Cuban Signee Armando Rivero Set to Make Debut with Kane County This Week

chibears55

Liked Posts:
From Bleacher Nation
Because he’s been pitching at Extended Spring Training, you haven’t heard much about Armando Rivero, the Chicago Cubs’ most recent Cuban signee. Although the 25-year-old righty is not in the same class as, for example, an Aroldis Chapman coming out of Cuba, the Cubs gave Rivero a $3.1 million signing bonus, which is a very healthy sum on the international market.*

Now, we’ll finally get to see him in action. Jesse Sanchez reports that he hears Rivero is set to make his professional debut this week at Kane County. Although he’s expected by most to be a reliever long-term, he’ll likely begin as a starter, even if just to make sure he gets his innings in.

Cubs VP of Scouting and Player Development Jason McLeod spoke about Rivero back in March, and it will be interesting to see how he progresses in the Cubs’ system. Because of his age and relatively advanced experience, you could see him moving up the ladder quickly, and reaching the upper levels of the minors by the end of the season.

It would certainly be nice if Rivero emerged as a legitimate bullpen option for the Cubs as soon as 2014. They could use it.

*Because Rivero is 25, you’ll note that his signing bonus was not subject to the international spending limitations. Those limitations, and the fact that he was immune to them, probably served to artificially inflate his bonus to some extent.

abc

Last edited by a moderator:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Also from Bleacher Nation
Chicago Cubs in on Another Cuban Defector, Dalier Hinojosa – Plus an Update on Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

Under the new front office, it’s a safe bet that, if there’s a quality Cuban defector on the market – particularly one not subject to international spending limitations – the Chicago Cubs are going to be interested.

So it is with the latest Cuban, pitcher Dalier Hinojosa, a former star of the Cuban National Team. Jesse Sanchez reports that the 27-year-old righty defected from Cuba in February, and started the process of gaining free agency last month. More importantly, together with the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Yankees, the Cubs are listed as a team with interest.

Hinojosa throws in the low-to-mid-90s, utilizing a slider, curveball and changeup, according to Sanchez. He’s still in the process of getting unblocked by the US Government, a process that we all know can take some time. Once he’s unblocked, he’ll likely entertain offers for a period of time, and we might get a better sense of just how valued he is as a player.

Relatedly, Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez – whom we’ve discussed before, and in whom the Cubs also have interest – will be throwing for teams tomorrow in Mexico, after being granted free agency last week, according to Sanchez’s report. As with Hinojosa, it’s hard to say just how big-time the 26-year-old righty will be until we start hearing whispers of offers.

… which we might not, because sometimes these things are kept fairly well secret until a guy signs.

Either way, I’d expect the Cubs to pursue both Gonzalez and Hinojosa aggressively, assuming they like what they see. The Cubs need pitchers, especially advanced ones, so they’re as good of a fit here as any team in baseball.

Last Summer was all about the Jorge Soler pursuit for the Cubs – at least as far as Cuban defectors go. Maybe this Summer will be about Hinojosa and Gonzalez.

In the meantime, the Cubs will have to be content to watch the last Cuban pitcher they signed – Armando Rivero – get his professional career underway at Kane County this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez sounds like the more interesting of the two pitchers, but I am hopeful that the Cubs can deduce if either is a legitimate starter that could step in soon. Both of them are righties that throw decently hard, and have attracted the usual suspects in terms of bidders. Gonzalez has a tryout tomorrow, and so we should see what the market for him looks like a lot sooner than the other guy that still has to be unblocked.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am interested to see what Armando Rivero can do. I am hopeful that he can move quickly through the system and get to AA this year. The Cubs developing some internal options for the bullpen would be a nice change from the past. The Cubs might have a few interesting guys to fill out the end of a pen instead of having to try signing all the NRIs like they've gone to the past couple of years in a couple of seasons.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am interested to see what Armando Rivero can do. I am hopeful that he can move quickly through the system and get to AA this year. The Cubs developing some internal options for the bullpen would be a nice change from the past. The Cubs might have a few interesting guys to fill out the end of a pen instead of having to try signing all the NRIs like they've gone to the past couple of years in a couple of seasons.

My first thought was similar: developing BP arms. I want 5 starters and 7 closers on the team. :lol:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I WANT US TO CUT EVERYBODY AND SPEND $1 BILLION DOLLARS ON FIVE FREE AGENTS.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I see the "brain-trust" is out in full force today.

Did I miss some sort of celebration ?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Really nice to finally see some Bleacher Nation brought on site here.

Very informational and good stuff shared. Thank you.

Also, very nice to know we have some more potential pieces, for our seasons of sustained success, just right around the corner.

I'm starting to believe that things are going to finally start swinging in Theo's direction for a change.

The little things are making me start to dream about the bigger picture and what could be.

I see no other reason for the discussion.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Johnson to Daytona is bigger news IMO

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Perhaps, they are both older and hopefully can move quickly. Cubs Den seems to think the Cubs might legitimately give Rivero a chance to stick as a starter. Most reports seem to indicate that he will likely be a reliever, but it will be interesting to see how he handles it. It would certainly slow down his time table to get to the majors if they were going to keep him a starter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Johnson has done well in low A, but still would like his walk rate and hit per 9 to go down. Little high for my liking.