Could 20th MLS team be Carolina RailHawks?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
CarolinaRailhawks-e1310758217687.jpg
When one looks at potential expansion cities beyond the almost pre-ordained second team in the New York metropolitan area there are not a lot of “slam dunk” choices as Toronto, Seattle, Philadelphia, Portland, Vancouver and Montreal.

One area of the country that can boast the kind of young, tech-savvy, soccer connected demographic that has helped make MLS a major league in the cities mentioned above is “The Research Triangle” of North Carolina. A team there would also serve to spread MLS’s national footprint to the Southeast without the risk of failing in a larger market like Atlanta.

While perhaps not being a Seattle, or Portland right away, The Triangle could be a place like Salt Lake City or Philadelphia where a solid core of support, large corporate sponsors, a community which already embraces the sport at lower levels (such as college soccer) and a dedicated ownership group could help to build up a head of steam (and future investment) to power Railhawks FC down the track towards a successful future in MLS.

Our good friend at MLSR partner, MLS Reserves got to sit down and interview RailHawks President and MLS management veteran Curt Johnson to look into what the organization is doing both on and off the field as well as their vision for the future.

Here is an excerpt focusing on expansion from a much longer article which you should read:

The Possibility of Moving to MLS
With the success of the team on the field and success at the gate rising, many have wondered about the possibility of the entire franchise moving to MLS in the vein of Seattle or Montreal. Consider that they took their teams’ successes as a second division side and used that to parlay a role in Major League Soccer.
“I certainly wouldn’t be telling the truth if I said I hadn’t thought about it. I don’t think any of us; fans, business people, players or owners that care about the RailHawks should ever put limits on what this could be.”
Carolina currently plays at WakeMed Soccer Park, which seats a standard 7,500 and can be expanded to roughly 10,000. In terms of MLS stadiums, it certainly isn’t top amongst available seating. However, I pointed out to Mr. Johnson that the San Jose Earthquakes have been residing at Buck Shaw Stadium, which seats the same, for the over half a decade. The possibility seems to be there.
There may not have been a more accurate statement in the entire interview. The Triangle is a hot bed of potential. Between the collegiate talent in the ACC for both soccer and basketball, the attendance and interest of the game when US Soccer has played in the area and there is obvious evidence of potential.
In the end, Curt Johnson’s message to fans, owners, sponsors and players was simple: No Limits.
If the message is indeed no limits, then fans of soccer in Carolina and around the country can look to the future and be excited.
“I don’t think we should limit ourselves as to what the potential of the sport is.”
“There are people here in this community that have done research into it. Plans and facility-wise yes. At the end of the day it comes down to an owner that is committed, a facility and a fanbase. There is no reason this community cant have something like that.”
Major League Soccer (MLS) Rumors – For the time between the games

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I really want the 20th team announced at ready for 2013, that's all.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
no more teams should be added to MLS without having relegation like the elite leagues around the world

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Miami, or Tampa Bay, I forgot which one really wants a team. My dad told me that Pavel Pardo has a few futbol schools in either Miami or Tampa.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Miami, or Tampa Bay, I forgot which one really wants a team. My dad told me that Pavel Pardo has a few futbol schools in either Miami or Tampa.

They both had MLS teams, but lost them. The only 2 MLS teams to fold. I think they both have interest, I don't remember which was more serious about it though.

giaco

Liked Posts:
no more teams should be added to MLS without having relegation like the elite leagues around the world
won't happen in our lifetime without more solid lesser leagues and greater stability...not to mention investment and fan participation.

so yeah....sadly, not in our lifetime.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I hate the concept of promotion and relegation, just saying.

giaco

Liked Posts:

Both had teams. Both folded. Florida is shit for sports support. Barca and Boca Juniors had exploratory interest in it, but they can't/won't afford the "buy-in" to get the 20th and final expansion place.

I'm not for it, but that will probably be NYC2--whether that's the Cosmos or New Amsterdam FC, I don't know.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Both had teams. Both folded. Florida is shit for sports support. Barca and Boca Juniors had exploratory interest in it, but they can't/won't afford the "buy-in" to get the 20th and final expansion place.

I'm not for it, but that will probably be NYC2--whether that's the Cosmos or New Amsterdam FC, I don't know.

I wasn't aware of New Amsterdam FC having a bid/interest... thanks for that extra info.

If it isn't NY, I'd like to see Atlanta.

giaco

Liked Posts:
New Amsterdam was the original name of NYC, and the supporters there (The Bourough Boys) are ardent NOT to have the Cosmos. It's an interesting dynamic over there right now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
New Amsterdam was the original name of NYC, and the supporters there (The Bourough Boys) are ardent NOT to have the Cosmos. It's an interesting dynamic over there right now.

Is it possible that that is the only holdup stopping the MLS from announcing the Cosmos as the 20th team? And do they even have a stadium yet? They may have to play at the Giants/Jets stadium for a few years or share with the Red Bulls.

giaco

Liked Posts:
Stadium share is against the concept that they are going after. They have been after a space in Queens and one in Long Island (IIRC).

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Stadium share is against the concept that they are going after. They have been after a space in Queens and one in Long Island (IIRC).

How big are they? And are they expandable enough if they are small?