Could Cubs/Tigers Make A Deal?

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
With the big trade of Prince Fielder tonight, Im wondering if the Cubs and Tigers could work out a deal.

Here's what I was thinking the deal could work around:

Cubs get Porcello and Tigers get Vogelbach.

I know Miggy is going back to 1st base with Fielder gone, but i think Vogelbach could fit as the DH in a few years. Victor Martinez becomes a free agent in 2015 so there will be a hole at DH and a left handed bat in the lineup. Also, Vogelbach could be a nice fit if Miggy needs to take a DH for a few days here and there.

Simply just a thought. Unless someone gives a legit offer, I would be reluctant to give away Vogelbach at this current point. I dont think his stock is at its high point yet. Let him spend a season in Daytona and maybe some in Tennessee and if he hits for a good average and continues to develop his power, I think the Cubs could get a really nice package for him.

Alonso helped the Reds get Latos, maybe Vogelbach can help the Cubs get a pitcher they need in a year or two. Thoughts?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Vogy would not get back a return worth the effort. He would be a toss in piece in a bigger deal.

They are better keeping him around for insurance on Rizzo for now. If Rizzo has a monster year and Vogy breaks into the top 100 then we could revisit this.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With the big trade of Prince Fielder tonight, Im wondering if the Cubs and Tigers could work out a deal.

I know Miggy is going back to 1st base with Fielder gone, but i think Vogelbach could fit as the DH in a few years. Victor Martinez becomes a free agent in 2015 so there will be a hole at DH and a left handed bat in the lineup. Also, Vogelbach could be a nice fit if Miggy needs to take a DH for a few days here and there.

Simply just a thought. Unless someone gives a legit offer, I would be reluctant to give away Vogelbach at this current point. I dont think his stock is at its high point yet. Let him spend a season in Daytona and maybe some in Tennessee and if he hits for a good average and continues to develop his power, I think the Cubs could get a really nice package for him.

Alonso helped the Reds get Latos, maybe Vogelbach can help the Cubs get a pitcher they need in a year or two. Thoughts?

Presumably they will move Porcello now that they have the money to sign Scherzer and I do like Porcello. I am not sure I agree that it would take a ton more than Vogelbach to get him. However, they would likely want MLB players and not prospects for him. Perhaps they would work something around Schierholtz + prospects. I'm really not sure. But, if he's out there I would like to see the cubs at least try to get him.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
They are better keeping him around for insurance on Rizzo for now. If Rizzo has a monster year and Vogy breaks into the top 100 then we could revisit this.

Agreed. Also, the Cubs need to let nature take it's course with Chunk. Let him build up his value so he is more of a coveted piece or something the Cubs might be able to use.

Let's hope the Cubs already have a Porcello or better in the system with Viscaino, Johnson, Edwards, and Hendricks. Thus, they don't have to give up anything for a middle of the rotation pitcher.

If I was going after anyone on Detroit as far as young pitchers, Drew Smyly would be my first choice.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If I was going after anyone on Detroit as far as young pitchers, Drew Smyly would be my first choice.

Totally agree with this. But to get himit's going to take trading away one of the Cubs elite prospects at a minimum (Almora, Bryant, Soler, Baez, Edwards)

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Totally agree with this. But to get himit's going to take trading away one of the Cubs elite prospects at a minimum (Almora, Bryant, Soler, Baez, Edwards)

No doubt in my mind, and I also seriously doubt that Detroit would give up a cost controlled left hander to boot being that they are trying to lock up Scherzer. That's probably why you hear the Porcello rumors all of the time.

If I were going to pull the trigger however with an elite prospect, I and I'm sure most would think that Soler would be the one to top the list.

Personally, I would stay stand pat at the moment and see what shakes out with these prospects. It isn't as if the Cubs are going anywhere soon, and this means that good pitchers will be available with high draft picks coming in the next couple of years.

I'd be shocked if the Cubs don't have the number one farm system after next year. Of course, I'd rather have the number one team, but I hope the farm helps to produce just that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

they are better off waiting until 2013's class gets some playing time in. that class of pitching looked pretty talented. i wouldn't bother with adding A+-Rook level pitching. AA-AAA top of the rotation arms is another story.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
they are better off waiting until 2013's class gets some playing time in. that class of pitching looked pretty talented. i wouldn't bother with adding A+-Rook level pitching. AA-AAA top of the rotation arms is another story.

I have to admit, I can;t follow what/who you are talking about in this post.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could Cubs/Tigers make a deal?

were you doing a rail when you made this awful thread?

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I am guessing he means the draft class of pitchers the Cubs picked up in 2013. Probably wanting to see how they do in the minors before making any moves.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The 2013 class of pitching was very good. On trades it makes more sence to fill the upper ranks vs lower ranks where the draft is the main source of talent.

So trading for a A ball player is pointless because the a player drafted will be at that level with in a year. While trading for a AA-AAA player shaves off 2-4 years of development time. Which makes the return more valuable. Thus trading for a player in the rookie to A+ league is pointless in general. A player drafted in the same year can make that jump if the talent is there.