Competitive Balance Lottery

chibears55

Liked Posts:
In case your interested ...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130717&content_id=53967108&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

LOTTERY RESULTS
Below are the results of the Competitive Balance Lottery, which establishes the order for Comp Rounds A and B in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.
Pick Comp A
1 Rockies
2 Orioles
3 Indians
4 Marlins
5 Royals
6 Brewers

Pick Comp B
1. Padres
2. DiBacks
3. Cardinals
4. Rays
5. Pirates
6. Mariners

Teams are allowed to trade these picks..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fucking Cardinals. That is all...

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
How exactly does this work? Because there is no chance in hell the fucking Cardinals need a goddamn competitive balance pick!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cardinals are part of it due to market size.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Actually the Cardinals organization is just a well-run machine that proves to all the other smaller market teams that they can be competitive with regularity. If the Cubs weren't pure dogpoop at the moment, hardly anyone would complain about the Cards getting a good pick in this instance.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Actually the Cardinals organization is just a well-run machine that proves to all the other smaller market teams that they can be competitive with regularity. If the Cubs weren't pure dogpoop at the moment, hardly anyone would complain about the Cards getting a good pick in this instance.
No, I'd still a notice a team getting an extra pick for "Competitive balance" when its not necessary.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No, I'd still a notice a team getting an extra pick for "Competitive balance" when its not necessary.
Why isn't it necessary? Maybe it would be better if MLB just went into St Louis and forced them to fire their scouting deparmtnet and sanctioned them until they stopped producing home grown talent. Then I guess it would be OK. :D

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why isn't it necessary?
Because they won a World Series and went to an NLCS in the last two seasons. They don't need to extend their advantage. If anything, they need to lose draft picks to restore "competitive balance."

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because they won a World Series and went to an NLCS in the last two seasons. They don't need to extend their advantage. If anything, they need to lose draft picks to restore "competitive balance."

Just let the Cubs have 5 first round picks this year. That'd be nice.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So they should be punished for running a great organization in a small market? How would they do against the Yankees or Boston in the WS? LA has spent money like a drunken sailor. Competitive balance has as much to do with competing with the large market peers at the top as it does looking down at poorly performing, large market organizations like the Cubs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just let the Cubs have 5 first round picks this year. That'd be nice.

:rolleyes: OK FirstTimer. Nowhere in my post did I say that the Cubs should get five first round picks.

So they should be punished for running a great organization in a small market? How would they do against the Yankees or Boston in the WS? LA has spent money like a drunken sailor. Competitive balance has as much to do with competing with the large market peers at the top as it does looking down at poorly performing, large market organizations like the Cubs.

Considering they beat Detroit and Texas in 06 and 11, I don't think their potential record against a big market team should be judged. They've won World Series recently, I don't think they need extra chances to keep building their team.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
they should change their eligibility for the comp. balance lottery from the 14 small market teams to the 14 teams with overall avg. worse record from previous 3 seasons.

that would be more fair for the teams that struggle to make the playoffs consistently.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
The reason why I think that this is a bunch of crap is because while the Cardinals may be a small market population wise, they certainly aren't by fan base. For a gazillion years (I'm not in the mood to look up how many), the Cardinals were both the furthest team both south and west in baseball. Add in their winning tradition, and they're anything but a small market. This pick is flat out unfair.