ESPN Guys on the Bulls and the Playoffs

The Mule

Liked Posts:
So putting a person on a celestial body isn't sexy? ya know like we did in 69'

Here's my thing I'm sure this robot will collect valuable data. However the hype to me seems silly, it is just another robot.

I don't consider the moon landing very sexy, or in general anything related to space exploration to be sexy. And as a young person I liked the idea of the moon landing being a hoax and the whole conspiracy theory element. Overall, I'm not even very interested in space exploration and often don't see the value at all, but lately I've been trying to be less judgemental. I used to think it was all a waste of money that could be better spent on actual human beings living on earth, but now that I'm old I realize that there is something to be said for all the technology that's been developed. Like my computer that I make love to daily.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reminder that the budget for NASA is about $20 billion and the current London Olympics cost $15 billion. And this latest Mars rover cost about 20% of what the London Olympics. Try to get your Moon and Mars bases with a shoestring budget. What NASA has done with their meager budget is impressive. Why not cut some of that inflated defense budget and invest it in NASA, but since there are no brown people to bomb on the Moon or Mars it's not a priority.

And if you think it's not "sexy" to find out if Mars has ever been hospitable to life in the distant past, then I don't know what to say. If it shows that it was hospitable to life at some point, better yet if it finds traces of microbial life then the odds that there is life out there sky rockets insanely. The odds that life has popped up in two places at least in the same system has huge implications.

Science doesn't cater to the whims of the ill-informed masses, it's slow paced and sometimes we need to crawl before we can walk, let alone run. Sending humans on to Mars is a huge hurdle, it's not a couple of days journey as it's with the moon, it would take months and brings a slew of problems that need to be sorted out. I hope I will be around when we finally get some people on the Red Planet, but considering how the priorities are screwed I don't feel optimistic. More money and effort has been used to figure out on how to destroy rather then to create and improve life on Earth.

It's too bad that it all has to be about jetpacks and flying cars before the masses get excited by science, instead of the sheer curiosity and journey it takes to figure out things, no matter how small it seems.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I don't consider the moon landing very sexy, or in general anything related to space exploration to be sexy. And as a young person I liked the idea of the moon landing being a hoax and the whole conspiracy theory element. Overall, I'm not even very interested in space exploration and often don't see the value at all, but lately I've been trying to be less judgemental. I used to think it was all a waste of money that could be better spent on actual human beings living on earth, but now that I'm old I realize that there is something to be said for all the technology that's been developed. Like my computer that I make love to daily.

We put a human being on a celestial body outside of our planet. How isn't that sexy? We left Earth and went somewhere else. That is freaking awesome. The FIRST time we put a robot on Mars was sexy and cool because now we put something that could move on a differently planet. THAT is sexy. Doing it again....not so sexy.

I understand the lack of interest in space exploration. But being a sci-fi nerd I have my head in the clouds when it comes to this stuff. I want to be alive when we put a man on Mars or colonize the moon. I want to us push the boundary, not just play it extremely safe.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Reminder that the budget for NASA is about $20 billion and the current London Olympics cost $15 billion. And this latest Mars rover cost about 20% of what the London Olympics. Try to get your Moon and Mars bases with a shoestring budget. What NASA has done with their meager budget is impressive. Why not cut some of that inflated defense budget and invest it in NASA, but since there are no brown people to bomb on the Moon or Mars it's not a priority.

And if you think it's not "sexy" to find out if Mars has ever been hospitable to life in the distant past, then I don't know what to say. If it shows that it was hospitable to life at some point, better yet if it finds traces of microbial life then the odds that there is life out there sky rockets insanely. The odds that life has popped up in two places at least in the same system has huge implications.

Science doesn't cater to the whims of the ill-informed masses, it's slow paced and sometimes we need to crawl before we can walk, let alone run. Sending humans on to Mars is a huge hurdle, it's not a couple of days journey as it's with the moon, it would take months.

It's too bad that it all has to be about jetpacks and flying cars before the masses get excited by science, instead of the sheer curiosity and journey it takes to figure out things, no matter how small it seems.

I'm okay with that

The Mule

Liked Posts:
Can we all just stop using the word sexy?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<Represses huge urge to post a Right Said Fred video>

Still, I can understand the space program budget as $15G. I don't understand the Olympics costing $20G. Sounds like they could have taken some of that 20G and build a better battery pack for the rover to make it run longer.

supraman

Liked Posts:
And here I was thinking they could scrap the disastrous F-22 and F-35 projects and build a base on Mars.

Someone (I think Mule) said something about underwater exploration. I'm down with an underwater colony too

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
what is with this black and white bullshit...

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can they take TCD back to his home planet the next time they send an SUV there?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
<Represses huge urge to post a Right Said Fred video>

Still, I can understand the space program budget as $15G. I don't understand the Olympics costing $20G. Sounds like they could have taken some of that 20G and build a better battery pack for the rover to make it run longer.

It runs on nuclear energy and could probably run way past the two-year mission duration.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It runs on nuclear energy and could probably run way past the two-year mission duration.

[font=arial, sans-serif]"Because the United States has access to plutonium-238, we are the only country that has ever sent a science mission beyond Mars," says Len Dudzinski, the program executive for radioisotope power systems at NASA headquarters[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Dudzinski says NASA has used these plutonium-powered systems for famous missions like the Voyager probes. "In fact, we've got Voyager now with over 30 years of successful operation," he says. "It is the farthest man-made object from Earth that NASA has ever sent out."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Besides Voyager, plutonium fuels the Cassini probe, which is orbiting Saturn, as well as the New Horizons mission, which is headed to Pluto.[/font]

Rover power

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Considering, space exploration is the only way the human race can continue its existence beyond the expiration of the sun, or potential asteroid collisions, or just something in general fucking up with the earth. It kind of is helping humans.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's disgusting to me how little coverage I saw of this.

BigPete

Liked Posts:

Um, the majority of people don't really give a shit and are kind of pissed that we are spending BILLIONS of dollars to send a robot to a dead planet. Fix our planet and its problems first.

NASA is a big financial drain...and this is coming from a guy who loves velcro and tang.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
Um, the majority of people don't really give a shit and are kind of pissed that we are spending BILLIONS of dollars to send a robot to a dead planet. Fix our planet and its problems first.

NASA is a big financial drain...and this is coming from a guy who loves velcro and tang.
Yes, at less 0.5% of the federal budget it's huge financial drain.

supraman

Liked Posts:

We must watch different channels and read different news sites. I'm sick of hearing about a stupid robot on Mars.

supraman

Liked Posts:
NASA will be a waste until we build a Imperial class Star Destroyer