CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
For me at least. Worked a high school scrimmage game - 90 minutes of work, $60 cash.

Got four games today. When you count high school, pee-wee, Jr. High, and adult flag football games, I'll probably ref around 125 games this Fall.

Normally nets me around an extra $4,000. Most of it cash, none of it taxed.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
they pay you that much for being the waterboy:)

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
I'll have to let you know my stringing schedule this year... not sure I'm doing a ton of games this time around though.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Pretty cool, do you enjoy reffing? How much different is it from actually just watching the games? Can you still enjoy them without having to pay such attention to penalties, etc.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Pretty cool, do you enjoy reffing? How much different is it from actually just watching the games? Can you still enjoy them without having to pay such attention to penalties, etc.
When I originally got into it, it was just to make some extra cash because I was student teaching. Six years later, and I love it.

I work on a full-time varsity crew, and actually have two or three big games on the schedule this year. I'm a little unhappy with some of the youth leagues I'm working in, but by and large I enjoy doing it even though it can, at times, take up my whole weekend.

As far as enjoying, I'm kind of half and half on it. If I'm watching a high school game - I'm looking at the officials. Watching their mechanics, what they call and what the don't call, and just trying to pick up pointers.

My ultimate goal is to work college, so I try my best to differentiate the high school rules from those rules, and also watching their mechanics. In that case though, it is game by game. From August to beginning of November I don't actually see a lot of college games, so when I can I pick games I want to watch to be entertained by (like say, Texas vs. Ohio State) I watch that game. If it is some bullshit game like Illinois vs. Indiana, I watch the refs.

Again, I'm more than open to the idea of an 'Ask the Ref' thread. I'll say my knowledge of the rules/enforcements isn't the best, but I can say I at least understand why calls are being made.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Oooo will Prope's thread be like that section at the back of the old "SI For Kids" issues called "You Make the Call" or whatever? Hmmmm.........

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
u gonna ref Glenbard West this year?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Oooo will Prope's thread be like that section at the back of the old "SI For Kids" issues called "You Make the Call" or whatever? Hmmmm.........
With an attitude like that, I won't pm you about making a call into your 'sports radio show' talking about CFB and new rule changes.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
With an attitude like that, I won't pm you about making a call into your 'sports radio show' talking about CFB and new rule changes.

You know I have nothing but love for you, Prope. C'mon.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
So it IS down for you?

youknow_sg.gif

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Season ended for me this past Friday night. I sustained an injury two weeks ago, played through the pain on Friday, but it was unbearable yesterday when I was waking up. Now it is time to rest.

Ended with a great game.

Most impressive team I saw all year: Lincoln-Way East. Nothing fancy, just straight forward knock you in the mouth play.