Could the Chicago Cubs Make a Splash this Off-Season?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs are about to finish up another losing season for the 2nd year in a row. But with the Cubs prospects gaining steam in the minors and a lot of them closer to the majors ... could we finally see a splash in the off-season in which shows the Cubs mean business? The Cubs are expected to try to acquire and/or sign a big name player.

The Cubs say they have no money and won't go big on any player, but many believe their blowing smoke (me being one). One main target this off-season the Cubs have number one on their list is Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. He has the potential to be an ace and that's how the Cubs see him. It's still unclear on what the posting fee will be and what the Cubs will offer. And we will find that out when the time comes closer and in the off-season. If the Cubs were to somehow win the bid on Tanaka and sign him, that could end the tenure of Jeff Samardzija in a Cubs uniform. If the Cubs were to land Tanaka and trade Samardzija in the off-season, that's a win-win on many different cases. It wouldn't be a done deal that Samardzija is traded for sure, but the Cubs won't have money to sign him to an extension and is the right time to trade him.

The Cubs will have to pay a lot of money for Tanaka, but if they are serious about contending, it's the right time to spend money as the team is getting closer to contending. The Cubs did say they won't pursue Tanaka as they don't have money, but don't listen to them! The Cubs will go all out for Tanaka and do their best to acquire his services.

Along with top priorities in the off-season, the Cubs are expected to try and acquire an OF or sign one. The Cubs may try to acquire an OF over signing one since there's not a 'game changer' in free agency. The Cubs have already called the Miami Marlins about OF Giancarlo Stanton, among others. Stanton is obvious a core player and any team would want him to be apart of their future. The Marlins will shop him, but will have to be overblown by an offer to trade him. According to Tom Loxas, the Diamondbacks are believed to be the front runners for Stanton.

The Cubs will obvious have to pay a lot for Stanton and many wonder if the Cubs will do so. If the Cubs want to win, they will have to pay big sometime and the time seems right now. The Cubs will make an offer, but we don't know if it'll be good enough. Stanton is a player that makes sense for the Cubs. Soler will likely be one piece going back to Miami, among others. We'll see how many legs this story has in the off-season.

Another player that could be on the Cubs radar is Carlos Gonzalez. The Colorado Rockies are expected to take offers for Gonzalez in the off-season and the Cubs could call them. Money may become a problem due to Gonzalez's contract, but it shouldn't matter and I think the Cubs have a way better chance to lank Gonzalez over Stanton. I do expect to hear the Cubs linked to Gonzalez in the off-season.

I thought about an option the Cubs should do or at least try for acquiring either of Stanton or Gonzalez. Try to trade Samardzija to either team as a top player in the trade and see how much a team budges. More likely for Gonzalez, however. If neither team is too keen on taking Samardzija, try to trade Samardzija for prospects that either the Marlins or Rockies would have interest in a trade. That's the main reason I do expect Samardzija to be trade one way or another.

The off-season is still a little ways way, but the Cubs could be busy this Winter!

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/09/16/could-the-chicago-cubs-make-a-splash-this-off-season/

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
How did this piece of shit, nonsensical article get published on the home page? Along with it being poorly written, I think it's wrong on all accounts. The only thing that might be right about it is them shopping Samardzija.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Going hard after Tanaka and then trading Samardzija seems like it'd be pretty counterproductive to me...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs could go after Tanaka. I don't know if they will win because evidentally MLB is going to change the bidding process where multiples team can win the bid to sign him. I don't think Shark should be traded unless you are getting top of the rotation and MLB ready guy back. His value took a hit after the all star break. He is still under control for 2 years and if you trade him. You just tore down your whole pitching staff when your hitters are getting close to the majors. I just don't find it productive.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
For the record I don't think Samardzija should be or will be traded either. But I do think he'll be shopped. I don't know who Tanaka is, but I'm sure it's a great idea to get him. Unlike Waldo however, I believe the Cubs when they say they aren't going to spend money. At this point a statement like that from them seems very believable.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I got all this information from Tom Loxas articles. He says the Cubs could sign Wood to an extension and then Samardzija could be the odd man out. I've nevered been a fan of Samardzija when he came from ND and still am not. He wants ace money or at least #2 money, but he's a 3 or 4 at best and trade him while his stock is still high I guess. I want the Cubs to trade Samardzija and Russell. If they just do that, I'll be happy and don't care about anything. Try to trade Jeff for prospects for a good OF or trade Jeff in the package for an OF.

All info from Tom Loxas and I did cite him in the article.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
Fair enough Waldo but I'm just not buying most of it.

Like SilenceS said, we still have control over Jeff for two more years. So regardless of whether he's an ace of not, or what money he wants, he's for sure more valuable than what he's going to get, or at least within reason.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Fair enough Waldo but I'm just not buying most of it.

Like SilenceS said, we still have control over Jeff for two more years. So regardless of whether he's an ace of not, or what money he wants, he's for sure more valuable than what he's going to get, or at least within reason.

Yeah true and btw I fixed my article with grammar and shit. I found mistakes and my sentences were disorganized. I fixed them, but it's on the homepage. I'm not saying the Cubs will trade Samardzija, but they will likely shop him. And if they can get Tamaka, I would totally try to trade Samardzija if they can get a top OF like Gonzalez or Sataton. I'm big on Stanton and Gonzalez as well. I do know, however, Gonzalez stats look better as where he plays - Coors. Just think about Stanton at Wrigley. The buildings across the way will have no windows at the end of the season lol.

If the Cubs can get Tamaka and either Stanton or Gonzales or even another top OF we don't know, I would die. Plus, we may see good seasons from Castro and even Rizzo since pressure will be off.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah true and btw I fixed my article with grammar and shit. I found mistakes and my sentences were disorganized. I fixed them, but it's on the homepage. I'm not saying the Cubs will trade Samardzija, but they will likely shop him. And if they can get Tamaka, I would totally try to trade Samardzija if they can get a top OF like Gonzalez or Sataton. I'm big on Stanton and Gonzalez as well. I do know, however, Gonzalez stats look better as where he plays - Coors. Just think about Stanton at Wrigley. The buildings across the way will have no windows at the end of the season lol.

If the Cubs can get Tamaka and either Stanton or Gonzales or even another top OF we don't know, I would die. Plus, we may see good seasons from Castro and even Rizzo since pressure will be off.

Im not big on Stanton. I know his talent level is incredible, but he has knee troubles and has never been able to stay healthy. Could just be a blip on the map, but its concerning. The Cubs should be able to find power in the minors. Baez, Bryant, Volgelbach all have legit 40 home run power. Soler is lower but still plus. Then you have Olt who needs to fix himself before we can ever talk about him. Also, the Cubs are heavily right handed in our top prospects. We need to get some left handed bats to have some balance. Cargo is great, but I just don't see the Cubs going that heavy for him. Maybe, maybe not.

Tanaka is 25 and is considered a top of the rotation starter. They think of him as no worse then a 2. I would love to sign him and keep Shark, Wood, and Jackson. Then I believe the Cubs could after one more power pitcher in some form. The draft next year should be interesting because if they get a top arm then someone can most likely become expandable basing on if the pitcher is close to major league ready or not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would be ok with Shark being traded out if they sign a ace first.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/ar...tebook_id=60674826&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

PITTSBURGH -- The Cubs have two weeks left in the season. In manager Dale Sveum's first year, the focus was on introducing the "Cubs Way." Has Sveum accomplished what he wanted in Year 2?

"I think so," Sveum said Sunday. "The wins and losses are one thing. Guys are doing things, playing hard, constantly preparing, buying into some systems."

Part of that adjustment involves pitchers sticking to the game plan established prior to the game and trusting catcher Welington Castillo, Sveum said.

"It's taken a little while, and it's going to take another Spring Training to get the pitchers to understand what 'Welly' does behind the plate and the studying and the game plans," Sveum said. "When we've stuck to game plans, we've done well, and when we shy away from them, we've given up big hits in games. It's gotten better."

The player who has benefited from doing his homework is All-Star Travis Wood, who leads the team with 22 quality starts and faced the Pirates on Sunday. Sveum said Scott Feldman and Paul Maholm also bought into what they were trying to do and had success. To simplify the plan, the focus is pitching to a hitter's weakness and staying away from his strengths.

"It's making that quality pitch when you have to make it and putting guys away with two strikes, like we talk about a lot," Sveum said. "Guys like Jeff [Samardzija] get to two strikes and have trouble putting them away. When you have stuff like that, you need to put them away quickly and not let the at-bat get away from them. We have to pitch to guys' weaknesses and stay in that weakness area."

This article sums it up why guys like Feldman and Maholm had bounce back years. They bought into scouting the hitters and attacking the cold zones with pitches that the hitters are weak against. Wood bought into it and he has seen sucess. Shark has not. I can see a trade. Shark's talent is ace and he is not pitching like one.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I forgot to mention, the only think I'm worried about Stanton is his knees and will come up. But I don't think the Cubs have or will pay the price for Stanton, Plus, he really nevered showed to be a good defender to me.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I agree the cubs will be in on Tanaka but I really doubt they are in on any $14+ mil players because I don't see them giving up draft picks. So, to me anyone with a qualifying offer is probably not going to be a target. I could also go into the numerous objections I personally have to $15 mil+ guys but I've done that plenty on here so I wont.

To me someone like Tanaka makes a lot of sense because they are unlikely to be good enough to contend next year. So, signing high priced vet FAs doesn't make a lot of sense. Thus, they can eat a huge posting fee this year for Tanaka who fits in with the age group. And then the following years he will be much more affordable. Darvish for example was a huge $50 mil posting fee IIRC but his yearly pay is only $10 mil/year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
As reported via multiple unnamed sources, the Cubs are looking for a 2014 lineup of no more than $60 million.
I bet ticket prices increase.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree the cubs will be in on Tanaka but I really doubt they are in on any $14+ mil players because I don't see them giving up draft picks. So, to me anyone with a qualifying offer is probably not going to be a target. I could also go into the numerous objections I personally have to $15 mil+ guys but I've done that plenty on here so I wont.

To me someone like Tanaka makes a lot of sense because they are unlikely to be good enough to contend next year. So, signing high priced vet FAs doesn't make a lot of sense. Thus, they can eat a huge posting fee this year for Tanaka who fits in with the age group. And then the following years he will be much more affordable. Darvish for example was a huge $50 mil posting fee IIRC but his yearly pay is only $10 mil/year.

He shouldn't get more than what Darvish got but the problem is if MLB changes the posting rules. They are in negotiations with Japan to change it. Basically it would be that a couple of teams would win the bid and have the rights to negotiate. Teams are going along like it isn't going to change but there's strong rumors that MLB will make a deal to change it. Then it becomes a whole new ball game to sign him. The dodgers aren't done spending. They want cano and him. I don't know if they get them but I bet if they miss cano they will go ridiculous hard after this guy and the cubs won't be able to touch them

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As reported via multiple unnamed sources, the Cubs are looking for a 2014 lineup of no more than $60 million.
I bet ticket prices increase.

2014 payroll obligations for former players:
$ 500,000 (est.) (Scott Hairston)
$14,000,000 (Alfonso Soriano)

Edwin Jackson rhp
4 years/$52M (2013-16)

4 years/$52M (2013-16)
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 12/20/12
$8M signing bonus
13:$11M, 14:$11M, 15:$11M, 16:$11M
deal does not include no-trade protection

Starlin Castro ss
7 years/$60M (2013-19), plus 2020 option

7 years/$60M (2013-19), plus 2020 club option
signed extension with Chicago Cubs 8/28/12
$6M signing bonus
13:$5M, 14:$5M, 15:$6M, 16:$7M, 17:$9M, 18:$10M, 19:$11M, 20:$16M club option ($1M buyout)

Anthony Rizzo 1b
7 years/$41M (2013-19), plus 2020-21 options

7 years/$41M (2013-19), plus 2020-21 club options
signed extension with Chicago Cubs 5/12/13, replacing 1 year/$0.498M contract signed 3/4/13
$2M signing bonus ($0.25M due on approval, $1.75M due 1/15/14)
13:$0.75M, 14:$1.25M, 15:$5M, 16:$5M, 17:$7M, 18:$7M, 19:$11M, 20:$14.5M club option (or $2M buyout due 1/15/20), 21:$14.5M club option (or $2M buyout due 1/15/21)

Kyuji Fujikawa rhp
2 years/$9.5M (2013-14), plus 2015 option

2 years/$9.5M (2013-14)
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent from Japan 12/12
$1M signing bonus
13:$4M, 14:$4M, 15:$5.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

Carlos Villanueva rhp
2 years/$10M (2013-14)

2 years/$10M (2013-14)
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 1/26/13
13:$5M, 14:$5M

and a bunch of Arb cases. I expect Wood extended. I would expect 5 mil starting point after this year. He is looking like a quality 2-3 right now.

If they are smart they try to get a return on Shark. Invest into an upgrade. Jackson fend some offers. Carlos trade out his last year.

So say they get Tanaka and then deal out Shark for a few upside arms. Then insert Wood as the #2. Jackson I believe is a pipe dream to trade so he defalts as the #3. Rusin and Arretta become the 4/5. Baker I feel they should move on unless he starts looking like a potential ace then I would think of retaining (IE if they do not get Tanaka). Grumm would fall into the swing guy and then it frees up Carlos to be moved.