1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The Cubs were definitely not gloating over the news Wednesday that the Cardinals may have lost pitcher Adam Wainwright to a serious elbow injury.

"He's on one of our rivalry teams," pitcher Sean Marshall said, "but I still wish him the best as a friend. You don't wish that on anyone for sure, even if it is your 'sports enemy.' Adam's a great guy and I wish him well. He's definitely one of their staples in their rotation and a Cy Young contender the last couple years and it helps our team if he's not in the rotation but you don't wish anything bad on anybody."

Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood has had to deal with his share of injuries.

"You feel bad for the guy and you never want to see guys get hurt, especially top of the line guys like that," Wood said, "but he's not the first and he won't be the last."

Said Cubs manager Mike Quade: "That's a shame, that's what that is. It's a damn shame. I don't know what else to say. I watched him come through the system. ... You want to win and compete and all the rest of it, but you don't like seeing anybody get hurt, that's for darn sure. He's meant a lot to them. That will be a tough one [to overcome]."

It's been a tough camp for the Cardinals with all the talk about Albert Pujols' contract and now this.

"I've always said that as long as [Tony La Russa] is running the club and they have the people they have,it's a great franchise and they always have the ability to get better and add on and I fully expect them to be right in the thick of it no matter what," GM Jim Hendry said.

Via Muskat

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course players dont want to see other players get hurt. You can not tell me that part of them are happy to see this though....

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Of course players dont want to see other players get hurt. You can not tell me that part of them are happy to see this though....

Wait, what?

You kind of said the same thing in both sentences.

Or did you mean that we couldn't tell you that part of them weren't happy, as in they actually were a little?

:confused:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He is saying that they are at least somewhat happy.

That's what I figured, but he phrased it in a way that would mean the opposite, so I double checking. :shrug:

:cubs:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
im saying that they are happy about the injury but cant say it (Even though it sounds like CIN did...I see anohter fight between CIN and STL lol)

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
i was hoping the article would have just been this:

:nelson:

that would have been classy

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quade's "its a shame. Its a damn shame" line made me chuckle. It reminded me of a movie line but I cant think of the film.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
im saying that they are happy about the injury but cant say it (Even though it sounds like CIN did...I see anohter fight between CIN and STL lol)

Let's see Pujols take down Votto. :shifty:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Looper:
Braden Looper was Adam Wainwright's teammate on the Cardinals, and both are board of directors of an organization. Looper last saw Wainwright this offseason. As soon as Looper heard about Wainwright's elbow injury, he sent a text message to his friend.

"He told me a couple jokes, back and forth," Looper said Thursday of Wainwright. "He didn't know what was going on yet."

If he's joking, then maybe Wainwright's elbow injury isn't that serious?

"That's just his personality," said Looper, who hoped to call Wainwright later Thursday. "I'm sure it's tough. It's a big loss for a team like that -- any team. That's just his personality and you have to know him to appreciate it. He's a good hard worker and he'll be all right."

Looper didn't know any details about Wainwright's injury.

"I know that knowing him, he's a character guy and he's a guy who shows young guys how to work hard, so I know he'll be all right," Looper said. "That's a comforting thing for me, knowing that he's a guy who will bust his butt to get back."

Cubs fans may be excited about the Cardinals losing their 20-game winner from the rotation. Looper would like to face a team when it's at full strength.

"We want to beat them because we're better," he said. "You never want to wish a guy to get hurt. You want to say at the end of the day, hopefully, we're a better team than they are. Every team goes through adversity. Obviously, [the Cardinals'] is starting sooner than ours. I'm sure there will be something we'll have to go through. Every team goes through something."

Via Muskat

ech1997

Liked Posts:
Sure. As a decent human being, nobody is going to gloat. If you don't think from a strategic standpoint, NL Central teams aren't thrilled (or at least relieved) that Wainwright is out, you're kidding yourself.