Crawford On Pace To Join Rookie Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

jservs7

Liked Posts:
I think even a consideration would be a great accomplishment for someone that supposedly was going to be our backup this year. He has been so steady and calm in the crease, it's been amazing to watch.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Calder Trophy is flawed. They have age restrictions, so last year, Niemi was ineligible because he was too old.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I like it and don't think its a flaw to say if your 26 years old your too old to be in the classification of a rookie.

The opposite when it is an award coming out is annoying like in the MLB with Ryan Howard who won the rookie of the year award at 25, sure the jump is huge but you've got the advantage if you were ready and a great player in the wings for 2 years already and were just waiting in the wings because there's a HoFer at your position ahead of you.

Crawford is the man. I was routing for the rookie stud but to be honest it wasn't based on logic in any way. Just based on my love of his shut-out of the Red Wings 2 years back.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good for Crow. I didn't have much faith in him at all and he's been making a believer out of me.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crawford's been fantastic. He's a very smart, technically sound goalie. The guy just plays the right way and his steady play has really helped the team. I felt bad for him when Niemi got the backup job to Huet. It seemed like Crawford was due and he had looked good in his limited NHL experience, but now that Corey's finally gotten his chance- he's making the most out of it.

I was never super down on Turco, but it seems like he might be past his prime. He definitely makes for a nice backup though.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crawford's been fantastic. He's a very smart, technically sound goalie. The guy just plays the right way and his steady play has really helped the team. I felt bad for him when Niemi got the backup job to Huet. It seemed like Crawford was due and he had looked good in his limited NHL experience, but now that Corey's finally gotten his chance- he's making the most out of it.

I was never super down on Turco, but it seems like he might be past his prime. He definitely makes for a nice backup though.

He's definitely past his prime but he's a really nice insurance policy. If crawf went down I wouldn't be too worried about Turco getting full-time starts. Crawford deserves the playing time until he gives it away or gets injured.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
Calder Trophy is flawed. They have age restrictions, so last year, Niemi was ineligible because he was too old.

No, the age restriction is a must have for the Calder Trophy. That way someone from the KHL who is a seasoned veteran cannot come over to the NHL and be considered a rookie.

This happened in 1990 when Sergi Makarov won the calder as a 32 year old over Mike Modano who was 18 years old. Makarov had 10+ years of international experience with the Soviet team but because it was his first NHL season he was considered a rookie.

I think they should even lower the age to 23 years old.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:

That one you can blame on Sergei Makarov and Peter Stastny. Both were already accomplished players when they made it to the NHL, and both won RoY. In Stastny's case I think he beat out Wayne Gretzky...

Of course, now that the entire East bloc West bloc (for ice hockey purposes if nothing else) thing is pretty much over, maybe it might be time to readdress a fix that might have been needed in the early 1990's but may well not be needed now.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Niemi didn't deserve the Calder Trophy anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.