Cubs Willing To Listen On Everyone

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are telling teams they'll listen to trade offers on everyone this winter while trying to rebuild the team to be competitive in the future, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports tweeted something very similar around the same time, so perhaps the Cubs are trying to get the word out. ESPN's Buster Olney also joined in, saying Sean Marshall and Matt Garza figure to draw the most interest between now and July 31st.

The concept of listening to offers for any player is not unexpected for new Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer, and marks a change from Jim Hendry's reported summer stance of not listening on players he thought could help him in 2012. Still, a team drawing three million fans a year doesn't often embark on a full-on offseason rebuilding effort. The Cubs certainly haven't done that anytime recently. Hoyer isn't afraid to make an unpopular decision, though, having traded Adrian Gonzalez for prospects months after his Padres nearly won the NL West. And even after trading Gonzalez, Hoyer made a series of moves designed to keep the team competitive in 2011. The Cubs aren't ruling out anything at this point, Hoyer told MLB.com's Carrie Muskat.

Garza, 27, could be one of the best available starters this offseason. He's made 30 starts each of the last four years, has AL East experience, and struck out a career-best 197 this year with the move to the NL. He's under team control for two more years, though his salary could approach $9MM in 2012 and will likely enter eight figures in '13. Marshall is under contract for $3.1MM in 2012 and eligible for free agency after that. With a 2.45 ERA, 10.1 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, and 0.2 HR/9 over the last two years, he's become an elite reliever capable of a Mike Adams-like bounty.

Interesting.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
FIRE SALE!!!
Is it a fire sale when the Cubs are trying to maximize value of players instead of just selling them off for nothing :shrug:.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
@BNightengale
Bob Nightengale The #Cubs telling teams they'll listen to trade offers on everyone this winter while trying to rebuild team to be competitive in future.#mlb

@SI_JonHeyman
Jon Heyman competing gm: theo/hoyer have 5-year project with #cubs, #miraclemen

Why dont Cubs just come out and say its a full rebuild? Why then go after some of these SP that we are hearing about like Harang,Chen,Hernadez,

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I was going to say fire the "dream team"

Any fo should listen for any player at all times

Anything less is sloughing off

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it a fire sale when the Cubs are trying to maximize value of players instead of just selling them off for nothing :shrug:.

A fire sale is when they sell off their most valuable commodities for the best possible prospects. So they're not selling them off for nothing.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
If they figure they're not going to be contenting for five years then they might as well.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they figure they're not going to be contenting for five years then they might as well.

I think it's more of a 2-3 season plan. They have to shed the last of the bad contracts, rebuild the farm (which Hoyer showed he could do within two seasons at SD) and set a new philosophy. Regardless, these guys aren't going to be part of the next contending team, at least not in their primes/peaks anymore, so might as well get something for them in trade.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Heyman said it was a "5 year plan"

:dunno:

But, I see your point of view. If Hoyer can repeat his success in Chicago he had in SD in regards to the farm system, then all the better.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyman said it was a "5 year plan"

:dunno:

But, I see your point of view. If Hoyer can repeat his success in Chicago he had in SD in regards to the farm system, then all the better.

It's a five-year plan because if they don't get to the playoffs within five years they're all fired :lol:

I think it's too soon to tell especially since we have no idea what the plan is for this offseason. Are they going to spend? Are they going to go young? Will Z be back? Will they still have draft picks if Rami and Pena leave due to the new CBA? All these and more will be answered by spring training. Maybe.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A fire sale is when they sell off their most valuable commodities for the best possible prospects. So they're not selling them off for nothing.
To me, that's doing good business.

Fire sale to me would be trading Z or Soriano while paying 90% of their contract with 0 or limited return :dunno:.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a "5 year plan" but you're probably looking at contention within 2-3. Hoping to have the prize within 5.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, that's doing good business.

Fire sale to me would be trading Z or Soriano while paying 90% of their contract with 0 or limited return :dunno:.

That's not a fire sale. That's a salary dump. In a fire sale, everything must go, including your best guys. You don't trade for the sake of saying you made a trade, you trade present production for future production.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
God they are going to make us endure a season with no hope at all. I always look forward to Cubs season.... This season I may have to take off. Blah Cubs people!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If they trade Castro, Cashner, or Jackson, I'll be pissed. IDGAF about the rest.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they trade Castro, Cashner, or Jackson, I'll be pissed. IDGAF about the rest.

It says that they are willing to listen on everyone. That means that they will take offers... and then throw them back at your face if it's for Castro and is not even close to what they want.