Cubs Announce AFL Roster

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs will send 7 players to the Fall League this year, they will play for the Mesa Solar Sox.

RHP David Cales
RHP Chris Carpenter
RHP Jake Muyco
RHP Kyle Smit
IF Ryan Flaherty
IF Josh Vitters
OF Brett Jackson

I'm kind of surprised Chris Archer wasn't named, but perhaps the Cubs are trying to keep his innings down after a full season in the minors.

Carpenter was just promoted to AAA, and the Cubs obviously think highly of him. While I don't think he will be in the rotation or anything next season, he is certainly a possibility to be called up at some point in 2011.

Smit came over from the Dodgers, and has continued a fine season. Like Carpenter, he could be in the bullpen mix at some point next season.

Vitters obviously needs more PAs after breaking his hand.

Jackson could be on the Starlin Castro path, a good showing in the AFL and a strong start to next season, he could be on the team quickly. I'd like to see him play CF in the AFL, since that is the position where he would provide the most value to the team.

Don't know much on the others right now, but obviously the Cubs have high opinions of them, because the AFL spots are usually reserved for the better prospects.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan Flaherty? I think there are better options out there because he has stuggled big time and got demoted this year.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They probably want to give him another chance at better pitching before the winter. Maybe they think he figured something out. Plus they tried to have him skip High-A at first, but obviously he wasn't ready. Now he might be.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Cales and Muyco are average middle relief pitchers middling between AA and AAA. Probably just getting more innings, don't see anything in their numbers that suggests future MLB success.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think they just want Flaherty to get work because he was a top spect but he dropped from that. They probably want him to get back in that way.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm excited to see Carpenter this fall.

Def tell us how he looks. He's still a pretty solid prospect, even though I think he's been forgotten a bit. He's kind of in-between Cashner and Jackson and then Archer and McNutt. At least as far as development timeline goes, he very well could end up being just as useful as any of the other four.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
There could/will be games on the MLBN, I think, if you have it.

BSquaredShow

Liked Posts:
Just a response to Archer. Pretty sure the reason why he isn't on the AFL roster is because along with Brett Jackson and possibly Brad Snyder, Arch was asked to play on TEAM USA this fall which starts right after the Southern League playoffs. Think you're right about limiting his innings.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just a response to Archer. Pretty sure the reason why he isn't on the AFL roster is because along with Brett Jackson and possibly Brad Snyder, Arch was asked to play on TEAM USA this fall which starts right after the Southern League playoffs. Think you're right about limiting his innings.

Team USA> AFL

Good for him, hopefully he has a good (injury free) showing. Good for Jackson as well, the more PA he gets the better. Wonder if Team USA will let him play CF.

BSquaredShow

Liked Posts:
Yes, it will be great for both of them. I hope so too. Jackson hopefully will get some reps in center, he can certainly go get'em. The more PA the better too. He's not going to the Dominican this winter so he can use that time to rest an negate the fatigue.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Good to see Vitters and Jackson getting more work in.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters is the one that needs to get work in..being number 4 pick (i believe). he should be better then what he has been...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And since he had a season-ending injury,

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters is the one that needs to get work in..being number 4 pick (i believe). he should be better then what he has been...

I'm pretty down on him as well, especially if he can't stick at third base.

The good news is, he's very young, and has been promoted very aggressively. He still has time to develop his bat, being healthy would help though.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty down on him as well, especially if he can't stick at third base.

The good news is, he's very young, and has been promoted very aggressively. He still has time to develop his bat, being healthy would help though.

He is very very young for AA. Only 20 year old that played for the Smokies are Castro and Vitters, and only 5 more were 21.

He still has time and has hit pretty well in his first stop of the year each of the last three years then struggled when moved up but hit well there the following season.

Of course if he can't stick at 3B it brings him down, but he should be a legit MLB bat still, but most likely at 1B/RF.