chase headley (cubs)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
San Diego third baseman Chase Headley says he doesn’t want to speculate about his future address — especially when it comes to the persistent trade rumors that have him headed to any of a half-dozen other teams by the end of July.

But if he reaches free agency after next season, he doesn’t seem to be ruling out the North Side as a potential destination.

“Wrigley’s a special place. Chicago’s a special city,” he said before doubling home a run in San Diego’s 13-7 victory over the Cubs Tuesday night. “The enthusiasm, the atmosphere that you play in front of everyday is obviously something that would be attractive to a lot of players.”

Chase Headley will not negotiate a long-term contract with the San Diego Padres during the season, the third baseman's agent confirmed Thursday.

The Padres have stated that general manager Josh Byrnes has clearance to sign Headley to a deal. The impasse could possibly lead to the Padres trading Headley, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2014 season.

Jim Murray, Headley's agent, claimed that the Padres were informed prior to this season that Headley would not discuss an extension once the year began -- and his intention is to stick with that stance

Murray's assertion came one day after Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler told U-T San Diego that the team is preparing to offer Headley a multiyear deal that would make him the highest-paid player in franchise history.

"Will it be 10 years? No," Fowler told the paper. "We're not going to do something like that. But we will do an offer that will be the largest offer we've ever made to a player in San Diego history and think it will be very close to some of the numbers I read in the press."

San Diego officials could try to coax Headley into a deal before the July 31 trade deadline. But if the Padres are unable to do that, they may want to market the third baseman in possible deals to try to get as much value for him as possible.

this would be an interesting one to watch and see if headley wants to take an extension and stay in SD or if not, if the padres would look to deal him possibly in off season to try and get a return for him.
im sure hoyer keeping an eye on this one..

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely, but while he wouldn't cost as much in prospects as getting, say, David Price or Giancarlo Stanton, Chase Headley is still going to command a big return and I don't know that the Cubs want to do that yet. But perhaps they can surprise us.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
bearz99,

“Wrigley’s a special place. Chicago’s a special city,” he said before doubling home a run in San Diego’s 13-7 victory over the Cubs Tuesday night. “The enthusiasm, the atmosphere that you play in front of everyday is obviously something that would be attractive to a lot of players.”

How can this be???

The Cubs don't have a jumbotron of fancy clubhouse. You have already stated over on CBS and others have stated here that the Cubs simply can't attract free agents without those two things.

He will also be 29 a year from now so won't be 33-34 at the earliest before the Cubs would be ready to compete and most have said it is dumb to actually try and make the team better before the miraculous entire core of the team is developed all at the same time by the farm system.

Signing him would go against almost everything that most of the message board experts have said would be smart.

I however would think it wouldn't be the best thing to do based on the fact that almost half his career HR's came last year. I'd like to see him duplicate last year before I would have any interest in signing him.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
bearz99,

How can this be???

The Cubs don't have a jumbotron of fancy clubhouse. You have already stated over on CBS and others have stated here that the Cubs simply can't attract free agents without those two things.

He will also be 29 a year from now so won't be 33-34 at the earliest before the Cubs would be ready to compete and most have said it is dumb to actually try and make the team better before the miraculous entire core of the team is developed all at the same time by the farm system.

Signing him would go against almost everything that most of the message board experts have said would be smart.

I however would think it wouldn't be the best thing to do based on the fact that almost half his career HR's came last year. I'd like to see him duplicate last year before I would have any interest in signing him.

I am still trying to figure out when the "core" is going to get here. Because at 100+ losses, would say the core of, say 5 players, is about 5 players short.

Love the sarcasm though!!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would do it. 3B is at a premium right now.

Every 3B worth their salt are getting locked up by their teams due to this league wide shortage at 3B.

I get the prove himself issue but if they wait his asking price skyrockets.

I wouldn't pay out Baez on him. But I'd pay Vogelbach, Alcantara and Cabrera for him.

Now the whole waiting for the core to develop is almost laughable as an excuse for losing.

Making trades with talent puts the core on the field.

Vs maybe in 3 years if they don't bottom out.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Love the sarcasm though!!

Me???

Sarcastic???

Never!!!!

Haven't you been listening??

The core is going to be here in like 3 years when Baez, Soler, Almora are ALL All Stars.

I mean, it isn't like this whole rebuilding project is based on that theory or anything

patg006

Liked Posts:
Me???

Sarcastic???

Never!!!!

The core is going to be here in like 3 years when Baez, Soler, Almora are ALL All Stars.

I mean, it isn't like this whole rebuilding project is based on that theory or anything

Martini cant contain himself right now after reading this

:fap:

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
Me???

Sarcastic???

Never!!!!

Ohhh...sorry. Forgot about all the All-Stars down in the minor leagues.

How lucky are we! To have so many future all-stars down in the minors all at once! I wonder if anything like this has ever been done before?? Ever??

Theo is awesome! I will gladly tank 5 seasons and wait till our future all-stars arrive. Silly me!

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's this from MLBTR and Rosenthal:

Chase Headley is probably going to be traded by the July 31st deadline. The Padres plan to spend the next two months determining whether they can lock up the third baseman long term, but there are two problems with that. For starters, Headley says he doesn't want to talk about a new deal during the season. Secondly, it would be surprising to see San Diego crack $100MM to keep him. Headley probably wants a better hitting environment and to play for a better team. Meanwhile, there's no shortage of teams that would like to add him as Rosenthal says there could be at least a dozen clubs in the market for a third baseman, including the Dodgers, Cubs, and White Sox.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
one could only hope that hoyer ties with the padres and headley could help get a reasonable deal done and an extension with headley..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
SAN DIEGO -- Third baseman Chase Headley told reporters Friday that he had a meeting with the team's executive chairman, Ron Fowler, in the afternoon to discuss the events of the last three days.

On Wednesday, Fowler said the team intended to make Headley a contract offer this season that would make him the highest-paid player in franchise history. On Thursday, Headley told MLB.com that his stance had not changed in that he would not negotiate a deal during the season.

Hours before the Padres faced the D-backs at Petco Park, Headley and Fowler talked.

"We had a good conversation," Headley said, standing in front of his locker. "He [Fowler] wanted me to know that he wasn't negotiating through the media. I appreciated that. I explained my position to him. We're good. There's no tension between us."

Headley, coming off a season in which he led the National League in RBIs (115) while winning the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove Awards, will not be a free agent until after the 2014 season.

"As of this point, nothing has changed," Headley said. "I'm trying to pour water on the fire. This is why I didn't want this to be in-season. I need to be completely focused. We're done with it for now."

Headley is making $8.575 million this year and is the second-highest-paid player on the team behind left fielder Carlos Quentin ($9.5 million).

Earlier this week, Fowler said he gave general manager Josh Byrnes the go-ahead to start negotiations with Headley on a longterm deal that, Fowler indicated, would make Headley the "highest-paid player in club history."

"We want him here; it's a priority to keep him here," Fowler said.

Headley, who missed the first 14 games of the season after fracturing the tip of his left thumb in Spring Training, went into Friday's game hitting .278 with three home runs and seven RBIs in 14 games. He's hitting .429 in his last five games.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like the Pads are gearing up for Headley at 3B and Gyroko at 2B going forward.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-re-start-contract-talks-with-chase-headley/

After failing to agree to a long-term contract extension with the Padres this offseason Chase Headley explained that the two sides “weren’t on the same page” and added that “this close to free agency, it has to be a good deal for us.”

Two months later Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that “Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler has given general manager Josh Byrnes the go-ahead to begin negotiations” with Headley and “the club is willing to make Headley the highest-paid player in franchise history.”

Of course, while “the highest-paid player in franchise history” sounds impressive it doesn’t actually mean a whole lot in this case, because the biggest contract in Padres history belongs to Jake Peavy at $52 million. And, well, Chase Headley is going to want much more than $54 million to bypass becoming a free agent following next season.

Headley is making $8.575 million this season and is arbitration eligible for the final time in 2014, when he’ll be in line for more than $10 million. A lot may depend on what type of follow-up season he ends up having after a career-year in 2012, but at age 28 it’s hard to imagine Headley taking less than, say, six years and $90 million.