Ex-Bears RB Benson seeking new Bengals deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
The Dayton Daily News reports: Representatives of running back Cedric Benson have approached Bengals management regarding a contract extension. Benson is in the final year of a two-year deal, making him a free agent at the end of the 2010 season.

"People were watching me last year to see what I was going to do," said Benson, who rushed for a team-high 1,251 yards and six TDs last season. "I think I proved a lot of people wrong. I kind of got to shove it in some people's face again. It was a season of relief for me and this season is going to be much more important. I still have something to prove because expectations are high."

Get the full story: DaytonDailyNews.com

More...

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
There may not be a former Bear I hate more than Benson.

The guy was a spoiled brat when he got here. He thought everything should just be given to him because he was the #4 overall pick. He was the reason we let Thomas Jones go, and then he turned into crap. Then, when another team gave him a second chance, he turned around and trashed the Bears organization when Benson was given everything on a silver platter and threw it all away.

I hope he fumbles 25 times next year and never gets this extension.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Bengals have one of the best run-blocking lines in the NFL. Benson would have 5 yards before he was touched on several carries.

That being said, if you compare his numbers to Forte's last season (who had what was considered a bad year), Benson looks average.

Benson:
Rushes:301
Rushing Yards: 1251
Rushing Avg.: 4.2
Receptions: 17
Receiving Yards: 111
Receiving Avg.: 6.5
Total Yards: 1362
TDs: 6

Forte:
Rushes:258
Rushing Yards: 929
Rushing Avg.: 3.6
Receptions: 57
Receiving Yards: 471
Receiving Avg.: 8.3
Total Yards: 1400
TDs: 4

Now, in an attempt to avoid a "role of the RB" dispute, I'm not saying either player is superior to the other. But, especially in a Mike Martz offense, I'll take the multi-dimensional back.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Seeing how well Benson ran for the Bengals made me want to vomit nearly every time he got a hand off. He never ran with any sort of passion while playing for the Bears. He was merely collecting his pay check. Fuck him.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually got a chance to go over and sit in meetings with the Bengals and go onto the field during OTA practices this year, actually about a month or so ago. A guy I coach with met Paul Alexander (bengals o line coach) at a coaching clinic and Alexander gave him his e-mail and he contacted him and we got all set up to come visit. Anyway, Alexander seems to think that this will be the year that really determines whether Benson gets that new deal. They say that he is the best running back to be able to read the zone blocking scheme that the Bengals use but the organization really feels Bernard Scott is going to overtake Benson eventually as the starter.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
X-Factor, yes Forte had more all-purpose yards but make no mistake about it, Benson was the better back last season. Yes their OL is better than ours but Benson still ran with purpose for the first time in his NFL career. I remember him hitting the corners so quick against us last season and running through people...Very frustrating. He did it to good defenses too.

Now if you were to ask me who i would rather have on the Bears right now, i will say Forte based on the fact that he's a great receiver and will be doing a lot of his work catching balls in Martz offense. With this OL and offense, i wouldnt want Benson as my primary RB.

Its not that Benson played so well in Cincy that pisses me off, its the fact that he still talked trash about our team and how the Bears never gave him a chance. That is complete BS. When you get multiple DUIs by land and sea(Air coming soon) and you play like complete shit, youre going to get released. No our OL wasnt good with him here but they werent as bad as he played. I liked this little quote from 08
"He is having a great year, but when I see the highlights, I see holes," Benson told NFL.com's Thomas George. "I see them using him in the slot, something they didn't do with me. If I was there right now with the holes I see, I probably would have 1,800 yards. I definitely would have 1,500. I congratulate him on all of his success. He is taking advantage."

Source: Cedric Benson Thinks He's Better Than Matt Forte | NBC Chicago
They dont use you in the slot because youre not very good at catching, you dumb mother fkr. And holes? There were few holes in 08. If not for Fortes ability to make something out of nothing, he would have been hit behind the LOS every down.

With all of that being said, i wouldnt mind Buston on my fantasy team.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
X-Factor, yes Forte had more all-purpose yards but make no mistake about it, Benson was the better back last season. Yes their OL is better than ours but Benson still ran with purpose for the first time in his NFL career. I remember him hitting the corners so quick against us last season and running through people...Very frustrating. He did it to good defenses too.

Now if you were to ask me who i would rather have on the Bears right now, i will say Forte based on the fact that he's a great receiver and will be doing a lot of his work catching balls in Martz offense. With this OL and offense, i wouldnt want Benson as my primary RB.

Its not that Benson played so well in Cincy that pisses me off, its the fact that he still talked trash about our team and how the Bears never gave him a chance. That is complete BS. When you get multiple DUIs by land and sea(Air coming soon) and you play like complete shit, youre going to get released. No our OL wasnt good with him here but they werent as bad as he played. I liked this little quote from 08 They dont use you in the slot because youre not very good at catching, you dumb mother fkr. And holes? There were few holes in 08. If not for Fortes ability to make something out of nothing, he would have been hit behind the LOS every down.

That about sums up my feelings.

Saluki

Liked Posts:

Its not that Benson played so well in Cincy that pisses me off, its the fact that he still talked trash about our team and how the Bears never gave him a chance. That is complete BS. When you get multiple DUIs by land and sea(Air coming soon) and you play like complete shit, youre going to get released. No our OL wasnt good with him here but they werent as bad as he played. I liked this little quote from 08 They dont use you in the slot because youre not very good at catching, you dumb mother fkr. And holes? There were few holes in 08. If not for Fortes ability to make something out of nothing, he would have been hit behind the LOS every down.

Actually the Bengals give me hope that our offensive line can be good enough this year. Because last season the Bengals offensive line was a patchwork combination of the same garbage line they had the year before, and a few rag tag add ons due to injuries. If they found a way to turn that pile of crap into a serviceable oline maybe Tice can do the same with ours.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah i watched the Hard Knocks series and i thought their OL would be a mess. But i was just talking about our OL of 08 which was not good. I think our tackles will do well and Garza will be Garza but LG-C has me doubting.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The continuity could help. Keeping similar players together on the OL can make a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.