Chicago Cubs Working on a Contract Extension with Travis Wood

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Tom Loxas, the Chicago Cubs have begun contract extension talks with starting pitcher Travis Wood. The negotiations are in the earlier stages, but both sides are expected to hammer out a deal at some point in the off-season.

Wood has been a surprise this season and a player the Cubs would like to have in their future plans. Wood is only 26-years old and hasn't entered his prime yet. His age fits perfectly into the Cubs plan. Wood is no ace, but could be a #2 at best and a #3 at the least. Wood still has 2 more starts for the season, but Wood's stats as of today are ... 9-11 with a 3.05 earn run average in 192 innings pitched and 30 games. Wood has also struck out 136 batters and walked 61 batters.

Wood was named to his 1st all-star this year and was well-deserved. Yes, every team has to have an all-star and even on a losing team, Wood had great stats to make the team. However, Wood did not pitch in the all-star game.

Going into this season, Wood had to battle for a rotation spot. He obvious won a spot and showed his improvement from last year. If the Cubs do not sign a pitcher in the off-season of whom does not have ace potential, Wood could start March 31st at Pittsburgh.

Tom Loxas also mentioned that if the Cubs do sign Wood to an extension, there may be no money for a Jeff Samardzija extension. I would much rather have Wood on the team over Samardzija and would be fine with this move. The Cubs will shop Samardzija in the off-season and if they get a good package for Samardzija; Samardzija will be wearing a different uniform next season.

Wood will have a new contract going into next season and we could see a done deal sooner than later in the off-season. The extension is likely to be a team friendly deal.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/09/17/chicago-cubs-working-on-contract-extension-with-travis-wood/

Reactions: X

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Really impressed of Wood's development in Chicago. Really liked and understood the rationale of that trade.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's a good move -- he pitched well this season.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with both of you. Plus, it won't be a big contract.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I don't disagree with signing Wood but the whole money thing can blow me. If Shark wants Ace money, then I understand. He hasn't pitched like one. I feel if they get rid of him, it would have to be for a great package. Also, Wood is Theo and them guy. Shark comes from the old regime. It plays a little part. You hang on to your own players a little longer then other guys.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Well, I don't disagree with signing Wood but the whole money thing can blow me. If Shark wants Ace money, then I understand. He hasn't pitched like one. I feel if they get rid of him, it would have to be for a great package. Also, Wood is Theo and them guy. Shark comes from the old regime. It plays a little part. You hang on to your own players a little longer then other guys.

You understand if Shark wants Ace money? Why?