at the Pistons, I see nothing more than a mess of offense. I have no idea what they're trying to build in Detriot.

The team I like going forward are the Hawks. They trade for JC, drafted probably the best guard in the draft long term, and still resigned Mike Bibby. I would've had a problem with the Hawks trading for Crawford if they was going to put him at the one, but at the two I think he'll do just fine.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Iverson had a bad year, Gordon is only a huge upgrade over Iverson offensively if Iverson is dead. We should call it an upgrade mostly because of intangibles, and leave it at that.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
expect Iverson to have a hell of a season this coming year if healthy.

Why would anyone expect that? He is 34 years old, selfish, a cancer in the locker room, a coach killer, inefficient, not very explosive anymore, can't carry a team anymore, among other things. I have no reason to expect a hell of a season and every reason to believe that if he plays anywhere, he will do more harm than good to the team.

I have long thought that he will retire sprewell style.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't think Iverson has fallen off quite that badly yet. Maybe he has learned his lessons, maybe not. If you should have learned anything about Iverson its that he is resilient. But as he has been productive in the past, I expect that he has some productivity left.

senrad

Liked Posts:
Nothing I saw from him last year leads me to believe this but I see a big year coming for him too.