Da Story of Da Super Fans

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Really great article over at The Ringer

When Robert Smigel first visited Wrigley Field, he immediately noticed the look. Heavyset fans sporting walrus mustaches and big sunglasses were everywhere. It was 1983, three years after The Blues Brothers hit theaters and a season into Mike Ditka’s tenure as head coach of the Bears. In addition to Old Style, the crowd seemed to be under the influence of both the movie and the man.

“There was just a swagger among these very virile-looking men,” Smigel said. “All sports fans kind of have it. The arrogance of, ‘We kicked your ass!’ No, you didn’t. You’re a fat guy sitting in the third row. You can barely make it to the bathroom with all the beers you’ve drunk. You didn’t do anything.”

Yet there was something about these hirsute galoots that was endearingly hilarious. Maybe it was the unwavering, borderline delusional faith they had in their teams. Or maybe it was their cartoonishly large aviator shades. Whatever it was, Smigel banked the memory of those lovable oafs. Soon after he moved to Chicago to begin his comedy career, the city’s sports franchises started to ascend. In 1983, the White Sox made the postseason for the first time since 1959. In June 1984, the Bulls drafted Michael Jordan. That fall, the Cubs ended a 39-year postseason drought. Then the Ditka-led ’85 Bears tore through the NFL like it was a soggy Italian beef.

Rest of the story at:
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/9...aturday-night-live-george-wendt-robert-smigel

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Daaaaaaaaa....... tube

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Chz Fries Sausage

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I experienced these guys in 85 in Detroit. All wearing Blues Brothers fedoras, and borrowing my binocs to watch the baton girls in the endzone during breaks.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"unwavering, borderline delusional faith"

Sounds about right

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I experienced these guys in 85 in Detroit. All wearing Blues Brothers fedoras, and borrowing my binocs to watch the baton girls in the endzone during breaks.

Wow, 1985. The olden days.

Well, just to help you out... in 2018 those are actually called cheerleaders.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wow, 1985. The olden days.

Well, just to help you out... in 2018 those are actually called cheerleaders.

No, they were not cheerleaders, dufus. They were teenage girls who ran out into the endzones during commercial breaks and twirled their batons.