Frank Thomas And The All-Time Greatest RH Hitters

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Jayson Starks posts this:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9568471/miguel-cabrera-truly-magical-hitter

I agree that Miggy is one of the greatest RH hitters ever. My beef is not having Frank Thomas on the list at all.

When healthy playing for the White Sox the phrase greatest Right Handed hitter ever was tossed by plenty non-chicagoans upon him.

Is it just me that thinks this is odd?

Check out Miggy's numbers:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabremi01.shtml

Frank Thomas numbers 1990-2000
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomafr04.shtml#1990-2000-sum:batting_standard

Miggy may very well be a better hitter when it is all said and done, but am I crazy to say Miggy isn't ahead of Frank at this point?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Frank Thomas was a phenomenal talent and certainly a Hall of Famer, but I think Cabrera is the better hitter. His numbers through 10 years are better than Thomas's and just thinking about what his numbers could look like in another five to seven years is just scary.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frank Thomas and the All-Time Greatest RH Hitters

Frank Thomas was a phenomenal talent and certainly a Hall of Famer, but I think Cabrera is the better hitter. His numbers through 10 years are better than Thomas's and just thinking about what his numbers could look like in another five to seven years is just scary.

there is no debating that at all. imo im still skeptical of peds with miggy.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
there is no debating that at all. imo im still skeptical of peds with miggy.

I think it's an unfortunate side-effect of the baseball world we live in, unfortunately. I'm of the mindset now that you're guilty until proven innocent -- AKA, going to your grave without ever having a positive test. It's a shame that it's such a distraction in the sport now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Actually Franks are better. Check the link thru same time period. Franks even had the better single season year too

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Actually Franks are better. Check the link thru same time period. Franks even had the better single season year too

Brett.....

Through 11 years (this season is his 11th, so technically his numbers are only going to get better), Cabrera has more hits, doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs and had the exact same batting average. Cabrera also won two batting titles versus Thomas' one and also has an MVP and Triple Crown. Thomas had one more MVP and a superior OBP and slugging percentage.

Like I said -- they're both phenomenal talents. Frank Thomas is one of my favorite players, ditto with Cabrera. You can't go wrong with either guy, it's like picking between a Porsche and a Ferrari.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree but Frank at this point is better. You stated why with ob slg ops ops+ better single season etc

I also think miggy will not fall off as frank did so early though injury has to play into it

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) miggys career is better

2) I think miggy will break down sooner than some think

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1) miggys career is better

2) I think miggy will break down sooner than some think

It's gonna' be interesting to see how the Tigers handle Cabrera as he ages. Prince has first base locked down, so it would only make sense that Cabrera would have to shift to DH. Maybe since he's a righty and Prince is a lefty, they could alternate DH and first. I'm sure the Tigers will do whatever they have to do in order to keep both bats in the lineup.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's gonna' be interesting to see how the Tigers handle Cabrera as he ages. Prince has first base locked down, so it would only make sense that Cabrera would have to shift to DH. Maybe since he's a righty and Prince is a lefty, they could alternate DH and first. I'm sure the Tigers will do whatever they have to do in order to keep both bats in the lineup.

If Miggy signs long term with the tigers there is a team that if they don't win the WS soon.....will have some bad money on the books. players age fast as fuck.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Miggy still on the book thru 2014 season. I think he takes a tiger 5-7 year deal taking him up to 40.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Fielder should be the DH in Detroit before Cabrera. And I think Cabrera, and Fielder, are high risk to break down early.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Miggy still on the book thru 2014 season. I think he takes a tiger 5-7 year deal taking him up to 40.

I hope he gets $25M a year.

That's soooo much money locked into so few players. And once they get bad, no one in Detroit will give a shit about them (bandwagon city, USA), and they'll be just like the Phillies with big contracts and small wins and revenue.