Cubs vs. Dodgers

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not good enough. I'd rather not trade top prospects or really any worthwhile prospects if you still aren't going to be a world series contender

I don't like holding chips that may never pan out. Rather they go all in and come up short vs not making the commitment in the first place.

The only reason why I was not pleased with the Sox deal was Q was not a tor quality starter. He was a #2 on a bad team. The Cubs gave up 2 top 100 for it.

Othani is a 2 way player. The value is already in tact. It is not a #2 like Stro that Jed tosses PCA and Horten at. That is basically what happened.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sooooo....the Cubs master plan is to completely obliterate the farm system, the same farm system they just took the last 4 years to rebuild....to make a trade for one player. One player who they will have to pay a gazzilion dollars to and will be 30 when the Cubs push for the WS.

Cool thought on keeping players that don't pan out....of course, the other side of the coin is called Cease, Torres and Jimenez.

Had they kept Cease, they'd have their TOR starter.

Don't get me wrong, if they want to sign Oh as a free agent...im all in. And while I do give @CSF77 credit for not just regurgitating shit other people have said. But gutting the system they worked so hard to rebuild for one player would be insanely stupid especially given the fact that Spotrac states said player will be a UFA in 2024.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sooooo....the Cubs master plan is to completely obliterate the farm system, the same farm system they just took the last 4 years to rebuild....to make a trade for one player. One player who they will have to pay a gazzilion dollars to and will be 30 when the Cubs push for the WS.

Cool thought on keeping players that don't pan out....of course, the other side of the coin is called Cease, Torres and Jimenez.

Had they kept Cease, they'd have their TOR starter.

Don't get me wrong, if they want to sign Oh as a free agent...im all in. And while I do give @CSF77 credit for not just regurgitating shit other people have said. But gutting the system they worked so hard to rebuild for one player would be insanely stupid especially given the fact that Spotrac states said player will be a UFA in 2024.

The Cubs have depth. And I said the 2 guys that Jed should never trade are PCA and Horton.

A 3rd would be Wicks.

Wicks is a change up LHSP. He fills a need to replace Smyly

PCA replaces Bellenger.

That is why I would deem them no touch.

Getting to Othani and F/A. Could happen but at that point the Cubs are competing with most pay rolls in baseball.

Cubs have a edge. Othani was interested. And they have a Japanese RF.

But all things equal on the open market SDP are a likely spot for him to land.

All things considered having Othani for 3 months gives Jed the opportunity to sign in long term. And it gives Othani the opportunity to decide.

Now if Othani goes in saying he is hitting the market. Then the offer drops. At best Davis or Alcantera, Howard or Hernandez and Kilian. LAA balks then gear up for the off season sweepstakes. They have Hendricks and Stro off the books so offer the moon.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the main thing about trading (in general) is not only about winning this year. It is getting a guy in who has not had the first hand experience of being a Cub and experiencing the ball park and the following. The gold standard club house and first hand experience.

At the end of the day every MLB team will make him rich. What matters is where he feels comfortable and happy.

Getting a guy in helps create that.

Waiting around? He will have no personal connection to the team. So ya it becomes another team in the long line of teams that are willing to make him rich.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Ohtani is likely hitting FA no matter what and getting the biggest contract ever. Dodgers will blow everyone out of the water to win the bidding war. They reset their luxury tax so they could go get him this year.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ohtani is likely hitting FA no matter what and getting the biggest contract ever. Dodgers will blow everyone out of the water to win the bidding war. They reset their luxury tax so they could go get him this year.
Lmao....when he gets on one of his moronic tangents, be prepared for multiple posts in short novel lengths. Seriously, I wonder if he really thinks people read all that tripe.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
No doubt the Dodgers are loading up on FA cash but they are going to have some holes of their own to fill for 2024 and from what I'm seeing, they aren't under the 2023 CBT. The Dodgers will have 3 SP slots to fill along with LF and DH and, according to Cot's, 133M to do it with. I don't know if Cot's projection of payroll includes arbitration guesses but I would presume so. If they pick up Muncy's option, it'll take most like 14M of the 133M given he'll probably reach all the PA goals. The Dodgers will be a big player in the Ohtani sweepstakes.

I'm not that worried about the Padres as they have Soto to look to re-sign unless they want to either give up on that or go all Mets about it. The Mets would still have to be in F it mode. The Yankees would have about 40M to play with. San Fran, Houston, Texas are also possible players.

The Cubs project to have about 78M without Stroman opting out and the only holes being 1 SP and the pen if you think the combination of what the Cubs are getting from 3B is enough and Mervis and PCA are as advertised.

I could realistically see someone going 12Y/600M on Ohtani and not blink about it. That's not what I think the Cubs should do, but I could see someone going there. Just depends on what he wants and where he wants.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lmao....when he gets on one of his moronic tangents, be prepared for multiple posts in short novel lengths. Seriously, I wonder if he really thinks people read all that tripe.

I'll keep it short just 4U

Othani will sign where he wants to. It will not be a cash grab as every team will toss it at him.

As is Cubs have no shot. Trading opens opportunity that he may want to stay.

I'm not sold on LAD. I would think the Pads might be a better match up for him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of people love the long ball but IMOP, the most exciting thing in baseball is a bases clearing triple.

Great job, #2!!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'll keep it short just 4U

Othani will sign where he wants to. It will not be a cash grab as every team will toss it at him.

As is Cubs have no shot. Trading opens opportunity that he may want to stay.

I'm not sold on LAD. I would think the Pads might be a better match up for him.
"As is Cubs have no shot"- why?

And how does giving up a shitton of prospects give them a shot? Because Ohtani plays in Wrigley three months and falls in love with it? Could happen. But are they better positioned to contend if they trade away a bunch?

If he hits FA, the Cubs absolutely can be a player.

Wasn't the story when he signed initially in the US that the only places he considered were for west coast teams and for the Cubs?

Castor76

Liked Posts:

OP feels that he is turning it around and has no Cubs future.

The moment the Cubs re-signed Happ, every farm prospect not named PCA who is close became a trade chip. If PCA is as advertised, 24-26 is Happ, PCA, Suzuki form LF to RF. Most any could hope is DH or back up.

I know some don't want to hear it, but if an OF guy who is currently on the farm at some level but is expected to by ML by 2024, his best value to the Cubs is as a trade piece for a pitcher most likely.

I can see both sides of the Ohtani argument. Why trade away chips in 2023 if you think you can get him just for the draft pick compensation afterwards and also run the risk of not being able to re-sign him? But, there is also the idea of getting him in house and getting him liking the culture. Personally, I'd wait to see where the teams is come mid-July. If they are still a true playoff contender, then go for it. Show him you are willing to invest in the team now and the seasons to come. The ASB is right at the 90 game mark. 47 Wins by then and you think about it with a big 10 game home stand right after to make an impression.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"As is Cubs have no shot"- why?

And how does giving up a shitton of prospects give them a shot? Because Ohtani plays in Wrigley three months and falls in love with it? Could happen. But are they better positioned to contend if they trade away a bunch?

If he hits FA, the Cubs absolutely can be a player.

Wasn't the story when he signed initially in the US that the only places he considered were for west coast teams and for the Cubs?

Cubs are #3 in projected record. 15/7. Behind TBR and TEX. What has been the issue is the pen. Ie closer.

So regarding Othani this is the same question that 2016 posed. Do you trade for a ring.

I think 99.9% of the fan base would say yes. And 99.9% of the base would say do it again.

Most prospects are forgoten. WS championships are part of a team culture for generations.

So maybe some here need to get their priorities in order

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Othani does not fix this immediate issue. I would lay it on Thompson and Alozay tbh. At least they can get outs. Then figure out the middle innings.

Othani is a pipe dream. Don't get me wrong. But if you are looking at a ring. And this team has shown that it has that potential then you have to muse it at min