For those that like Harbaugh

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I really do think he's the best Michigan can do these days. Michigan is all history and legacy now. They are like Nebraska, Texas Longhorns, Southern Cal except even worse (well Nebraska is a disaster). Nobody wants these jobs because the expectations far exceed the reality of what these programs can accomplish. It would take someone like another Tom Osborne to bring them back to the glory they want and the odds of finding that guy are slim-to-none. Realistically Harbaugh has a better chance of turning it around than a new guy does.

As for Harbaugh, its probably the best job he can get too. I dont think there's any interest in him from the NFL anymore, despite occasional reports that teams think about it.

All in all its a sad marriage between two dying stars each making a long-shot bet that one turns the other around.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
idk wtf Michigan is doing
If you think of Michigan as a program more on the level of Purdue or Minnesota it makes a lot more sense. They are not peers with college footballs elite, or even the two or three tiers below that elite. They haven't been that way for decades now. Would you express the same bewilderment if Kansas State or UCLA gave Harbaugh a chance? If not, then dont be surprised that this is how far Michigan's standards have fallen. They are arguably not even a top five program in their own conference anymore now that Indiana is obviously in some form of ascension.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If you think of Michigan as a program more on the level of Purdue or Minnesota it makes a lot more sense. They are not peers with college footballs elite, or even the two or three tiers below that elite. They haven't been that way for decades now. Would you express the same bewilderment if Kansas State or UCLA gave Harbaugh a chance? If not, then dont be surprised that this is how far Michigan's standards have fallen. They are arguably not even a top five program in their own conference anymore now that Indiana is obviously in some form of ascension.

Its pathetic.

He's had, on average, a top 10 recruiting class in college football and has had zero to show for it.

Meanwhile, you got the Cincinnati bearcats not even having a top 60 recruiting class and outperforming them.

Pathetic when you can't outplay multiple teams from ohio.

lincster27

Liked Posts:
I really do think he's the best Michigan can do these days. Michigan is all history and legacy now. They are like Nebraska, Texas Longhorns, Southern Cal except even worse (well Nebraska is a disaster). Nobody wants these jobs because the expectations far exceed the reality of what these programs can accomplish. It would take someone like another Tom Osborne to bring them back to the glory they want and the odds of finding that guy are slim-to-none. Realistically Harbaugh has a better chance of turning it around than a new guy does.

As for Harbaugh, its probably the best job he can get too. I dont think there's any interest in him from the NFL anymore, despite occasional reports that teams think about it.

All in all its a sad marriage between two dying stars each making a long-shot bet that one turns the other around.

I lived in Nebraska when a brand new AD fired Frank Solich for going 9-3 and winning a bowl game. He was in for a surprise when it turned out that name coaches from big programs didn't want the job. I can remember that he brought in whoever the UCLA coach was at the time, and Houston Nutt from Arkansas. There was one other big name that I've forgotten, but they ended up hiring Bill Callahan, who had just been fired from the Oakland Raiders. Callahan was a horrific coach, and his tenure set the program on the path it's followed ever since.

I think the final nail in Nebraska's coffin came when they joined the B1G. They were a much better fit in the Big 12, although the exposure that comes with the B1G probably made sense at the time. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland are the most mystifying additions to the B1G for me. I understand that they needed a couple of teams out east for Penn State to play, but Nebraska? I still scratch my head over that one.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
8504aa3094048e670a79ac53bfe3d9c7.gif

Die in Big Ten Hell, Jim!

@Gustavus Adolphus

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its pathetic.

He's had, on average, a top 10 recruiting class in college football and has had zero to show for it.

Meanwhile, you got the Cincinnati bearcats not even having a top 60 recruiting class and outperforming them.

Pathetic when you can't outplay multiple teams from ohio.
Still, you've got a better change of turning it around with the guy who can at least get the big recruiting classes (even if they all leave for the NFL or transfers ASAP) than the guy who cant. Michigan is not going to attract a bigger name than Harbaugh, and Harbaugh is not going to get a better job than Michigan (unless he wants to be an NFL coordinator).

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I lived in Nebraska when a brand new AD fired Frank Solich for going 9-3 and winning a bowl game. He was in for a surprise when it turned out that name coaches from big programs didn't want the job. I can remember that he brought in whoever the UCLA coach was at the time, and Houston Nutt from Arkansas. There was one other big name that I've forgotten, but they ended up hiring Bill Callahan, who had just been fired from the Oakland Raiders. Callahan was a horrific coach, and his tenure set the program on the path it's followed ever since.

I think the final nail in Nebraska's coffin came when they joined the B1G. They were a much better fit in the Big 12, although the exposure that comes with the B1G probably made sense at the time. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland are the most mystifying additions to the B1G for me. I understand that they needed a couple of teams out east for Penn State to play, but Nebraska? I still scratch my head over that one.
Sometimes the scramble to fix problems causes more problems than it solves. I dont know what Nebraska can do, though I do agree a return to the Big 12 would at least be a step in the right direction.