Cubs sending 8 to AFL

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/19479/cubs-star-prospects-to-play-in-afl

Shortstop Javier Baez (2011), centerfielder Albert Almora (2012) and third baseman Kris Bryant (2013) will join Soler and four pitchers to play for the Mesa Solar Sox in October. The pitchers are current Double-A prospects Dallas Beeler, Matt Loosen, Armando Rivero and the injured Arodys Vizcaino.

Good to see Soler and Vizcaino in there. Hopefully they will be healthy.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised they are sending Baez again

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think they want to see if the core has chemistry together.

Yea, could be. I know about a week ago when they were naming most likely to go. Baez wasn't apart of what I was reading. I guess they find this the best place for him. The team should put up some ridiculous amount of runs. Baez and Bryant are going to hit some monster home runs.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, could be. I know about a week ago when they were naming most likely to go. Baez wasn't apart of what I was reading. I guess they find this the best place for him. The team should put up some ridiculous amount of runs. Baez and Bryant are going to hit some monster home runs.

Soler has great power as well. Too bad the games aren't aired, that would be a lot of fun to watch.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the sounds of it, Baez will start at SS but also play 2B and 3B as well. I wouldn't be surprised in Bryant played some OF too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya seeing 2-5 of Almora, Baez, Bryant and Soler is going to give starters fits.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soler has great power as well. Too bad the games aren't aired, that would be a lot of fun to watch.

Soler has power but not on the scale as them. I was talking huge homeruns. Bryant and Baez have outrageous power with Baez considered with slightly better power then Bryant. Its so close though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
From the sounds of it, Baez will start at SS but also play 2B and 3B as well. I wouldn't be surprised in Bryant played some OF too.

I don't think he will start at SS because of 2 words: Addison Russell.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think the reason Baez is going is to work on his defense more than anything. Perhaps to give him more of a chance to work on plate discipline but if he improves his defense he has a real shot to break camp with the cubs next year because clearly his bat is ready.

Him Soler and Vizcaino are the most interesting 3 to me because they sort of make other decisions by their play. Soler is eventually going to supplant Schierholtz in RF. Baez's position has impact on potentially Castro, Olt, and Bryant as well as potentially LFers if Bryant has to move. Vizcaino just because he's been hurt so much we don't know what he'll be and he could be a big upgrade for cheap if healthy.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the reason Baez is going is to work on his defense more than anything. Perhaps to give him more of a chance to work on plate discipline but if he improves his defense he has a real shot to break camp with the cubs next year because clearly his bat is ready.

Him Soler and Vizcaino are the most interesting 3 to me because they sort of make other decisions by their play. Soler is eventually going to supplant Schierholtz in RF. Baez's position has impact on potentially Castro, Olt, and Bryant as well as potentially LFers if Bryant has to move. Vizcaino just because he's been hurt so much we don't know what he'll be and he could be a big upgrade for cheap if healthy.

I would bet my left nut that he doesn't break camp. The Cubs have no desire to start his clock early. July or August would be my guess. I do think its for defense, but I think its more to ease him into other positions. That's what the AFL is for. I think he will wined up at third a good bit in the AFL.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Almora is on the taxi squad so he probably isn't going to get a ton of playing time, but it should be a good experience. It would be fun if the big four get pushed hard here in the next calendar year to get the majority to the big leagues within that time frame.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would bet my left nut that he doesn't break camp. The Cubs have no desire to start his clock early. July or August would be my guess. I do think its for defense, but I think its more to ease him into other positions. That's what the AFL is for. I think he will wined up at third a good bit in the AFL.

Yeah I think they would like to bring him up midseason. But, with the way his hitting and if he continues it in the AFL it makes that a tough decision.

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
It's funny/sad, projections aside, this team right now might have a better offense than the current Cubs roster does.