Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Sure, Matt Forte pauses for a moment to reflect what could have been.

But the Bears running back is happy with what was in a productive regular season that he finished Sunday at Lambeau Field. His 91 yards rushing on 15 carries gave him 1,069 for the season, making him the third Bears back to go over 1,000 yards in two seasons since Neal Anderson.

Just imagine where Forte could have finished had the Bears made a concerted effort to run the ball before re-thinking their play calling during the off week at the end of October.

"Yeah, there is no telling," Forte said. "If we would have run it a little earlier, may have 1,500 or 1,600 yards. You never know. You can't think about what-ifs right now."

Forte had to wait to become a significant factor on offense. His patience paid off. He finished at 4.5 yards per carry, the best average by the team's leading rusher in a season since Anderson in 1989. He added eight receptions for 60 yards Sunday to give him 547 yards on 51 receptions. He become the only back other than Walter Payton in franchise history to amass 1,000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving in the same season.

Just as Forte improved dramatically in yards per carry in Mike Martz's offense — his previous best was 3.9 his rookie year — he also improved as a receiver. His average of 10.7 yards per reception is 2.8 yards better than his career average coming in to this season.

The better numbers back up what you've seen — Forte has been more explosive getting into the open field. Sure, 1,000 yards isn't a true benchmark for running backs in a 16-game schedule, but considering he shared the load with Chester Taylor and he had more than 14 carries in just two of the first eight games, it's a worthy accomplishment.

"You always look forward as a running back to getting over 1,000 yards but when you can add 500 receiving and be mentioned among a name like Walter Payton, that's different," Forte said. "I've been blessed to be healthy this whole year. I just thank God for giving me the opportunity. The offensive line did a great job once we figured out the parts and hopefully we keep it going."

This year, the Bears added murals of Payton in the Walter Payton Center at Halas Hall, the team's indoor facility. His career statistics were also added to the walls. It's added some personality to the dome while also serving as a history lesson for players, especially running backs.

"You get to see what that guy looked like as a running back and they've got his stats in there and everything so it's pretty cool," Forte said. "It's amazing when you see the statistics. He was the definition of a workhorse running back."
Matt Forte: Matt Forte joins legend Walter Payton as only Chicago Bears to run for 1,000 yards, go for 500 receiving yards in one season - chicagotribune.com

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked Forte the minute I seen the guy. Then Kia came out with the Forte and I had to laugh. If we stay committed to He run, and our OL does their job, Forte will be hitting high numbers.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If we stay committed to He run, and our OL does their job, Forte will be hitting high numbers.

knock on wood

Gimme top tier blocking for gods sake! I'm sick of the blue balls from knowing how good the rest of the core can be.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
forte is decent

thedude33

Liked Posts:
He should be well rested for the playoffs considering Martz hardly used him against the Packers.

Pre

Liked Posts:
I've seen a lot of fans criticize him, and I really don't understand why. He's a great player, he just has a bad team around him. With a good line he can be a consistent 1,000 yard rusher.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Being the only Bears running back in history to do something only Walter Payton had done before is pretty impressive.

Imagine what he could have done behind a better Offensive line and on a team that was committed to the run for all 16 games.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
knock on wood Gimme top tier blocking for gods sake! I'm sick of the blue balls from knowing how good the rest of the core can be.
With the way the OL performed this season, we should see an upgrade this off season... Well ok, with Angelos incompetence as GM... we Hope to see an upgrade lol

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I've seen a lot of fans criticize him, and I really don't understand why. He's a great player, he just has a bad team around him. With a good line he can be a consistent 1,000 yard rusher.

He is a great football player and back but he is criticized by fans because he isn't a great actual runner. He had the great games down the stretch of breaking some more tackles and hitting the defenders but that wasn't always the case.

He just doesn't hit holes strong well, run up the middle well, or break open field tackles well enough.

IronMike

Liked Posts:
He's good. I'll keep wearing my Payton jersey though.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's good. I'll keep wearing my Payton jersey though.

I wonder if thats what many said before...

"Payton? Yeah, but Ill keep wearing my Gale Sayers Jersey.."

IronMike

Liked Posts:
I wonder if thats what many said before...

"Payton? Yeah, but Ill keep wearing my Gale Sayers Jersey.."

Haha, I have one of those too. My Payton jersey is so worn that every time I go to a game everybody asks if it's authentic. I've had it for 15 years.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haha, I have one of those too. My Payton jersey is so worn that every time I go to a game everybody asks if it's authentic. I've had it for 15 years.
lol. Havent gotten one yet. Wouldnt know what I would get to be honest. Tho if anything, I'd get a personal one. Closest thing to being on that field for me.

Pre

Liked Posts:
He is a great football player and back but he is criticized by fans because he isn't a great actual runner. He had the great games down the stretch of breaking some more tackles and hitting the defenders but that wasn't always the case.

He just doesn't hit holes strong well, run up the middle well, or break open field tackles well enough.

He's not a power back, and it's not fair to expect him to be a guy who can cudgel his way through the middle of the pile, especially when his offensive line can't block anyone. He's a shifty, elusive back who excels as an outside runner and third-down receiver. He's a fine back, he just needs to be paired up with a big, powerful short-yardage runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.