Danny Trevathan vs Nick Kwiatkowski

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
This is one of the most difficult decisions that Pace will have to make this offseason.

Both of these guys are legitimate starters in need of a new contract. Danny T is coming off of a nasty elbow injury but shouldn't have any lingering effects heading into the 2020 season while Kwit balled out and has shown continual flashes of brilliance over the last two years.

Kwit is younger and probably playing at a slightly higher level but Danny T is the heart and soul and one of the leaders of our defense.

Kwit will likely demand a longer commitment and possibly even more money than Danny while we can probably keep Danny around on a shorter, more flexible deal (if anyone thinks differently, would love to hear reasoning).

You gotta pick one, who are you rolling with into 2020?

Personally, I think we roll with Kwit but honestly, I could go either way.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trevathan.

I think someone will overpay Kwiatkoski

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kwit, is less of he all round MLB as he can't really be a help in pass coverage. You almost would always know who is blitzing in a 3-4 with Smith out there and who would have to be in pass coverage. Sadly, if Trevathan was able to stay on the field, I would go with him and say to hell with age, I'd know he'd still have 2-3 more good years in him and we could keep the depth behind him. Kwit, know what you are getting the the one glaring issue you'd have. This is a passing game now. While you need to stop the run.

If Trevathan signs a one year prove you can play deal, I pick him. If not, got to go with the healthy body.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
KPL. Go cheap and draft. Trevathan is gone for sure.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Pace sticks with and pays Kwit. He has shown commitment to his draft picks. Kwit is younger, no injury history and playing at a high level. Danny is gone, imo. He gave it a hell of a run, but I think Pace goes with the younger player.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Not a darkhorse in my book. I think you get Trevathan and KPL as a backup.

I actually think this is the best combo. If for some reason Trevathan starts to show his age, KPL can step in.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is one of the most difficult decisions that Pace will have to make this offseason.

Both of these guys are legitimate starters in need of a new contract. Danny T is coming off of a nasty elbow injury but shouldn't have any lingering effects heading into the 2020 season while Kwit balled out and has shown continual flashes of brilliance over the last two years.

Kwit is younger and probably playing at a slightly higher level but Danny T is the heart and soul and one of the leaders of our defense.

Kwit will likely demand a longer commitment and possibly even more money than Danny while we can probably keep Danny around on a shorter, more flexible deal (if anyone thinks differently, would love to hear reasoning).

If it's Kwiat then we need KPL back as well, shit i want KPL back no matter which one it is but don't wanna lose Kwiat either. I want all 3.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd go youth over experience and lean toward Kwit. But if he costs more than Trevathan, I'd look to bring Danny back perhaps later in the process if he doesn't get a lot of bites in free agency. Actually a pretty decent ILB FA class and Trevathan's one of the older ones.

KPL is the wildcard here. On one hand, IDK if he could hold up for 16 games, since he's never started multiple games until this year. My initial thought is there's a reason why he hasn't been able to crack a defensive lineup. But then I look at the fact that he was drafted into a Seattle team that had KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Malcolm Smith and Bruce Irvin (who was more LB than DE at that point). Then they started playing a ton of nickel and there were no snaps next to probowl/All pro talent. If the Bears are going to do something creative elsewhere, I'd be fine with KPL next to Roquan.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
You keep Kwit and get rid of Trevathan and Mack and this defense will drastically improve

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
The best thing (besides popping off the screen and making plays) was the effort KPL and Kwiat showed, even down the stretch when there were no playoff chances. 100% effort and excellent play. I’d roll with smith and KPL, since I have a feeling Kwiat will get overpaid once the market opens. I’d love to bring back both though.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Easy one. Nick is younger and his body has not been put through the ringer like Trevathon. Danny doesn't have much left in him at all so if Pace chooses him, it will just be another bad decision by him.

jive

Liked Posts:
It's hard because Trevathan has intangibles. He is a team leader, and there's a difference in the overall D when he's not on the field. In an ideal world, Trevathan, Kwiatkoski, and Pierre-Louis all sign team friendly deals. But, if I have to go 2 out of 3, I'd go with Kwiat and KPL. More youth, and they will combined cost as much as it would to sign Trevathan. But who knows, there might not be much of a market for Trevathan at his current $7 mil cost and he'd be willing to come back for less.