ESPN's Stuart Scott dead at 49

weaponx24

DA BEARS!
Liked Posts:
Just heard about Stuart Scott. He was definitely one of the anchors on Sportscenter I enjoyed watching and seeing what kind of phrase he would come up with. RIP!

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will forever remember SC saying 'Jumanji" during home run clips back in grade school. He made Sportscenter fun to watch and paved the way for other anchors to mimic.

StuartScottRNC_vice_670.jpg

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
He was the only memorable ESPN sportscaster, or at least the only one I could ever individually name. RIP.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I always thought he was a good sportscaster. He just did what he needed to do on air and did a good job, not biased either.

RIP

JPPT1974

May Day and Spring Fever!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Cincinnati Reds
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Oklahoma City Thunder
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. Washington Capitals
  1. Howard Bison
RIP Stuart as cancer is so ugly!:(

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Call me the dick, but the ESPN thing this morning was if the guy was Ghandi or something.

He was a sportscaster. Yes, a good one, but a sportscaster. They are all relatively interchangeable. Let's be honest, during his hey day, he was actually more of a punchline than a valued 'sports journalist'. He was more about the flashiness and the silly phrases. Hell, his signature line became a derogatory term that was used to describe a ridiculous sports network 'The Booyahs'.

Seemed like a decent guy and yes, cancer sucks. Everyone reading this has a loved one who has or was affected by cancer. He fought it. Good for him. 3 of my grandparents died of cancer. My mother died of cancer at age 54 on my first wedding anniversary (after a 4 year battle). They all fought it. My wife's best friend is a breast cancer surviver. She fought it. What do we expect cancer sufferers to do? NOT fight it?

I have 3 kids. If I got cancer tomorrow, I'd fight it. Just as I'd expect anyone else to.

Maybe I'm just a cynical dick, but I don't know what this mawkish obsession with people who 'fight cancer'. That's kinda what you expect. Are there people who die of cancer and others say 'well, that guy was a pussy. He didn't fight cancer. He didn't take his medicine and showed up late and high to his chemo sessions'.

Now, I can absolutely appreciate having a positive attitude when fighting. What we saw of Stuart Scott where is filmed public appearances and what he tweeted. Sort of a 'put on the show' thing. My mother did that. Bitched and moaned and cried and wanted to give up when we talked one on one or when she was alone, but put on the happy face when around family, my brother's kids, etc.

So, yes, I feel sorry for his family and his children and his friends and those around him. And sorry he had to go through it.

I just don't get the deification we do of certain people in this culture.

malcore

Glad you got that off your chest. Must have been like having cancer to carry that annoyance around.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
some ppl. just commit suicide when the going gets tough.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The overwhelming majority don't.

tell that to ppl. who choose 'Euthanasia .
-------
Given your "Ghandi" comments above, perhaps you're in that minority of ppl., who didn't care for him...... we get it, however, others don't feel the way you do. BTW.... Booyah is term no doubt from his childhood, it's similar to when John Madden would say BOOM ! are some other type action. But becuse you probably wouldn't know cuz of your limited exposure to a variety of ppl.

in any case, IMO.....

You show questionable character coming into this thread about a guy who passed away.....and trying to turn it into some kinda' " FatBabiesHaveNoPride focus".

The thread is about Stuart Scott passing not you. Next time, show some class.
-----
Anyway here's the deal. Scott was public celebrity. and well liked by a lotta' ppl. ( me included). When PPL. are well-liked, in the public eye and suddenly die. PPL. in the media are gonna be sad and speak kindly of them. Sorry about what happened in your family, but you and your family are not in the media and apparently, nobody knows you.

So, I applaud Scott for having the balls to be different as a sportscaster and not some stiff, cardboard, tv mannequin, sitting behind a desk. RIP.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Stuart Scott's Moving ESPYS Speech

[video=youtube;K9cSX5XPY70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K9cSX5XPY70[/video]