Could Scott Boras Price Shin-Soo Choo Out of the Chicago Cubs Range?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Jon Heyman of CBSsports.com, Scott Boras is said to be looking for a 100 million plus contract for outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.

One player the Chicago Cubs are expected to check in on is Shin-Soo Choo. Choo has been a member of the Reds this season after being traded this past off-season.

The main reason the Cubs have been linked to Choo is because he’s a left-handed outfielder and has a high on-base percentage. The Cubs are in need of another left-handed hitter and another outfielder. Plus, the Cubs are not good in getting on base and Choo is a great on-base guy. He ranks second in the National League of getting on base behind teammate Joey Votto.

With that said, how much interest could the Cubs have in Choo? The Cubs will oblivious check in on Choo and talked to his agent Scott Boras. But the contract would have to make sense and a deal right for the future. Choo could be looking for at least a 90+ million contract. Heyman asked a current unnamed general manager and he said 90 million seems right for Choo. If that’s the case, Choo’s price will come no where to the Cubs price range. The Cubs are said to not have money and that contract would no where fit into their plans. Especially for a 31-year old outfielder. The Cubs may want to sign Choo to a 3-year contract, but nothing more than that. If Boras gets his wish and the unnamed general manager is correct, Choo will not be wearing a Cubs uniform next season. The contract and money would just not work into the Cubs current and future plans.

We have seen Boras in the past talk his clients out of a lot of money. As a team made a good offer, but it wasn’t good enough and the team looked elsewhere. So at the end, the player couldn’t get a better deal or even close and had to settle for a lower deal. A low ball deal in which was a 1 or 2 year contract. If that’s the case, we could see the Cubs back in the Choo race if they didn’t fill out the vacant spot.

The Cubs have been linked to Jacoby Ellsbury as well, but he’s looking for a 100 plus million dollar contract as well. With his injury concerns and the high priced demand, the Cubs will not sign Ellsbury. Another name to keep an eye out for is Colorado Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez. The Cubs are expected to make a run at Gonzalez this off-season (per Cubs Den) and the Rockies are expected to take offers for him. I can totally see Gonzalez coming to the North Side this Winter.

I’m not going to mention Miami Carlos outfielder Giancarlo Stanton as a possibility because a trade will not happen due to the steep price and his knee problems.

As you can see, the Cubs are determined to sign or trade for a left-handed hitting outfielder in the off-season.

Another aspect that may affect a trade or a signing is if the Cubs sign Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. He will cost a lot of money and if the Cubs were to sign Tanaka, most of their money will go towards him. As he can be an ace in the majors and that’s what the Cubs need. Plus, Tanaka is the Cubs number 1 priority this off-season.

If Scott Boras and the unnamed general manager are correct, Shin-Soo Choo’s price will be out of the Cubs range and he will sign elsewhere.

http://www.chicitysports.com/?p=29343&preview=true

Last edited:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
My buddy mentioned to me earlier that he read Shin-Soo Choo was gonna want a $100 million deal and I told him he must've read it wrong. Wow.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He never was a realistic option. Nor is jacoby or cargo

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
You would have to be crazy to give the 31-32 year old Shin-Soo Choo a 100 million dollar deal. I usually defend Boras. In fact, if I were a player I'd probably want to sign with him too. But this is just ridiculous. And pointing to the Werth and Crawford contracts doesn't help Boras' case.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see it. Compare his career stats and Swisher and what Swisher got last off season. Of course Boras is going to ask for the moon but that doesn't mean he gets it. He didn't with Michael Bourn either. I think Choo will get a 3-4 year deal in the $10-15 mil/year range.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Well see. People were saying the same thing last year about Bourn and he got about half of what was expected

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont see Cubs getting him. Some contending team will want his talent to help a team win NOW