Cubs to start own cable network in 2020.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/...ubs-intention-to-start-cable-network-in-2020/

Personally, I don't love this as I may not see many cubs games unless I stream but it's probably a good thing for the team.

I think this was always presumed to be the model they would go to but I don't think that was known to be virtually set in stone until today's announcement. For people that worry about Cubs payroll this is really good news because whatever they put in place will have to have all the details and monetary structure worked out sometime in 2017. It takes 2 plus years to set up a network from scratch and the team will be able to borrow against future assets. Again this was always assumed but if a network like CSN were to have purchased the rights negotiations could have gone well in to 2018 or beyond because the infrastructure would essentially be in place. This really is good news.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Obvious move that a national team like the Cubs need to do. Too bad they're basically a half decade late but better than never.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Obvious move that a national team like the Cubs need to do. Too bad they're basically a half decade late but better than never.

The way the Tribune negotiated the contracts within it's own solely owned (WGN) or partially owned (CSN) subsidiaries was to weight the profits towards the broadcast side with less money going into the Cubs. In the years they were trying to sell the team they shifted revenue like merchandise and concession sales directly into the team to raise the sale price. The ironic thing of course is that Crane Kenney was the architect of much of that strategy and now is the architect of this one. Company man, doesn't matter the company.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The way the Tribune negotiated the contracts within it's own solely owned (WGN) or partially owned (CSN) subsidiaries was to weight the profits towards the broadcast side with less money going into the Cubs. In the years they were trying to sell the team they shifted revenue like merchandise and concession sales directly into the team to raise the sale price. The ironic thing of course is that Crane Kenney was the architect of much of that strategy and now is the architect of this one. Company man, doesn't matter the company.

Probably because the Cubs don't have to share TV revenue through subsidiaries as much as if the Cubs took the profits in directly. Now that TV rights are so valuable, they're going back to that because even if they share more, they're probably going to look at 3X the money.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Yankees used their own cable channel which I believe is called the YES channel to funnel millions into the club although I think Fox has recently purchased a big chunk of it.

czman

Liked Posts:
The Yankees used their own cable channel which I believe is called the YES channel to funnel millions into the club although I think Fox has recently purchased a big chunk of it.

15 years ago. The Cubs need this. I just hope wish they could get this done sooner. I am sure they have contract obligations that prevents it.