Chicago Bears cap situation

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Putting this out there because I've seen a lot of people talking about how the Bears won't save money by trading certain players, and being completely wrong.

This gives you the correct information on what guys are making, what the dead cap would be if they were cut or traded, etc.

For those two lazy to click on the link, here are the players that could give the Bears the biggest savings if they were cut or traded before June 1st:

• Kyle Fuller : 9 mil in dead money, but cut or trade also saves you 11 million.
  • Alien Hicks: only 1.5 million in dead money. Cut or trade saves you 10.5 million
  • Charles Leno Jr: 5.1 million in dead money but cutting him saves you 6.2 million.
  • Bobby Massie: 3.9 million in dead money, but cutting him saves you 5.4 million.
  • Buster Skrine: 3.3 million in dead money, but cutting him saves you 2.7 million.
  • Jimmy Graham: 3 million in dead money, but cutting him saves you 7 million.
  • If you were so inclined, you could also cut James daniels, Anthony Miller, and Bilal Nichols, who combined have about 1.3 million in dead money but the savings would be 5 million.
I am not saying we should cut all of these players or trade them.

but people need to understand that dead money is dead money whether they play for us or someone else so it shouldn't enter into the equation. All that matters is the amount we save because that is what would get us under the cap to afford things like an Allen Robinson extension, or if people are so inclined to sign JJ Watt, etc.

And Just for kicks, cutting everyone saves you about 45 million I believe.

So let's just operate with actual numbers instead of talking out of our ass no matter what we are arguing.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What is the correlation between dead money and cap savings?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Dead money is money that counts against the cap for a player who's no longer on the team.

Cap saving is how much cutting or trading them saves you against the cap.

So if the Bears cut Hicks for example they would save $10.5m against the cap but leave $1.5m in dead money. If they kep him he would $12m against the cap.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dead money is just that - it counts against the cap no matter what. But it's already accounted for. Therefore it's not really worth bitching about unless you have a player who has a lot of dead money, no savings, and he plays like crap. That's the only scenario where dead money is relavent

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

Putting this out there because I've seen a lot of people talking about how the Bears won't save money by trading certain players, and being completely wrong.

This gives you the correct information on what guys are making, what the dead cap would be if they were cut or traded, etc.

For those two lazy to click on the link, here are the players that could give the Bears the biggest savings if they were cut or traded before June 1st:

• Kyle Fuller : 9 mil in dead money, but cut or trade also saves you 11 million.
  • Alien Hicks: only 1.5 million in dead money. Cut or trade saves you 10.5 million
  • Charles Leno Jr: 5.1 million in dead money but cutting him saves you 6.2 million.
  • Bobby Massie: 3.9 million in dead money, but cutting him saves you 5.4 million.
  • Buster Skrine: 3.3 million in dead money, but cutting him saves you 2.7 million.
  • If you were so inclined, you could also cut James daniels, Anthony Miller, and Bilal Nichols, who combined have about 1.3 million in dead money but the savings would be 5 million.

but people need to understand that dead money is dead money whether they play for us or someone else so it shouldn't enter into the equation. All that matters is the amount we save because that is what would get us under the cap to afford things like an Allen Robinson extension, or if people are so inclined to sign JJ Watt, etc.

So let's just operate with actual numbers instead of talking out of our ass no matter what we are arguing.

what makes it difficult to project is what happens at the qb spot...
1 - bears trade for a high priced vet qb (wentz, ryan, wilson) qb cap hit will 30 mill or higher.
2 - bears trade for a cheaper qb (carr, watson(2021 only), darnold, winston, smith, mariota) your looking at 10-15 mill

depending on the scenario, the bears will not have space to make the moves they need to. Robinson at the very least will be tagged at ~15 mill if a long term does not happen. If thats the case, at a minimum, the bears will have spent 25 mill on a qb and tagging robinson...this doesnt take into account re-signing players who are set to be free agents this offseason like gipson, edwards jr, o'donnell, patterson etc...

so to add a luxury signing like watt is premature at best. A lot of things have to fall the bears way in order to add luxury signings to this team...

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this is accurate Leno at least should be gone. Doubt he would be willing to renegotiate for a pay cut.

LMAO at "Alien Hicks" btw

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
While cutting hicks would create significant cap, the bears are in an all in season with jobs on the line. With Goldman back, and Pettine/Doc on board, hicks will likely be worth his salt this season. Are you going to get a more impactful player with the 10 mil saved? Likely not.

Skrine and Graham are the obvious cuts. Restructure fuller and hicks. Possibly Mack and Cody again.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cutting hicks is asinine. why get rid of your most impactful player?
The problem with Hicks is age and injury. If Hicks stay on the field, a great starting End and leader on the defense, there is no doubt in any Bear fan, but as you get older if the body does not hold, 12 million is a lot for a bod you count on to not be out there half the season.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hhat planet is Alien from ?

mecha

Liked Posts:
if I'm understanding the concept correctly the only guy on the list that would be beneficial to cut is Fuller.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
if I'm understanding the concept correctly the only guy on the list that would be beneficial to cut is Fuller.

The idea is there is a benefit to cutting anyone who does not give you a negative in the cap savings area.

The caveat is whether you have someone who is able to step up and replace them.

Hicks would be a huge savings, but who do we have that can really step in?

Conversely if you look at Leno and Massie, that's savings right there you can easily replace through the draft and Street free agents at a cheaper price.

Only people who show up in the red encap savings are people where it costs you to cut them.

Everything else is about whether or not you can justify the cost of keeping any of those players on the team versus having someone cheaper replace them. If it's going to be a significant talent drop off, then it likely isn't worth it.