Cubs acquire Jeimer Candelario

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not really. Horton was a college player and he performed well. It's not surprising to see a college player hit AA a year after they are drafted especially if they are a high pick. Neto for example was drafted in the same class as Horton and was in the majors to start 2023. PCA had a 134 wRC+ in AA over 342 PAs. He's been ready for a promotion for awhile. Promotions were performance based not them being fast tracked.

Teams have projected windows. Max even said that the Mets told him their window was 2025 so he gave the green lite to trade.

Thus teams will push or delay to create talent surges. Cubs did this in their last window.

Even with Wicks they did not rush him even though he was polished coming in.

So I will disagree with you Beck. Normally I would agree but teams are stratigic in planning and a early winning window teams will adjust accordingly

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Teams have projected windows. Max even said that the Mets told him their window was 2025 so he gave the green lite to trade.

Thus teams will push or delay to create talent surges. Cubs did this in their last window.

So I will disagree with you Beck. Normally I would agree but teams are stratigic in planning and a early winning window teams will adjust accordingly
If the cubs were pushing their window they would have promoted PCA 2 months ago. If they were pushing Horton they wouldn't have babied him with his innings. He's only averaging like 4.2 innings per start despite the fact in many instances he has been dominant. Simple fact of the matter was he had a 3.20 FIP in high A with 12.45 k/9 and 2.3 bb/9. High A wasn't challenging him. PCA as i mentioned has had a better season in AA than he did in high A last year when he got promoted.

This isn't pushing your players before they are ready. They proved they were better than the level they were at. By the end of the season Horton will be 22. Wicks was 22 when he was in AA. This isn't abnormal. What would be abnormal would have been promoting Horton to AAA or promoting someone like Alcantara to AA as a 20 year old.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Cubs got the best bat available at the deadline and dumb ass Cub fans are mad about it.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The Cubs got the best bat available at the deadline and dumb ass Cub fans are mad about it.
Only an idiot would think it is that simplistic. Other people think there was alternative options that were best for the teams long term goals. The people that didn't love it aren't simply thinking about making the playoffs this year as a mediocre team

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You’re ALL IN for 2023 huh?!

Don’t get me wrong, fun team to watch that has earned a lot of respect, but that’s about it.

And LOL @ best bat available at the deadline ?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Only an idiot would think it is that simplistic. Other people think there was alternative options that were best for the teams long term goals. The people that didn't love it aren't simply thinking about making the playoffs this year as a mediocre team
It is possible that they aren't mediocre though. Since the Wild Card era in the national league:
5 have won the world series, and 5 have made it to the WS and lost. So 40% of the time a wild card team makes the WS at minimum. That is good for the team long term and good for getting free agents long term.

Not to mention the guys we traded away were not going to be on the team next year. So it didn't mortgage long term goals, and helped improve the chance of a WS win or appearance for this year.

Had we obtained guys with control, like Burger, it would have cost a premier prospect, and Burger isn't even that good (doesn't really have a position). I could imagine how high it would be if they had traded for someone that was actually legit.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It is possible that they aren't mediocre though. Since the Wild Card era in the national league:
5 have won the world series, and 5 have made it to the WS and lost. So 40% of the time a wild card team makes the WS at minimum. That is good for the team long term and good for getting free agents long term.

Not to mention the guys we traded away were not going to be on the team next year. So it didn't mortgage long term goals, and helped improve the chance of a WS win or appearance for this year.

Had we obtained guys with control, like Burger, it would have cost a premier prospect, and Burger isn't even that good (doesn't really have a position). I could imagine how high it would be if they had traded for someone that was actually legit.
Thats fine. We are on a different page. I think the team is a year or two away from real contention. At one point it looked like they had 2 pieces that could bring back really nice returns that may be part of the future.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Thats fine. We are on a different page. I think the team is a year or two away from real contention. At one point it looked like they had 2 pieces that could bring back really nice returns that may be part of the future.
Fair enough.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think it's more that you stay in rebuild until a team emerges with impressive character and skill to overcome disadvantages.

Then you invest in them and add what you need with hopefully the surplus of restores stored from rebuilding.

I'm impressed with these Cubs, and not surprised but more Id say jealous my Sox spent a decade rebuilding to underachieve and implode and expose a poorly built team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think it's more that you stay in rebuild until a team emerges with impressive character and skill to overcome disadvantages.

Then you invest in them and add what you need with hopefully the surplus of restores stored from rebuilding.

I'm impressed with these Cubs, and not surprised but more Id say jealous my Sox spent a decade rebuilding to underachieve and implode and expose a poorly built team.

The best teams use the farm to find cost cuts but the core comes from all resources.

Building via the farm only is folly. Even the Astros, whom draft with the best are spending on top end vets to push rings.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The best teams use the farm to find cost cuts but the core comes from all resources.

Building via the farm only is folly. Even the Astros, whom draft with the best are spending on top end vets to push rings.
their farm system is now trash because they are either up at the MLB level now or they have traded them away for deadline pieces the last handful of years

CSF77

Liked Posts:
their farm system is now trash because they are either up at the MLB level now or they have traded them away for deadline pieces the last handful of years
Fair evaluation

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've seen some plans going forward. Longoria has been a name tossed around. Othani looks like he will sign with one of the west coast play off teams.

All things concered. If I'm Jed I would do this:

1. Bring up Wicks, PCA and Brown this year. Get them some innings in the bigs.

2. Work on extending Bellenger. 8/225 has been tossed around and for a 28 yo player go for it.

3. Plan on letting Smyly and Hendricks walk. Time to bring in youth.

4. Plan for Stroman to walk. But be prepared for him to pull his opt after a poor 2nd half.

5. Set up a offer towards Canderio between 15-20M AAV. 3-5 years. If he wants more then Longoria makes sense as a 1 year guy

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pen build around A.A. they need more high energy types to juice up the fans in tight games.