Could Sveum Give Advantage in Prince Fielder Sweepstakes?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could Sveum Give Cubs Advantage in Prince Fielder Sweepstakes? |

According to a report from ESPNChicago, Dale Sveum says he could give the Cubs a leg up in signing Prince Fielder if the Cubs chose to pursue him. The 27 year-old was the Brewers 1B in 2011 and won’t be in Milwaukee for the 2012 season. The Brewers have already said they will not make an offer to Fielder and are looking at other options.

Sveum had to say this:

“Yeah, if it ever came to [president of baseball operations] Theo [Epstein] and the Ricketts family thinking that that was the right fit and the right time for this organization, I think me being here would definitely help the process,” said Sveum, who was introduced as manager Friday during a news conference at Wrigley Field.”

“Prince and I have a great relationship,” Sveum said. “I love Prince to death. It would be nice to have him at first base because of what he brings to the table every single day.”

“If you can have three or four guys like him on the team, then other guys start to follow,” Sveum said. “You don’t always have the so-called team leader anymore, but when you can get three, four, five guys running out balls hard, playing the game, then the other five or six guys say, ‘Hey, I want to be like them. I don’t want to be the one guy that’s dogging it.’

“That’s why it was nice to have Prince. The other guys knew what would happen if they didn’t run a ball out.”

Sveum was asked if he has talked about Fielder with his new bosses and said…

“We haven’t yet, honest to God,” Sveum said. “We haven’t mentioned it one time. [The media has], but they haven’t.”

Theo Epstein has said don’t expect a big splash in free agency; however, he did say we will be looking at players who have just started their prime or are about to enter their prime. Prince Fielder fits that perfect as he’s just 27 years-old. In 2011, Fielder had a average of .299 with 38 home runs and 120 rbi’s. The one thing Fielder won’t bring to the team is defense and digging balls out of the dirt. He’s not too good at that. That’s one thing we will not be use to in Chicago as we have had 2 good 1B’s over the years in Derrek lee and Carlos Pena. But his offensive numbers will over-ride his defensive numbers.

Prince Fielder’s agent Scott Boras was expected to meet Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer during the GM Meetings. I don’t know if they did or not…I don’t see why they wouldn’t. But we have not heard anything regarding the meeting. Scott Boras is also Carlos Pena’s agent. They were expected to take about both 1B’s.

I wrote up…could Fielder follow Svuem to the North Side in the article where Dale Sveum was officially named new manager. That was just speculation at the time and the news from Sveum proves my thought

Dale Sveum may try to convince the Cubs to sign Fielder, but I don’t think his word will mean much. I expect the Cubs to puruse Fielder if his years come down. It’s reported that he’s looking for a 8 year contract worth more than 200M. I bet the Cubs will try to offer him a 5 year contract at the most. I do not think that will be enough, but you never know.

It’s just interesting to think about and if Sveum can convince the Cubs to sign the big 1B-Prince Fielder.

Other Notes:

*During Dale Sveum’s press conference today… Sveum said all the right answers and sounded like the right/good choice. Mike Maddux, Kerry Wood and Ozzie Guillen all praised Sveum on his new job.

*The Cubs added SS Junior Lake to the 40 man-roster. The 40 man-roster currently stands at 34, but more changes are coming. One will be Wood re-signing with the Cubs and he’ll be added. Also, players will be removed and more players will be added. Especially players who the Cubs want to protect from the Rule V draft.

Last edited:

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Dale Sveum could be the deciding factor with all things being even, but he will follow the money.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Dale Sveum could be the deciding factor with all things being even, but he will follow the money.

I bet he will, but if the money is very close, I think he'll chose the team with lesser money. Due to more of a familiar facr,

2 words: Scott Boras (that says everything)

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I saw that... Just another opinion lol. 2 doesn't hurt :)

I have said this already, but wrote a post on it because Sveum has talked about it and it was big enough for Levine to report it.

It's hard to say how much of an impact Sveum would have on Fielder though. All things being equal, if, say, the Marlins were to call Prince Fielder, and the Cubs were the other high bidder, it would make sense. But if it were like the Angels or the Blue Jays calling, it'd be different. I don't think Sveum has more power than Benjamin Franklin in this matter.

He was basically just saying what the reporters, including Levine, wanted to hear. It doesn't make him magical.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
It's hard to say how much of an impact Sveum would have on Fielder though. All things being equal, if, say, the Marlins were to call Prince Fielder, and the Cubs were the other high bidder, it would make sense. But if it were like the Angels or the Blue Jays calling, it'd be different. I don't think Sveum has more power than Benjamin Franklin in this matter.

He was basically just saying what the reporters, including Levine, wanted to hear. It doesn't make him magical.

Yeah I agree and I wrote that in the article. Near the end if you see.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read it :) Good times.

I can start helping you proofread some of your articles if you want so people don't fly up your ass about grammar and spelling, but it was informative.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I read it :) Good times.

I can start helping you proofread some of your articles if you want so people don't fly up your ass about grammar and spelling, but it was informative.

CCS has recently assigned an editor who reads every article written by anybody and checks for grammar and spelling as needed.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
CCS has recently assigned an editor who reads every article written by anybody and checks for grammar and spelling as needed.

You guys should probably tell him to do his job then if folks are still complaining about Waldo's stuff. Waldo means well but everyone needs a little help sometimes.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You guys should probably tell him to do his job then if folks are still complaining about Waldo's stuff. Waldo means well but everyone needs a little help sometimes.

Most are edited, but not immediately. If you go back and compare the quoted posts and the current versions of the blog posts, you can tell that they are a bit different/cleaned up. But this person isn't a mod and thus doesn't edit the quotes of the articles he posts in the Cubs forum.

Today, waldo's article's grammar wasn't too bad, so it was probably skipped.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Most are edited, but not immediately. If you go back and compare the quoted posts and the current versions of the blog posts, you can tell that they are a bit different/cleaned up. But this person isn't a mod and thus doesn't edit the quotes of the articles he posts in the Cubs forum.

Today, waldo's article's grammar wasn't too bad, so it was probably skipped.

Who edits the articles?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Who edits the articles?

Not sure, all I know is that some of mine have been edited slightly when I make a dumb mistake because I think faster than I type or vice versa. and I know it isn't a mod because nothing in quotes on forum is ever edited.

Not sure that it matters though.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure, all I know is that some of mine have been edited slightly when I make a dumb mistake because I think faster than I type or vice versa. and I know it isn't a mod because nothing in quotes on forum is ever edited.

Not sure that it matters though.

OK... that's interesting.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
He's not going to the Cubs.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could he give an advantage? Sure. He was his hitting coach. Will he? That's up to Theo, like Dale alluded to in some comments yesterday.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Could Dale have been hired just to influence Fielder? Is that a good enough reason for a hire if he was?

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Could Dale have been hired just to influence Fielder? Is that a good enough reason for a hire if he was?

No. No player will ever sign anywhere just because someone is the manager. He will sign in whichever place offers him the most money, and if its close, then whichever place offers him the best chance to win. If its still a close decision, then maybe he will pick the team that has a manager he knows and likes.