Chicago Cubs Roster Taking Shape

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The regular season is less than two weeks away and teams will start to finalize their 25-man roster. The Chicago Cubs roster is taking shape and the 25-man roster is about set.

Here's the Cubs roster we will most likely see come opening day - minus trades, waiver pick-ups, and injuries:

2013 starting line-up:
1) David DeJesus - CF
2) Starlin Castro - SS
3) Anthony Rizzo - 1B
4) Alfonso Soriano - LF
5) Nate Schierholtz - RF
6) Welington Castillo - C
7) Luis Valbuena - 3B
8) Darwin Barney - 2B
9) Jeff Samardzija - P
2013 bench:
1) Scott Hairston - OF
2) Dioner Navarro - C
3) Brett Lilibridge - 1B/2B/3B/OF
4) Dave Sappelt - OF
5) Open Spot
2013 starting rotation:
1) Jeff Samardzija
2) Edwin Jackson
3) Travis Wood
4) Scott Feldman
5) Carlos Villanueva
2013 bullpen:
Closer: Carlos Marmol
Set-up: Kyuji Fujikawa
RP: Shawn Camp
RP: James Russell
RP: Michael Bowden
RP: Hector Rondon
RP: Open Spot
As you can see, there are still 2 spots to be figured out time camp concludes. The final spot for the bench and the last pitcher in the bullpen.

With Ian Stewart starting the season on the DL, it opened up another spot on the bench. Many believe Steve Clevenger will win the final spot on the bench. Since Clevenger can player catcher, 1B and 3B. Other candidates are Darnell McDonald and Alberto Cabrera. Cabrera has a shot, but I don't see Mcdonald with much of a shot since he's an OF and the Cubs already have 5 on the roster.

As of right now, Chris Rusin appears to have the inside track to the final spot in the bullpen. Rusin is having an outstanding spring and he's a lefty. The Cubs only have one lefty in the 'pen and that's why Rusin is the likely choice to round out the 'pen. Casey Coleman is another candidate for the 'pen, but since he's not a lefty and not on the 40-man roster, he's an unlikely choice.

I can see the Cubs picking up a player on the waiver wire for the final spot on the bench. But if not, I do think Clevenger will be the final guy off the bench. Manly because he's on the 40-man roster and McDonald/Cabrera are not. The Cubs already have to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Brett Lillibridge. (Arodys Vizcaino will be placed on the 60-day DL as the corresponding move.) I can't see the Cubs finding a lefty on the waiver wire and why Rusin will be the 2nd lefty in the 'pen.

Just think of this ... 1.5 weeks until we will see the Cubs taking on the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park for opening day!

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/03/22/chicago-cubs-roster-taking-shape/

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Even though we will probably suck, I am stoked! Always love Cubs season!

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Even though we will probably suck, I am stoked! Always love Cubs season!

Hell yeah! It doesn't mean how bad your team is, you always have to be faithful. I know the line-up isn't great, but I still decided to get tickets to the Cubs home opener.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Rusin will instead start at Iowa, the japanese guy will make the team. The Cubs will have to ass 2 players to the 40-man roster, one will be Vizcaino, plus another.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that japanese LH pitcher makes the pen to be 2nd lefty/LR. Sounds like they hitting waiver wire for 25th guy

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes he will. It sounds like it'll be Bill Hall or Chrone Figgins with Figgins as the favor. Sadly I'm fine with Figgins, I think he could be better than Valbuena, but again, that's not a hard task.