Early Prediction of the Chicago Cubs Roster

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I do know opening day is still ways away and that is why the heading says 'early' predictions. I thought I would do an early look at the 25-man roster before pitchers and catchers report in 8 days (February 10th) and before spring training kicks off in 22 days (February 24th). When spring training concludes and before opening day, I'll have my final predictions of the 25-man roster.

Defense alignment:
Catchers - Welington Castillo, Dioner Navarro
1st baseman - Anthony Rizzo
2nd baseman - Darwin Barney, Brent Lillibridge
3rd baseman - Ian Stewart, Luis Valbuena
Shortstop - Starlin Castro
Outfielders - Alfonso Soriano, Davis DeJesus, Scott Hairston, Nate Schierholtz, Dave Sappelt
Pitchers - Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Edwin Jackson, Scott Feldman, Scott Baker, Carlos Villanueva, Travis Wood, Carlos Marmol, Kyuji Fujiwawa, James Russell, Shawn Camp, Hector Rondon

Line-up vs. right-handed pitching:
1) Davis DeJesus - CF
2) Starlin Castro - SS
3) Anthony Rizzo - 1B
4) Alfonso Soriano - LF
5) Ian Stewart - 3B
6) Welington Castillo - C
7) Nate Schierholtz - RF
8) Darwin Barney - 2B
9) Pitcher - P

Line-up vs. left-handed pitching:
1) Scott Hairston - RF
2) Starlin Castro - SS
3) Anthony Rizzo - 1B
4) Alfonso Soriano - LF
5) Welington Castillo - C
6) Dave Sappelt - CF
7) Luis Valbuena - 3B
8) Darwin Barney - 2B
9) Pitcher - P

Bench:
1) Luis Valbuena/Ian Stewart - whoever is not starting - 3B
2) Scott Hairston/Nate Schierholtz - whoever is not starting - OF
3) Dave Sappelt - 5th OF
4) Dioner Navarro - C
5) Brent Lillibridge - utility

Notes about line-ups:
*I know these aren't line-ups Dale Sveum will use, but ones I would send out on the field.
*For instance, I don't think Castro will bat 2nd rather he'll bat 5th. I just think Castro is the most ideal #2 hitter on the Cubs roster.
*I do know both Stewart and Valbuena are left-handed ... however, I thought Valbuena handled left-handed pitching better last season. So, that's why I have Valbuena in the line-up vs. left-handed pitching.

Starting Rotation:
1) Matt Garza
2) Jeff Samardzija
3) Edwin Jackson
4) Scott Feldman
5) Scott Baker

Notes about rotation:
*If Garza is not throwing the ball too well in spring training because of his arm, Samardzija will get the nod on opening day.
*Theo Epstein said both Garza and Baker should be ready to go when the regular season kicks off. Garza should be a go, but Baker is more of a question mark. If Baker can't go, Villanueva will take his spot in the rotation until he's ready to go.

Relief pitching:
Closer - Carlos Marmol
Set-up - Kyuji Fujiwawa
Set-up - James Russell
Middle relief - Shawn Camp
Middle relief - Hector Rondon
Long relief - Travis Wood
Long relief - Carlos Villanueva

Notes about relief pitching:
*I do expect Rondon to make the 'pen out of spring training. Since he'll be sent back to the Cleveland Indians organization if he doesn't make the team. As he was a Rule V pick.

Possible moves:
*Carlos Marmol being traded (Bruce Levine says Marmol will be traded by opening day.) - If he is traded, Kyuji Fujiwawa will be the new closer and Michael Bowden will take Marmol's spot in the 'pen.
*Matt Garza being traded - I think there's a good chance he'll be traded if he shows to be 100% healthy. If he is dealt, Villanueva will take his spot in the rotation and Bowden will take Villanueva's spot in the 'pen if Marmol is not dealt. But if Marmol is traded as well, Brooks Raley or Chris Rusin will take the final spot in the 'pen.
*Alfonso Soriano being traded - If Soriano is traded, Tony Campana will take his spot oin the roster as the 5th OF. If Campana is still on the 40-man roster at the time of the move. He'll be on the 25-man roster until Brett Jackson is ready to be called-up.
**I do expect one of Marmol, Garza, or Soriano to be traded before opening day at the least.

Side note 1: The Cubs still have to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Scott Hairston. The likely move is designating OF Tony Campana for assignment. I don't think the Cubs really want to DFA Campana and a main reason there not in a rush to add Hairston to the 40-man roster. I think the Cubs are waiting on to see if a trade opens up to clear a spot before DFA'ing anyone.

Side note 2: If Lillibridge does make the team out of spring training, the Cubs will have to clear another spot on the 40-man roster. Since Lillibridge was signed to a minor-league deal and is not on it. That's one main reason I expect a trade to happen.

Other notes:
*Ex-Cub 1B Mark Grace was sentenced to 4 months in jail for a DUI awhile back. He eventually lost his broadcasting job with the Arizona Diamondbacks because of the DUI. If you don't recall, Bob Brenly took Grace's spot this off-season.
*The Cubs minor league system has greatly approved over the years. If I was you, I would keep up with Chicagocubsonline.com, Bleacher Nation and Cubs Den. They all do a great job on everything Cubs!
*The Cubs also signed 24-year old pitcher Yeiper Castillo on December 21st to a minor-league deal, per the Cubs transation page. The signing is more for depth than anything else and expects to open the season in Double A.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/02/02/early-prediction-of-the-chicago-cubs-roster/

Rice, I'm putting this in its own thread as it's an article for the homepage and more people can see it. If I put it in the Cactus thread, it gets lost and not as many people can see it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Bowden WILL be on the Opening Day roster even if Marmol is still here

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Bowden WILL be on the Opening Day roster even if Marmol is still here

For who? Yeah I know he has too because he has no more options. I want him to as he finish the season strong last year and has been throwing the ball well this off-season.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Rondon. Expect a DL move

Yes, that would be the only option I can see. He is recovering from iinjury, but I saw he should be ready for opening day. I don't think it will matter because there's a good chance Marmol will be traded.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Yes, that would be the only option I can see. He is recovering from iinjury, but I saw he should be ready for opening day. I don't think it will matter because there's a good chance Marmol will be traded.

Marmol could very likely be traded. I would bet on it if I were a betting man.

But loopholes exist everywhere, and Rondon will likely fall through one.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rondon was throwing in winterball which is probably why the Cubs went with him. Also MLB is going to look into rule 5 picks ending up on the DL and making sure guys are actually hurt to cut down on the guys that magically end up on the DL after spending 90 days on the 25 man roster. If anyone ends up on the DL I would put my money on Scott Baker starting the year on the DL. Also Vizcaino could be put on the 60 day DL to open up a 40 man roster spot as well.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Rondon was throwing in winterball which is probably why the Cubs went with him. Also MLB is going to look into rule 5 picks ending up on the DL and making sure guys are actually hurt to cut down on the guys that magically end up on the DL after spending 90 days on the 25 man roster. If anyone ends up on the DL I would put my money on Scott Baker starting the year on the DL. Also Vizcaino could be put on the 60 day DL to open up a 40 man roster spot as well.

That's right. That will open a spot for Hairston so Campana won't have to be DFAd.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's right. That will open a spot for Hairston so Campana won't have to be DFAd.

I don't know when the 60 day DL start. I know Waldo has claimed that it occurs in mid February, but my recollection was that the DL didn't start until opening day or right before it, with the ability to backdate it to some point in spring training. If my recollection is right they are going to have to do something because Hairston couldn't participate in spring training until he officially signs.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I have thought, Vizcaino will be placed on the 60-day DL to open a spot on the 40-man roster for Lillibridge.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have thought, Vizcaino will be placed on the 60-day DL to open a spot on the 40-man roster for Lillibridge.

This is also why I think Baker opens the year on the DL as well, 15 day variety though. The Cubs have been super aggresive in the schedule for the older player who had TJS a few weeks later than younger player that had the surgery earlier. I've long been predicting that Vizcaino going to the 60 day DL will open a spot for an NRI to make it this year, most likely a backup IF since I think the OF is set. I think the pitching staff is set unless Takahasi is really impressive and forces his way onto the roster.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me if he did. But Epstein did say Baker should be ready by opening day. So we shall see.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me if he did. But Epstein did say Baker should be ready by opening day. So we shall see.

Everyone is different in terms of TJS, but I still don't get why the 30 year old is expected to be ready in less than 12 months from surgery, but the 22 year old is going to need 14-17 months to return?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone is different in terms of TJS, but I still don't get why the 30 year old is expected to be ready in less than 12 months from surgery, but the 22 year old is going to need 14-17 months to return?

I don't know, but future to no future. I kknow that's not the reason, but to would make sense to take more caution. Kinda like the Derrick Rose sutuation. He's the team, so there not rushing anything. The Knicks guy was injured the same exact day - same injury and he's back allready. As he's not the team just a piece on the Knicks.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know, but future to no future. I kknow that's not the reason, but to would make sense to take more caution. Kinda like the Derrick Rose sutuation. He's the team, so there not rushing anything. The Knicks guy was injured the same exact day - same injury and he's back allready. As he's not the team just a piece on the Knicks.

No that is ultimately the difference. The team and the player have far more to gain with the agressive schedule in Baker's case, and the Cubs have far more to gain by babying Vizcaino and his wicked stuff.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
No that is ultimately the difference. The team and the player have far more to gain with the agressive schedule in Baker's case, and the Cubs have far more to gain by babying Vizcaino and his wicked stuff.

Yes, that's what I would do. It does make sense at the end of the day, though.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would like to see this starting lineup:

1. Darwin Barney- 2B
2. Starlin Castro- SS
3. Anthony Rizzo- 1B
4. Alfonso Soriano- LF
5. Scott Hairston- RF
6. Josh Vitters- 3B
7. Welington Castillo- C
8. Tony Campana- CF
9. Pitcher

Pitching Rotation:

1. Matt Garza
2. Jeff Samardzija
3. Edwin Jackson
4. Travis Wood
5. Jay Jackson

Bench:

Steve Clevenger- C
Dave Sappelt- OF
David DeJesus- OF
Ian Stewart- 3B
Luis Valbuena- Utility

Bullpen:

Scott Baker, Shawn Camp, Carlos Marmol, Kyuji Fujikawa, Rafael Dolis, Esmailin Caridad, James Russell

This is what I think will happen:

1. David DeJesus- CF
2. Starlin Castro- SS
3. Anthony Rizzo- 1B
4. Alfonso Soriano- LF
5. Ian Stewart- 3B
6. Nate Schierholtz- RF
7. Welington Castillo- C
8. Darwin Barney- 2B
9. Pitcher

Pitching rotation:

1. Jeff Samardzija
2. Matt Garza
3. Edwin Jackson
4. Scott Baker
5. Scott Feldman

Bench:

Dioner Navarro- C
Dave Sappelt- OF
Scott Hairston- OF
Luis Valbuena- 3B
Brent Lillibridge- Utility

Bullpen:
Travis Wood, Carlos Marmol, Kyuji Fujikawa, James Russell, Rafael Dolis, Chris Rusin, Michael Bowden

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of curiousity why do you want Jay Jackson to get a rotation spot over the Scotts and Villanueva?