Epstein impressed by fans' stupidity

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
oops I meant "commitment"

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/20174/theo-epstein-impressed-by-fans-committment

Epstein impressed by fans' commitment
By Jesse Rogers | ESPNChicago.com

ST. LOUIS -- Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein isn’t surprised by his team’s drop in attendance this season. In fact, he’s impressed with those who have come out to watch a last-place team.

“You can look at it both ways,” Epstein said before Friday night’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals. “We’ve traded 40 percent of our rotation two years in a row now and 2.6 million showed up to watch us play.”

The Cubs saw their paid attendance drop for the fifth straight season, drawing the lowest numbers since 1998. They're assured of a second consecutive last-place finish under Epstein as they rebuild the organization from top to bottom.

“All we can ask of our fans is to trust us we are working as hard as we can to make it happen,” Epstein said. “I would never spend someone’s money for them. But I will say the experience will be more rewarding if they’re around for the whole journey.”

That’s a sentiment Epstein has expressed before, asking fans to jump on board as the Cubs restock the system with talent.

“It’s a huge asset we have as an organization,” he said of Cubs fans. “I don’t doubt and will never doubt the dedication of our fans.”

Epstein likes to talk of the “health” of the organization and believes it’s better now than a year ago and the year before that. While he can’t say for sure when the team will turn the corner, he’s committed to a plan that will include spending money -- once it’s realized from new television deals and the renovation of Wrigley Field.

“That’s coming in the future, but we’re not exactly sure, yet,” Epstein explained. “The general business plan and the general baseball plan for the organization are more or less synced up.

“Do we have it down to an exact year we’re going to achieve a certain amount of wins or when we’re going to have X amount of additional dollars to spend? No. We’ve had to remain flexible because there are a lot of variables involved.”

What that means is developing the prospects, then finding the holes on the field that need to be filled. By that time money should be available to spend on specific free agents.

At least that’s the plan.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
oops I meant "commitment"

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/20174/theo-epstein-impressed-by-fans-committment

Epstein impressed by fans' commitment
By Jesse Rogers | ESPNChicago.com

ST. LOUIS -- Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein isn’t surprised by his team’s drop in attendance this season. In fact, he’s impressed with those who have come out to watch a last-place team.

“You can look at it both ways,” Epstein said before Friday night’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals. “We’ve traded 40 percent of our rotation two years in a row now and 2.6 million showed up to watch us play.”

The Cubs saw their paid attendance drop for the fifth straight season, drawing the lowest numbers since 1998. They're assured of a second consecutive last-place finish under Epstein as they rebuild the organization from top to bottom.

“All we can ask of our fans is to trust us we are working as hard as we can to make it happen,” Epstein said. “I would never spend someone’s money for them. But I will say the experience will be more rewarding if they’re around for the whole journey.”

That’s a sentiment Epstein has expressed before, asking fans to jump on board as the Cubs restock the system with talent.

“It’s a huge asset we have as an organization,” he said of Cubs fans. “I don’t doubt and will never doubt the dedication of our fans.”

Epstein likes to talk of the “health” of the organization and believes it’s better now than a year ago and the year before that. While he can’t say for sure when the team will turn the corner, he’s committed to a plan that will include spending money -- once it’s realized from new television deals and the renovation of Wrigley Field.

“That’s coming in the future, but we’re not exactly sure, yet,” Epstein explained. “The general business plan and the general baseball plan for the organization are more or less synced up.

“Do we have it down to an exact year we’re going to achieve a certain amount of wins or when we’re going to have X amount of additional dollars to spend? No. We’ve had to remain flexible because there are a lot of variables involved.”

What that means is developing the prospects, then finding the holes on the field that need to be filled. By that time money should be available to spend on specific free agents.

At least that’s the plan.

OK Fisch

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol

I gotta admit though I hate statements like

I suppose it's better than lying but it makes it seem soooo far off.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care if the Cubs are bad or good, I'll still go to games and support them, That includes all their decisions. I may disagree with some, but they are the ones that get paid big money so I'll have faith in them. Yes some moves may be bad, but every GM and POBO will have bad moves. It happens, so you just have to live with it. Call me stupid or whatever, but I'll always be around them and be a fan. They are my beloved Cubs and it'll stay that way.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has Theo made a bad move since coming to the Cubs? Yes, no doubt but I can't stay mad or anything. So far the moves he's made aren't killers and a few years down the road, we prolly won't even remember the move. Like the Ian Stewart trade.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
:cubstroll:

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Has Theo made a bad move since coming to the Cubs? Yes, no doubt but I can't stay mad or anything. So far the moves he's made aren't killers and a few years down the road, we prolly won't even remember the move. Like the Ian Stewart trade.

Theo, is that you?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
“We’ve traded 40 percent of our rotation two years in a row now and 2.6 million showed up to watch us play.”

Ah, he still doesn't understand Wrigley?

Close to 2 million were not there to watch baseball.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
“We’ve traded 40 percent of our rotation two years in a row now and 2.6 million showed up to watch us play.”

garza, dempster, maholm, and feldman combined stats since they left the cubs

matt garza 13 G 4 W 5 L 4.38 ERA 1.36 Whip

ryan dempster 43 G 15 W 12 L 4.73 ERA 1.44 Whip

paul maholm 37 G 14 w 16 L 4.14 ERA 1.34 Whip

scott feldman 15 G 5 W 6 L 4.27 ERA 1.22 Whip

108 Games 38 wins 39 losses 4.41 ERA 1.34 Whip

looks as if he moved them all just in time, to be able to get something in return for them...
i bet the rangers wish they had cj edwards and ramirez still in their system over garza now..

justaChifan

Liked Posts:

looks as if he moved them all just in time, to be able to get something in return for them...
i bet the rangers wish they had cj edwards and ramirez still in their system over garza now..

Change of scenery sometimes doesn't help. Whose "stupidity" is Theo impressed with?
Cub fans or a player that doesn't realize he hit a ball in play and doesn't even run it out? Shadows I know.
What a pitifully appropriate way to end this train-wreck of a season.....

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Edwards and Ramirez are futures. Garza is the now, and the now is the Rangers are in a 1 game playoff to go to the playoffs. The Rangers made the right move like any other team in need of a quality pitcher would have done.

When the Cubs are no longer in the top 5 of the MLB draft and are in the 25-30 pick of the first round, then we can start hanging our hats on the Theo moves. Until then, the Cubs still SUCK!