Cubs' Lopez Might Pitch Himself Onto Next Years Team

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anyone actually think that the Cubs will have Rodrigo in their rotation this year? That was just a "Ihavetomeetmydeadline" type of article from Gordo. It's pure speculation. If we hire a GM that lets a 36 year old pitcher with a career era of 5.13 in the NL, I think we are going to have much bigger, long-term problems.

yeah, i dont see him in the rotation either.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Long term can change pretty quickly, and if Fielder follows the career path of his dad he really only has a few more peak years left. And while I understand that the pitching available isn't overwhelming this year, but we are already starting to see all those amazing pitchers that were suppose to be available a year from now are not even hitting the market (Weaver, Wainwright). I have a hard time believing that my team with CJ Wilson and Carlos Pena wouldn't be better the next two years than your team with Fielder and Rodrigo Lopez.

Why would you have Wilson and Pena but only give us Fielder and Lopez?

I mean what are you expecting Wilson and Pena to make that Fielder and Lopez would be equal? I figure that Wilson is around 15 and Pena probably in the 10 range again. Fielder is probably only 18. So that still gives 7 million to spend.

I dont know exactly what these guys will want, but I would think that with 7 million or so we could sign one of Kuroda, Marquis, Maholm, Penny or Harang.

Or you could probably get Kelly Johnson or Aaron Hill.

I just can't see any way spending 25 million on Pena/Wilson is better than Fielder/whatever else 7 million buys us. Is Pena/Wilson better than Fielder/Lopez? Probably, but thats because Lopez isn't a major league baseball player.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I could see the team going after both Fielder and Wilson... and signing both. However... NOTHING else will be done but arbitration stuff. Garza will get a pretty good raise. So will Marshall. ARam will go, which will leave a huge gap at 3B... like him or not. 2013 leaves hope for more moves, but that's because Zambo, Dempster, and Byrd will be off the books. However, you're looking at arb years for Garza, Soto, DeWitt, Wells, Russell. Marshall would also be headed to the FA market. So, how much cash would be available to throw at that potential goldmine of FA pitching in 2013 is highly debatable, especially if you sign both Fielder and Wilson this winter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would you have Wilson and Pena but only give us Fielder and Lopez?

I mean what are you expecting Wilson and Pena to make that Fielder and Lopez would be equal? I figure that Wilson is around 15 and Pena probably in the 10 range again. Fielder is probably only 18. So that still gives 7 million to spend.

I dont know exactly what these guys will want, but I would think that with 7 million or so we could sign one of Kuroda, Marquis, Maholm, Penny or Harang.

Or you could probably get Kelly Johnson or Aaron Hill.

I just can't see any way spending 25 million on Pena/Wilson is better than Fielder/whatever else 7 million buys us. Is Pena/Wilson better than Fielder/Lopez? Probably, but thats because Lopez isn't a major league baseball player.
You get at most 5 million to spend in this scenario with Fielder as one of the two players, and the guys that are available at that price aren't exactly appealing. But we've been over this one again and again. I get that you guys think there will be big improvements internally that will make things better. I don't. That is where the debate begins and ends at this point. Ideally we get both this offseason. I would settle for either one to be honest.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would Fielder leave for a team like the Cubs that aren't going anywhere again next season? :shrug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would Fielder leave for a team like the Cubs that aren't going anywhere again next season? :shrug:

Lots and lots of $.

Debatable whether the Cubs have that much $ though :lol:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lots and lots of $.

Debatable whether the Cubs have that much $ though :lol:

They have it. It depends if Ricketts spends it...With close to 50 mil coming off books this offseason