Earning Patience

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Caveat: I have no time to add my thoughts to the thoughts here. Mods merge as you see fit. I'm not a pussy and am fine with it. I just wanted to get this out while I coukld before I do job stuff.

Also, I am going on memory and do not have Game Pass.

Week 1 was a travesty for Trubisky in my mind. It just also happened to be a travesty for the defense and Fangio and Nagy as well.

But he had missed the Robinson TD, didn't read the Cohen TD nor the Burton TD (don't even bother. I watched it in real time. The DB is to the right of Burton by a wide swath and Trubisky has enough zip to not only beat the DB but throw to the left of Burton and low insuring an easy score).

Yesterday against a fairly weak defense (excluding Patrick Peterson and Budda Baker and Chandler Jones. Overall still a weak - average defense made weaker by an offense that doesn't give them a friggin' break) -

anyway against this defense, Trubisky overthrew a Gabriel TD, threw behind Robinson for what would have been a TD, threw over a WR going deep when Peterson was in front of him as if Patrick Peterson was the intended receiver and the WR was trailing as a defender where a back shoulder underthrow for a big gain is begging to be thrown.

He is not going through his reads, in the 3rd or 4th seeing a WR one-on-one missing a TE wide open for a big gain underneath. And even then, he throws it with the DB right in the WR's breadbasket forcing the WR to try a hug-around highlight catch but failing that to bat away the ball when the DB had a btter chance at getting mitts around the ball.

I think there were 3 - 4 times his inaccuracy caused WRs to twist their bodies off the routes they were running and go for the pass break-up.

And that's not counting the potentially game-ending INT possibility Boston had breaking on Robinson as Trubisky was throwing across his body.

This kid did have two good plays. the twist out of a sack and run for 9 yards and I liked the deep completion to Robinson. His only accurate deep ball of the game.

But other than that his play sucked. And he is missing reads and missing big plays that are there if only he was accurate just as much as ever before.

Nagy is earning patience with me due to owning teams in multiple games with TOP, number of first downs and dominating in total number of plays overall. His percentage of drives that are double digit or nearly double digit is impressive.

Trubisky is much harder to be patient due to him playing just as poorly as ever with no signs of growth at all. There is no equivalent stat or context to stats that point to a strength he has to build upon.

Nagy's ability to dominate teams in TOP, first downs and total plays is augmenting Trubisky's struggles with growth and in a 3-game set it doesn't look to be getting better yet at all.

PS - I am not - nor ever have been - comparing him to other young QBs nor saying this projects to the future. I only refer to games played and I only compare him to his own throws he failed to make vs. his own throws he makes. I also don't believe in excuses. It is his first year with Nagy but a lot of this shit is NFL 101. You can't tell me Loggains and his QB coach last year weren't even drilling him on reading, going through reads etc. First, that is highly unlikely. And secondly, there can be no evidence to support that claim. This has nothing to do with "Nagy-ball 501 grad school". It really doesn't.

PPS - Even if you do think "Nagy O 501 grad school level" is messing with him and making him forget his fundamental NFL 101 shit, fine. Just remember, in grad school you still need to pick up your study game and overcome. And he hasn't yet. He is being carried by the "study group" he is working with right now (defense). It works for now, but he is going to have to get better to ace the exam. Because right now, he can't as far as I can see. Ball's in his court.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Great post OP. Everything stated is fair.

I feel like you've basically taken my posts and thoughts over the last 10 days or so, greatly improved the rhetoric, then shit it into a CCS post. Which I cannot be mad about.

Post more often please.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Every other young QB in the league has been making plays. Shit, Allen in Buffalo just had 3 touchdowns. He was the number 2 pick in the draft

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm just waiting for that one game to happen where the light bulb goes on in Trubersky's head and shit just clicks and he goes off. I honestly thought it would have happened by now, but he looked terrible yesterday. Like backup QB terrible.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is kinda how I feel as well. I’m hoping to see some growth from Trubs over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah..>Trubs mistakes are not due to playing in a new offense. He's making basic mistakes. He needs to clean it up because I honestly think Chase is good enough to take this team to the playoffs.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
yeah..>Trubs mistakes are not due to playing in a new offense. He's making basic mistakes. He needs to clean it up because I honestly think Chase is good enough to take this team to the playoffs.

Trubisky has struggled, but Chase has thrown 1 touchdown in 10 seasons. Trubisky could struggle all year, but as long as he isn't hurt and isn't throwing multiple interceptions per game, they aren't going to bench him for Chase.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
I'm just waiting for that one game to happen where the light bulb goes on in Trubersky's head and shit just clicks and he goes off. I honestly thought it would have happened by now, but he looked terrible yesterday. Like backup QB terrible.

Great post OP. To me it seems like he's thinking more this year than last. I feel like we saw more 'flashes' last year than yet this year (obviously that's 12 games compared to 3 at this point..). Point being, I think it is possible he is overwhelmed right now in this offense. I think Nagy may have thrown too much at him right off the bat and now is having a hard time pulling back and simplifying. In the off-season we heard Chase Daniels say this was way more being installed in year 1 of the offense than what ever was being done in KC. This is Nagy's first time (and if we're all lucky, his last) installing a new offense with a new QB. With that all being said, this is still on Trubisky making the reads and throws a QB of his caliber should be making.. and right now he's missing way too many.

I'm with Hawk and can't wait for that game where it all seems to just click. I hope it happens and still believe it can. Regardless what happens next week, I think the early bye week is going to be a good thing for Trubisky, Nagy and this offense as a whole. If this offense DOES get rolling.. to even an average or above average level.. we're going to be a scary team with this defense.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Also want to add that it's dang impressive to me that Nagy has the offense stringing long drives consistently and chewing up TOP despite the level of QB play we're seeing. Nagy is getting a lot of heat for his play calling, but it's working, and seemingly could be incredible if Trubisky makes and hits the throws he's missed to this point.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have no defense of 10 to offer.

I think Nagy's play calling and design are being hamstrung right now by the QB.

We are now up to at least 5 layup TD throws that have been missed. That would make any offense look worse than the coaching and design would dictate.