Counter-theory: Nagy knows that Fields is his new starter

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I hate to give Matt Nagy any potential credit toward common sense, but I think we should at least consider a possibility heading into this week's practices:

Maybe Nagy knows Fields is good and knows he's going to start him.

Remember that Nagy seems to pride himself on perceived subterfuge. As was brought up in another thread here, via a Deadspin story:
While all NFL coaches like to play hide-and-seek with what is and what only might be in an attempt to deceive, it is not the end goal. It is merely a tool. But for Nagy, subterfuge is the destination. It’s not a shroud to cover the idea, but the whole idea."

If Nagy knows Fields is his new starter, knowing what we know about Nagy, it would make perfect sense for him to continue to pound the table for Dalton. He probably thinks it's genius misdirection to get everyone thinking he's going to turn back to Dalton while knowing full-well that he's sticking with Fields.

There's another bit of common sense that could back this up:

Nagy and others said last week that the Bears' coaches and players had "very healthy" conversations last week about the offense and where it should go. There was even the report that they were soliciting help from the players themselves on developing an identity and a scheme. Bill Lazor, more than once, has used his Thursday media availability to very subtly undermine Nagy and insinuate that Nagy's the only one who thinks Fields isn't ready to start. Also remember that Nagy said after the Lions game that he and the coaches would get together again and continue the "very healthy" conversations on the offense.

What does all of this mean? Maybe nothing.

Or maybe it means that the coaches and players are done cow-towing to Nagy and are truly giving him their honest opinion. If so, there ain't no way every offensive coach in that room isn't banging the table for Fields to stay the starter. I could even see it potentially getting heated, based on Lazor's demeanor and Nagy's overuse of the terms "very healthy" and "honest".

Point being, maybe Nagy knows damn well that he's not taking Fields out and is only humoring the possibility because he thinks it's genius misdirection.

Then again, maybe Nagy is just a fucking idiot. But the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy should call the mesothelioma hotline from those commercials because he seems to have been exposed to extreme amounts of asbestos. Any conclusion outside this after 3 years about his ability to do anything intelligent should be met with a recommendation of the OP also calling said hotline. It's a serious ailment.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy should call the mesothelioma hotline from those commercials because he seems to have been exposed to extreme amounts of asbestos. Any conclusion outside this after 3 years about his ability to do anything intelligent should be met with a recommendation of the OP also calling said hotline. It's a serious ailment.
My theory, though, doesn’t argue against the fact that Nagy’s an idiot.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Naggy better KNOW that Fields is his starter.... or there's a chance he'll STILL lose the locker room.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You give Nagy too much credit.

KlBZA7K.png

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are assuming that other teams can't figure out who is taking the most reps in practice and what kinds of general plays are being worked on.

If Dalton and Fields had the same skillset, just with different talent levels then I could believe this but the gameplan with Dalton under center is completely different than what you need to do with Fields.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You are assuming that other teams can't figure out who is taking the most reps in practice and what kinds of general plays are being worked on.

If Dalton and Fields had the same skillset, just with different talent levels then I could believe this but the gameplan with Dalton under center is completely different than what you need to do with Fields.
You are assuming that Nagy knows this.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are assuming that Nagy knows this.
I think he figured that out after the Cleveland Game.

I look at the whole thing like this. Don't project brilliance onto a decision that was probably made out of pure incompetence.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hate to give Matt Nagy any potential credit toward common sense, but I think we should at least consider a possibility heading into this week's practices:

Maybe Nagy knows Fields is good and knows he's going to start him.

Remember that Nagy seems to pride himself on perceived subterfuge. As was brought up in another thread here, via a Deadspin story:

If Nagy knows Fields is his new starter, knowing what we know about Nagy, it would make perfect sense for him to continue to pound the table for Dalton. He probably thinks it's genius misdirection to get everyone thinking he's going to turn back to Dalton while knowing full-well that he's sticking with Fields.

There's another bit of common sense that could back this up:

Nagy and others said last week that the Bears' coaches and players had "very healthy" conversations last week about the offense and where it should go. There was even the report that they were soliciting help from the players themselves on developing an identity and a scheme. Bill Lazor, more than once, has used his Thursday media availability to very subtly undermine Nagy and insinuate that Nagy's the only one who thinks Fields isn't ready to start. Also remember that Nagy said after the Lions game that he and the coaches would get together again and continue the "very healthy" conversations on the offense.

What does all of this mean? Maybe nothing.

Or maybe it means that the coaches and players are done cow-towing to Nagy and are truly giving him their honest opinion. If so, there ain't no way every offensive coach in that room isn't banging the table for Fields to stay the starter. I could even see it potentially getting heated, based on Lazor's demeanor and Nagy's overuse of the terms "very healthy" and "honest".

Point being, maybe Nagy knows damn well that he's not taking Fields out and is only humoring the possibility because he thinks it's genius misdirection.

Then again, maybe Nagy is just a fucking idiot. But the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Brad Biggs this morning had to choke through his answer but it sounds like this Dalton stuff is all nagy.

So that answers the question of whether he's being made to do it or not.

Brad speculated that the coach wants to keep all his options open and with a tougher part of the schedule coming up, may want to rely more on the veteran, but then things fields gets back in for the rest of the season. Basically hinting that yes they wanted to develop Fields but also the coach is trying to win games to save his job and in his stupid brain thinks Dalton gives them a better chance against harder opponents.

That really confirms to me that Matt Nagy is out of his depth.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You give Nagy too much credit.

KlBZA7K.png

Credit for what? The theory is that he's so idiotic, he thinks he's playing 4D chess. Sounds completely on-brand to me.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs this morning had to choke through his answer but it sounds like this Dalton stuff is all nagy.

So that answers the question of whether he's being made to do it or not.

Brad speculated that the coach wants to keep all his options open and with a tougher part of the schedule coming up, may want to rely more on the veteran, but then things fields gets back in for the rest of the season. Basically hinting that yes they wanted to develop Fields but also the coach is trying to win games to save his job and in his stupid brain thinks Dalton gives them a better chance against harder opponents.

That really confirms to me that Matt Nagy is out of his depth.
Out of his depth? He’s in the shallow end of the gene pool………

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
He wants Dalton starting so he can resume play calling. He thought Andy looked good completing 10 passes for 65 yard against Cincy.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Credit for what? The theory is that he's so idiotic, he thinks he's playing 4D chess. Sounds completely on-brand to me.
Yeah, that's still too much credit. ?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Welp, it looks like Nagy finally saw the light after all.