Ego Ferguson Thread

What grade do you give the Ego Ferguson Pick?

• Total voters

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I watched him play, and didn't see anything that looks like a good 3 Tech. He looked stout and had decent movement but I saw nothing special. I don't hate the pick but I say he looked and performed like a 3rd rounder to me. We will have to wait and see but I think he replaces Paea.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which is why there is no such thing as "a reach." Phil has a board. Ferguson was apparently the highest guy left on the board. He has to assume other GMs have made the same conclusions about Ferguson's grade or risk losing the pick to someone else who isn't going to wait. "A reach" is just some media generated perception nonsense.

Well of course there is still something called a reach. It's just a guy that wasn't a consensus pick in a given round. The projections on Ferguson where as high as 1st round and as low as the 4th or 5th round.

However, reach or not doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. All that matters is whether Emery ends up being right or not.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone's favorite scout Greg Gabriel:

Ego Ferguson – Defensive Tackle – LSU

Ferguson is a fourth-year junior and this was his first year as a starter for LSU. As a redshirt freshman and sophomore, he didn’t start, but got a lot of playing time as a rotational player. He did not play in LSU’s Bowl Game and there are conflicting reasons given, so this has to be checked into. He has good size at about 6030 – 310, and he is a very good athlete. He has speed (est 4.90), change of direction, balance, and body control.

Ferguson lines up inside in their front and has real good snap reaction and initial quickness. He has good instincts and reactions and is consistently around the ball. He can be a force versus the run. He is both strong and powerful at the point of attack and has the quick hands to shed blocks. He gets penetration and can be disruptive. He has very good lateral agility, can clear trash, and make pursuit plays. I like that he competes and plays a physical game. One concern is his pass rush. In three years playing at LSU, he has only one career sack. With the athleticism he has, you have to expect more. On tape, he gets off the ball and shows he can get rid of blocks. He also has some counter moves. While I didn’t see sack production, I did see some pressures. In fairness, he gets close, but he just doesn’t make the play.

It will be interesting to see where Ferguson gets drafted. I would bet that his combine and Pro Day workouts will be very good and that will help push up his stock. When you watch tape, you have to like his run production and that will get him playing time as a rookie. With his athleticism, there is no reason why he doesn’t have more sack production. I can see him drafted as high as the second round but he will probably end up going in the third. He should be a solid NFL player because the talent is there.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Kelcy-Quarles-and-Ego-Ferguson.html

Rise

Liked Posts:
McCullers sucks this guy can actually move.

Ferguson physically over powered SEC OLs last season and got 60 tackles.

CBS had him at 75 and a 2nd/3rd round talent.

Mayock had him at 79.

He was a slight reach with a ton of upside.

I don't believe in reaches. But using the fact places had him going about 30 spots after we selected him does not help the "not a reach" argument lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
At this rate the Bears can also pick Nix in the 3rd round.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
WAIT. STOP. Ferguson's not a safety??????

FUCK YOU EMERY YOU BITCH NERD, MAYBE IF YOU ACTUALLY PLAYED FOOTBALL INSTEAD OF WATCHING FROM THE STANDS YOU'D GET A PICK RIGHT.

BRB SEIZURE....

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Walter Football:

Summary: LSU has been a factory for NFL defensive talent, and Ferguson is their top lineman for the 2014 NFL Draft. Ferguson is a fast disruptor who is also strong at the point of attack. Like many Tiger draft prospects, Ferguson has a rare combination of size, power and speed.

It took a while for Ferguson to get on the field for LSU. In his first two seasons, he had other tackles ahead of him like Michael Brockers, Bennie Logan and Anthony Johnson. Ferguson was a backup in 2012 and totaled 14 tackles. He was a reserve as redshirt freshman as well in 2011, notching 13 tackles.

Ferguson won a starting spot next to Johnson in 2013 with Logan and Brockers in the NFL. Everybody expected Johnson to have a breakout season and be a dominant force for the LSU defense, but it was Ferguson who made the biggest impact up front. The redshirt junior started out hot, but cooled off some down the stretch. He recorded 58 tackles with 3.5 tackles for a loss and a sack. He was impressive against Alabama. Ferguson decided to enter the 2014 NFL Draft, but would have had a shot at the first round in 2015 by returning to school and getting better.

Ferguson uses his great get-off and explosion to cause disruption off the snap. He is strong for his size and holds his ground in run defense. Ferguson has good speed to close and does a nice job of pushing the pocket.

Ferguson is a nice mold of clay for the NFL. He has a skill set, but needs developing. Ferguson needs to build up a repertoire of pass-rushing moves. He needs to avoid playing too high and maintaing good pad level. With his size, strength and speed, Ferguson could end up being a steal in the 2014 NFL Draft if he lands with good coaching.

His best fit would come in a 4-3 defense as a three technique defensive tackle, but he could also play nose tackle. In a 3-4 defense, Ferguson could play end, but that isn't as good of a match for what he does well. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that Ferguson has been graded as high as the second round.

Bull. He sucks. I have never seen him play a down but he sucks. Ima burn this fucker down:bigfinger:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I watched him play, and didn't see anything that looks like a good 3 Tech. He looked stout and had decent movement but I saw nothing special. I don't hate the pick but I say he looked and performed like a 3rd rounder to me. We will have to wait and see but I think he replaces Paea.

He has good quickness and explosion for a guy his size. His problem is consistency which I think is a function of the fact he needs to actually get better conditioning. So I don't think he is a 3T now but if he gets stronger, fixes his diet, and improves his conditioning then he will be able to sustain that quickness and explosion for longer. The good thing is while he is trying to do that, he is still big enough to play at NT.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
On walterfootball he was the 5th best DT only nix was better who was on the board but i guess he has injury concerns or something.
Either of the first round safeties , i dont think its a guarantee they would beat our Jennings or Mundy. For real. The second round safety prospects arent really there definitely no one worth drafting. This guy was the best available DT besides nix. He will be a rotational guy probably already better than Collins. Ravens taking jernigan hurt.

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
Well of course there is still something called a reach. It's just a guy that wasn't a consensus pick in a given round. The projections on Ferguson where as high as 1st round and as low as the 4th or 5th round.

However, reach or not doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. All that matters is whether Emery ends up being right or not.
It means nothing and has no bearing on anything so why say it as if it means anything?

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe a bigger version of Tank Johnson and a step slower with more strength.....

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i'm just bitching and moaning with the rest of the crowd. hey, i don't know anything. i just know from all of the charts and lists and rankings that it was a shocking pick to me. of course Emery knows more than me, of course there is medical information i don't have. look, i'm watching the highlights and getting caught up on him, no i haven't seen much of his play, so WTF do i know. just not who i expected there. i'll read up, i trust that Emery knows what he's doing. i was surprised on the Fuller pick, too. i also know Emery has a lot of analytics that are unique to what he's trying to do. i'm not going to bash our picks, our players, i want them to succeed, and i trust our coaches. i want to see both Fuller and Ego do well. they are positions of need. but come on, you have to admit that MOST here were shocked with this last pick.

BEARS.

MontanaBear

Liked Posts:
The Bears must seriously be planning on playing Fuller at safety.........

Rise

Liked Posts:
He has good quickness and explosion for a guy his size. His problem is consistency which I think is a function of the fact he needs to actually get better conditioning. So I don't think he is a 3T now but if he gets stronger, fixes his diet, and improves his conditioning then he will be able to sustain that quickness and explosion for longer. The good thing is while he is trying to do that, he is still big enough to play at NT.

Exactly what I am saying right here. It's a good pic in this context as long as his fat ass can hold the middle against the run he will be ok. He is a 2nd rounder because he has the potential to be a good 3-tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
WAIT. STOP. Ferguson's not a safety??????

FUCK YOU EMERY YOU BITCH NERD, MAYBE IF YOU ACTUALLY PLAYED FOOTBALL INSTEAD OF WATCHING FROM THE STANDS YOU'D GET A PICK RIGHT.

BRB SEIZURE....

Please dont BRB.