Cubs Are Playing Great, But Do Not Get Fooled

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
For the first time all season, the Chicago Cubs are showing signs of life. The problem is, these signs of life have come four seasons too late. But, is anyone actually surprised by these end of season offensive eruptions anymore? This is what the Cubs do year in and year out in these lost seasons. The play poorly in the first few months until we are in all reality eliminated from playoff contention, and then turn on the juices and start playing the way we thought they could all season long. A prime example is what they did last year, playing above .500 against some of the contending teams and giving fans hope that they are as close as they have claimed going into the year. That “miracle” run is what got Manager Mike Quade his job this year. Fans all seemed to love him then, but now think he is in over his head and should never have gotten this job to begin with. But that is another story for another day.

With this current five game winning streak, over two over the top three teams in the National League Central the Cubs are playing better than anyone could have imagined they would and both the fans and the players are having fun again. You can tell the players are because Marlon Byrd received the first “pie” to the face of the entire season. They look as though they are actually enjoying themselves and want to be out there playing the game! The fans are celebrating each win, because they are rare to come by this year and you never know when the next one will come. But the fans need to keep in mind that this whole winning streak is just a mirage, and does not mean anything for the current year or for the years to come.

I understand, I really do. Fans love to see their team win, even when there is very little hope to get back into the playoff hunt for the year. I love seeing the Cubs win as well, and hope they can continue to play this well until the end of the season, even if the chances of that happening are nothing more than a fantasy. But how they finish the season, even if they somehow manage to get back to even, will not change my thoughts about their chances of next season. I still do not buy into the thought that this team is close to contending. There are just far too many holes on this team to make them an actual contender next year, and they are not a Prince Fielder or a Albert Pujols away from being a legitimate contender again, not with this group of players.

Unless there are some serious trades and some great free agent signings, the Cubs will have a handful of new players in the starting nine next year. Aramis Ramirez will likely be brought back, and with the Cubs holding on to Carlos Pena at the deadline he will likely be back as well. That means there is only going to be one spot on the 2012 opening day lineup than that from opening day of this year. Can changing one piece on a team which was bad enough to get to 23 games below .500 make them a contender?

The answer to that question is no. Last week when Carlos Zambrano said that this team needed change in order to compete again, I am sure he was not talking about just the trade of Kosuke Fukudome. He is a player who understands how far away this team is from being a serious contender again. Serious moves need to be made in order for this team to contend, and not just trading away one player who has an expiring contract.

Enjoy Cubs baseball while they are on this miraculous run, but do yourselves a favor and do not get too excited about their play. Even if they somehow manage to get into the playoffs they need to blow this team up.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:cubs: gonna :sweep:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The biggest change is going to be the one made or not made at the top of the organization. If both Crane Kenny and Jim Hendry are left in place after this season we all have reason to be upset. Now the only question is does this little run (can we really call it a run when they just got back to where they were 10 games ago?) and if they continue to play well at what point does it save Hendry's job with Ricketts? I know everyone's answer is that it shouldn't no matter what the number, but I am curious what is Ricketts number that shows progress enough to leave the front office intact.

Last edited:

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Hendry and Quade might very well save their jobs and guarantee a return next year if they continue to play at this level. If they some how get back to .500 its no doubt.

I have heard though, that if that Gillick is hired, that could save Hendry's job and just remove Kenney from the position he is in.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry and Quade might very well save their jobs and guarantee a return next year if they continue to play at this level. If they some how get back to .500 its no doubt.

I have heard though, that if that Gillick is hired, that could save Hendry's job and just remove Kenney from the position he is in.

Well Gillick is an interesting wildcard in the whole scenario. It seems like he is pretty openly campaigning for a President of Baseball Operations type job somewhere, but Ricketts early on said he doesn't need a baseball guy to watch his baseball guy. I wouldn't mind him going back on that to bring in Gillick.

I don't know if .500 is good enough to save either job, and I don't intend to root for the Cubs to lose just to increase the chances of heads rolling. I just think that is the biggest question that will show where we are headed.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again every team even bad ones win 5-6 games in row at some point in a season. Even the bad teams win 65-70 games. Just enjoy it while it last