Chicago Bears Problems Finally Bite Back: Post Game Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Coaching
I gave Mike Martz a lot of credit after our week two victory over the Cowboys. He adjusted his offensive scheme after the first quarter and took what the defense was giving him and that opened up some big plays. This week the problems were even worse and Martz seemed contempt with sitting back by sticking to his game plan and letting the situation fix itself, which obviously never happened. He seemed very arrogant by not making adjustments and trying to get the offense in a rhythm early by not calling more underneath routes.
Offensive Line
Everyone was praising our offensive on how they played much better after the first quarter during the Cowboys game. Yet they refuse to realize for whatever reason the Cowboys dialed back the blitzes and were trying to cover the short completions Cutler was making during that game. Our offensive line has been awful every quarter of every game thus far into the season. Outside of a couple nickleback blitzes the Giants simply dominated our line with their front four. They had no need to disguise exotic blitz packages they just simply dominated with the four men lined up in front of us. Also this group gets pushed a yard back off the line of scrimmage when run blocking, I mean it really is truly pathetic to watch this group play in the NFL.
Receivers
Our receivers could not get open but to be fair the Giants were dropping seven guys in coverage most of the game because they had all the pressure they needed from their defensive line.
Running Game
Matt Forte likes to use his vision and wait for holes to open up before he takes off up field. The problem is there is never a hole that opens up because our offensive line is a complete joke. Chester Taylor is smart enough to know that with this line once you find a shred of daylight you hit the "hole" as hard as you can. I am not saying Chester Taylor can fix this running game himself but he has been more effective than Forte and he should be getting the bulk of the carries at this point in time.
Cutler
I personally think Jay Cutler suffered that concussion much earlier in the game than people think. He over looked a lot of open routes and seemed to have not realize how long he was holding onto the ball. Not to mention he somehow did not notice the cornerback covering the flat on the pick he tried to lead to Greg Olsen. Who knows what was wrong with Jay maybe he was just waiting for the big play to open up but he was holding the ball way too long but I really think he was dazed after the beating he took early in that game. Not even Peyton Manning could have produced in that game. With no running game and the Giants getting pressure while dropping 7 guys in coverage he had the choice to either take a sack or throw into coverage.
Defense
Defense allowed a few big plays in the passing game and let the Giants run over us. They made up for it by causing 3 turnovers. Considering they only allowed 17 points with the Giants amazing field position and our offense going 3 and out every series there is nothing bad I can say. They played well enough. Tommie Harris played awful though, maybe it is time to move on without him because he has not been a factor during a game in a very long time.

Last edited:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I personally think Jay Cutler suffered that concussion much earlier in the game than people think. He over looked a lot of open routes and seemed to have not realize how long he was holding onto the ball. Not to mention he somehow did not notice the cornerback covering the flat on the pick he tried to lead to Greg Olsen. Who knows what was wrong with Jay maybe he was just waiting for the big play to open up but he was holding the ball way too long but I really think he was dazed after the beating he took early in that game.

Yeah thats definitely what I'm thinking. You had to figure all these hits would get to Jay eventually. We were all praising Martz in week two, now the tide has turned a bit against him. Thing is what will we do to adjust?

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Also this Giants team had a total of 6 sacks coming into this game, 4 of those were from Mathias Kiwanuka who did not dress. So the Giants came into the game with 2 sacks all season with the players on the field and did that to our offensive line.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
Yeah thats definitely what I'm thinking. You had to figure all these hits would get to Jay eventually. We were all praising Martz in week two, now the tide has turned a bit against him. Thing is what will we do to adjust?

yea, I wonder what adjustments can be made, what I want to see is more short passes, because that's about the only way to counter the rush without going full pass pro, and then it's not even that effective because the line can't block to save their lives.. I have no idea why martz kept trying to go deep or over the middle, after all the pounding jay was enduring.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
yea, I wonder what adjustments can be made, what I want to see is more short passes, because that's about the only way to counter the rush without going full pass pro, and then it's not even that effective because the line can't block to save their lives.. I have no idea why martz kept trying to go deep or over the middle, after all the pounding jay was enduring.

Martz should have called for most of our receiver to run short dump routes to counter the pass rush, but that never happen because with him it all or none and in this case it was none.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears really only allowed big plays in the passing and running towards the end of the game when they were tired as hell. This is how I grade then:

Coaching: F
RB: D
WR: D
OL: FFFFFFFF
Defense: A+++++++++++
Cutler: B (for taking hits and staying in. Showing his toughness)

The WR and RB probably don't deserve to be graded because they did nothing to be graded anhd that low. But, because they did do nothing, I just graded them like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.