DL Coach Washington Gone; DB Coach Hoke Interviewed By PHI

fade

Liked Posts:
Bears Lose DL Coach Washington to Rivera

Bears lose DL coach Washington to Rivera - Chicago Breaking Sports

The Bears lost their second coach of the offseason Monday when defensive line coach Eric Washington left to coach that position for the Carolina Panthers, where he will work for Ron Rivera.

Washington worked for the Bears the past three seasons and was promoted to defensive line coach last year after working as an assistant under Rod Marinelli in 2009. Previously, he worked for four seasons at Northwestern.
"Eric brings youth and experience to our staff and is a good fit to work with our young defensive
line," Rivera said in a statement released by the Panthers. "He has coached on all levels of football and we are pleased to have him on our staff."

Washington's departure means Lovie Smith will have to hire his sixth line coach in eight seasons. Special teams assistant Chris Tabor left last week to become the special teams coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. He was replaced in less than 24 hours by former Bears assistant Kevin O'Dea.

I have no issue with him leaving, that's fine. Who could we replace him with? I'd imagine people would jump at the opportunity to have Julius Peppers as one of their players.

Eagles Eyeing Bears Assistant Hoke
Eagles interview Bears assistant Hoke - Chicago Breaking Sports

The Chicago Bears lost one defensive assistant Monday when Eric Washington, the line coach, departed for the Carolina Panthers.

Now, they could potentially lose another. The Philadelphia Eagles have interviewed defensive backs coach Jon Hoke for their defensive coordinator job, according to Adam Caplan of Fox Sports.

Hoke, the brother of new MIchigan coach Brady Hoke, has been with the Bears for two seasons. He came to the Bears in 2009 after seven seasons with the Houston Texans. He and Eagles coach Andy Reid both worked at the University of Missouri previously, but not at the same time. Hoke worked as a defensive coordinator at the University of Florida.

The Eagles also are reportedly eyeing Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers assistants. The Eagles are replacing Sean McDermott, who was fired after his second season as the coordinator.

The Bears have had considerable turnover among assistants on the line and in the secondary. Lovie Smith will have to hire his sixth defensive line coach in eight years. Hoke is the fourth defensive backs coach under Smith.

The Eagles are also looking to hire a secondary coach since Dick Jauron departed for the Cleveland Browns.

Washington isn't the only familiar face to go to the Panthers to work for Ron Rivera. Pete Hoener, who coached the Bears' offensive line in 2004, was hired as Carolina's tight ends coach. He spent the last six seasons as the tight ends coach in San Francisco where he was credited with helping develop Pro Bowl performer Vernon Davis.

I, personally, like Hoke. Hopefully we can keep him.

Last edited:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's Marinelli's line anyway.

fade

Liked Posts:
This
Hoke may be leaving if the Bears let him become the Eagles DC.

yeah i just updated the OP to add that too
Hoke would be a bigger blow than Washington, imo (though not that huge of a blow)

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah i just updated the OP to add that too
Hoke would be a bigger blow than Washington, imo (though not that huge of a blow)
Losing Hoke wouldn't be too bad. Gill Byrd would likely get promoted to be the new DB coach IMO