Cubs sign Clifton

bay area bears

Liked Posts:
According to his twitter feed, Cubs have inked 12th round pick Clifton. Maybe now both sides of the freakout can step back and realize the front office did exactly what they were supposed to, at least in regards to negotiations

bay area bears

Liked Posts:
Many posters here and otherwise wanted to throw Bryant every penny Boras asked for to get him playing immediately, and scoffed at the importance of a 12th round pick in comparison. Now that the smoke has cleared, we have in fact signed Bryant as expected, in addition to getting Clifton, a kid who had he attended college and put some pounds on his tall frame could very well have ended up being a first round pick a few years down the line. Clifton already throws gas and from all accounts ive read appears to be an extremely high character play. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 years from now we look back at this being an important signing. Cudos to Jed and Theo

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tony Clifton? Is he making a comeback with Andy Kaufman?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many posters here and otherwise wanted to throw Bryant every penny Boras asked for to get him playing immediately, and scoffed at the importance of a 12th round pick in comparison. Now that the smoke has cleared, we have in fact signed Bryant as expected, in addition to getting Clifton, a kid who had he attended college and put some pounds on his tall frame could very well have ended up being a first round pick a few years down the line. Clifton already throws gas and from all accounts ive read appears to be an extremely high character play. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 years from now we look back at this being an important signing. Cudos to Jed and Theo

Its always nice to sign every prospect, but I wouldnt get to excited about something that hasn't even pitched yet.

bay area bears

Liked Posts:
haha maybe I'm a little over excited, but the point is that instead of throwing Boras every penny he wanted and giving Bryant an extra few weeks of AB's, the front office did the right thing and were able to sign an extra prospect that has more upside than most 12th round picks. Bryant not signing was never a possibility.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Its always nice to sign every prospect, but I wouldnt get to excited about something that hasn't even pitched yet.

why not ? yes its disappointing that the major league team isnt up to par yet but as fans we could get excited over the fact that they have been able to draft and sign pretty good players for the system along with some of the top international players (especially this year )..

that part of the buisness is just as important as what they do with the major league club, so we should be happy seeing them be one of the top teams signing very good talent for the system.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
why not ? yes its disappointing that the major league team isnt up to par yet but as fans we could get excited over the fact that they have been able to draft and sign pretty good players for the system along with some of the top international players (especially this year )..

that part of the buisness is just as important as what they do with the major league club, so we should be happy seeing them be one of the top teams signing very good talent for the system.

He isn't a monster prospect. He isn't Dillon Maples from a couple of years ago. Im glad you get excited about every little thing. I am just saying don't get excited unless he starts to excel. Should I be happy about the 38th round pick because he is a Cub? I get your premise but you are stretching it.

bay area bears

Liked Posts:
He isn't a monster prospect. He isn't Dillon Maples from a couple of years ago. Im glad you get excited about every little thing. I am just saying don't get excited unless he starts to excel. Should I be happy about the 38th round pick because he is a Cub? I get your premise but you are stretching it.

Your point is valid, so long as you realize that Clifton isn't an average 12th round pick. If he was, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. He grades out as a top level talent, who slipped because teams knew he was going to sign over slot, which of course he did.

Obviously getting excited about every single draft pick is obsessive, but why not embrace the process? We're stuck in the middle of a large scale rebuild, whether you like it or not. The way I see it you can sit around complaining about this inevitable fact, or get on board and enjoy it for what it is. I for one am looking forward to following the progress of the Cubs top prospects over the next 2-3 years, and I'm fairly confident that doing so will result in a more rewarding end result. Get on board and enjoy it, or whine about how the odds point to 99% of these kids flopping. your choice

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think it's awesome that a certain few were bitching about not signing Bryant because the club thought highly of the 12th pick and wanted to sign him, too. Oh no! The sky is falling. The organization didn't lay over and spread its legs wide open for its #1 pick. All is lost. LOL. They got signed who they wanted to sign. Will this all help the MLB club? Maybe. Maybe not. It's certainly nothing to get too bent out of shape over.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

i wasnt talking about anyone specific, just in general that they have been able to draft (sign )good players amateur and international and sign them..
that its ok to be happy / excited about that part of the process for the team..

as a fan isnt it better to see them do this then what we have seen alot of in the past.. they draft average HS/college players, sign about a third of them, and hope that maybe 1 might at least make it to AAA let alone the majors..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs also signed 19th round college catcher Will Remillard for $150,000, again per Callis. Remillard, a redshirt sophomore at Coastal Carolina, had originally indicated that he wouldn’t be signing. It sounds like he upped his stock by subsequently playing in the Cape Cod league, and got a little over slot bonus from the Cubs. Everybody wins. Catcher is an organizational position of weakness, and the Cubs loaded up on them in this Draft.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
THANK GOD. I WAS WORRIED WE WERE GONNA LOSE CLIFTON AT THE EXPENSE OF BRYANT.

Crying-Baby-001.jpg

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just like what was expected 2 weeks ago.