Does it feels like the bears are in the playoffs?

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
There is definitely something in the psyche of the American sports fan that differs from sports fans in the rest of the world - who probably have illogical levels of optimism about their teams, even when facing insurmountable odds. So I don't think this level of pessimism is unique to Bears fans.

What I've never seen before though is the pessimism bleed so much into media coverage, with both the main Bears podcasts I listen to basically writing the game off before a ball is kicked! Maybe that's something that has come with the hot takes of podcasting over beat writing, but I found both Bear Download and Hoge and Jahns quite hard to listen to this week because of the unrelenting level of negativity.

I think the game will be a lot closer on Sunday, and shoot me now, but I think the Bears can cause an upset! In fact I think there is a certain inevitability we end up at Lambeau next weekend. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is to be down on their favourite team, but it does seem a real shame, particularly in these strange times, not to at least be enthusiastic and fully behind the team as it heads into the playoffs
Agreed on how surprising the negativity is across all spectrums. I think the fact the Bears are coming in with injury concerns everywhere and it seems like the Saints are getting healthy all at the right time is not helping. If both teams were equally healthy, I think the narrative might be different. The Bears did take the Saints to overtime with Foles under center so if they can somehow get Mitch to add an element of mobility and a run threat, they might be able to have a better offensive showing but you need the defense to light it up compared to the last half of the season.