Eagles openly tanking on SNF

dennehy

Liked Posts:
it was fair though because really the Redskins also looked like they were trying to lose.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
am i the only who doesn’t care or see anything wrong here? they would be stupid to not do what they did in that situation.

Exactly!

Let's not act like the Bears wouldn't play at least half assed if Green Bay needed a win from the Bears to make the playoffs.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
How is it different than playoff teams protecting starters and losing their last game because of it? Teams have gotten into the playoffs by that sort of dubious win in the past.
I think the difference here is that there is a major difference between announcing on the Monday prior to the game that you're resting your starters, as opposed to making a QB change to a clearly inferior player when it's a one possession game.

If Pederson said last Wednesday that he was planning on pulling Hurts for Sudfield in the 4th quarter things would be much different.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Its match-fixing, which is explicitly against NFL rules and is legally dubious to say the least. It is against the rules for a team to intentionally lose a game. There are ways around this, like the Steelers sitting Rudolph to rest Roethlisberger of the near-decade of the Colts not playing their starters week sixteen or seventeen during the Manning years, but the Eagles took it a step further. The coaches actively interfered with the outcome of the game by intentionally losing as the game was going on.

How did they intentionally lose? Did they kneel on it every play? Did they throw passes out of bounds? How exactly did the coaches intentionally lose?

Some of you people have no lives and wake up looking for things to be mad about. Being mad at pro sports is such a waste of time.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Exactly!

Let's not act like the Bears wouldn't play at least half assed if Green Bay needed a win from the Bears to make the playoffs.
So you'd rather have your favorite NFL team lose, then see another team win?

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
The fact you are going to these types of disingenuous lengths to excuse this exposes that you ultimately agree that the Eagles behavior was at best unsporting and unethical.

What exactly about pro sports, and more and more college sports, is ethical? It's a business. The Eagles were making business decisions that teams make every year.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:

No. What I'm saying is that a lot of meatballs on this forum would applaud the Bears for doing the same if it kept GB out of the playoffs. Some of these idiots care more about GB losing than the results of any Bears game.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Also to be fair Hurts was imploding. That last pass he threw would have won the game for the Iggs if it had been at high school level.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
I watched the whole game- what a crapfest of poor play on both sides. Hurts wasn't playing lights out anyway and when they put Sudfeld in there I just thought the Eagles wanted to see if he was worth keeping next year by playing him with live bullets flying. So what- they are 4-12 for a lot of reasons. Crap players and crap coaches all doing not enough to win all season. If the Giants wanted in then maybe they should have won 1 more game instead of crying about the Eagles motivations. I only wish it would have been the Cowboys that got boned so I could see Jerrah melt down.

Exactly!

Outside of 2 rushing TDs, Hurts wasn't doing anything out there. The Eagles are moving on from Wentz. They wanted to see if they need to draft or sign a backup QB in place of Sudfeld in 2021.

I see no problem.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Losing does not lead to winning in the NFL.

Neither does winning a meaningless game. Imagine winning a meaningless game and moving down in the draft and missing out on Aaron Donald. Wait!

I would rather have more options at 6 than at 9 and see who is available. Doesn't guarantee anything other than more options at that pick.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
No. What I'm saying is that a lot of meatballs on this forum would applaud the Bears for doing the same if it kept GB out of the playoffs. Some of these idiots care more about GB losing than the results of any Bears game.
Ahh. Thank you for clarifying.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Exactly!

Outside of 2 rushing TDs, Hurts wasn't doing anything out there. The Eagles are moving on from Wentz. They wanted to see if they need to draft or sign a backup QB in place of Sudfeld in 2021.

I see no problem.
They aren't moving on from Wentz, he has $59mil in dead money next year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Depends what’s at stake.

If the Bears losing a meaningless game kept the Packers out of the playoffs and improved the Bears’ draft position, absolutely.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I realize it was pretty bad, but is it any worse than a team that is heading into the playoffs and want to rest the starters. The Steelers did just that this weekend, only thing different is they did not even start the game with the starting QB. Philly pulled the QB of the Future in the 3rd Quarter....

Some call it unethical, but reality is they were reducing the risk that Hurts would get hurt in a meaningless game, and getting the best draft position possible. I call it smart.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I realize it was pretty bad, but is it any worse than a team that is heading into the playoffs and want to rest the starters. The Steelers did just that this weekend, only thing different is they did not even start the game with the starting QB. Philly pulled the QB of the Future in the 3rd Quarter....

Some call it unethical, but reality is they were reducing the risk that Hurts would get hurt in a meaningless game, and getting the best draft position possible. I call it smart.
and like Peterson said...rewarding Sudfeld for 4 years of being a good citizen, as they planned to pre-game.

The other thing is Peterson is always that agressive. The biggest surprise of Peterson's career is not that he went for the win when he could tie. It was when he went for the tie when he could win back in week 3 or something, and they tied the game and everyone was like ? Why the fuck didn't you play to win and go for it? I and many others gave him grief...

you know...but I respect him as the most aggressive character in football...was partly what surprised me about it. It was the wrong thing mathmatically and it was a pussy move.

Maybe he doesn't see how the two situations differ, but him going for the tie surprised me far more than him going on a 4th and goal for the win. Thats who he is.