Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

AussieBear

FORTE no FORTE...

Must believe in the langford, jim carrey and that one guy - jiz

Anderson......... no Anderson.

....... .........Gase

Bears27

Liked Posts:
You don't think Timu can fill that ILB spot.

That's the exact reason why I think it's imperative they double dip with LB or DE in FA. If they can sign Hicks tomorrow, they might be fine with just bringing back Jenkins and spending a high pick on a DL. And since the Bears slept on Jaye Howard (2/$10), Cedric Thornton (4/$17), and William Hayes (3/$17.5); it would make sense to look @ the draft for answers here.

Same could kind of be said @ LB. Resigning Shea could balloon if other teams have enough interest, so it would – in theory – behoove you to find alternatives so you can truly go into the draft with a BPA-strategy. Tahir Whitehead signed a 2yr deal today, he would've been a good run-stopping complement to Trevathan, but there's still some solid options available:

Jerrell Freeman, Demario Davis – high-level deals
Donald Butler, Bruce Carter, Erin Henderson – mid-level deals
Daryl Smith, Justin Durant, or Stephen Tulloch – vet min deals

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Right now I look at the Bears CB group as being

1. Fuller
2. Porter
3. ____________________
4. Callahan
5. McManis

Could really use a Hayward or Robinson to possibly play the slot and be the primary backup.

Callahan was more than capable filling inside and he showed some real play-making ability towards the end of the season. I think the interest in William Jackson III is real and could very well be our pick, albeit a crazy one. So wouldn't hate rolling into the season with Fuller/Porter/Callahan and Jackson III spelling on the outside.

I think they focus on FS with guys like Bruton, Nelson, Thurmond, Abdullah still out there.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
RE:
NT: Goldman
LE: Hicks [Assuming]

OLB: Young
ILB: Trevathan
ILB:
OLB: McPhee

CB: Fuller
CB: Porter
NB:
FS: Amos
SS:

Assuming that the Bears sign Hicks I still see a need for 4 starters, which is rich for a draft.

Callahan can win the nickel job- I wouldn't spend big $$$ on his competition or a high draft pick.

Timu & Anderson can compete for the job next to Trevathan inside. I also wouldn't spend big $$$ or a high draft pick on their competition, either.

The Bears have to develop their own Trevethans and Malik Jacksons if they want to take the next step. We can't keep dipping into FA to find a quick fix or we'll end up the same as we did under Angelo & Emery.

The Bears are off to a great start with guys like Amos & Goldman, but it can't stop there. We're lucky to have a staff who wants to develop young players and aren't afraid to coach.

Reactions: WCL

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
FORTE no FORTE...

Must believe in the langford, jim carrey and that one guy - jiz

Anderson......... no Anderson.

....... .........Gase

I don't think it's that black and white. I think they like Langford and Carey. Fox has a history of using multiple backs, C.J. Anderson is a good back who Fox knows. Obviously they're not going to pay him $4.5 mil a season. I think they want another back to add to the mix, and would expect another back in the draft. But if the cards don't fall their way they will be fine with Langford, Carey and Rodgers.

AussieBear

I don't think it's that black and white. I think they like Langford and Carey. Fox has a history of using multiple backs, C.J. Anderson is a good back who Fox knows. Obviously they're not going to pay him $4.5 mil a season. I think they want another back to add to the mix, and would expect another back in the draft. But if the cards don't fall their way they will be fine with Langford, Carey and Rodgers.

It is in a way... they basically told forte - youre weak... we need some power to complement the langford..

they might as well take some zeke.....

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
RE:

ILB:

NB:
SS:

Assuming that the Bears sign Hicks I still see a need for 4 starters, which is rich for a draft.

This is accurate. Assuming they are hopefully able to reel in Hicks tomorrow they need both a 2nd ILB & DE with a 3rd wave player to fill in a gap along with a SS. At that point I think you look at ILB/DE prospects hard in the draft to hopefully find a starter at one of those 2 positions assuming a player worthy of the draft slot is sitting there (Darron Lee potentially?).

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
RE:

ILB:

NB:
SS:

Ego Ferguson at RE is about the same as Porter at CB, Young at OLB, and Callahan at NB. Basically there is a lot of mediocre in that lineup.

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WOW, CJ Anderson. if it's true, i was right bout our Bears wanting to run the ball down peoples throats. adding massie, and possibly another RB. who knows who else they will add, but i can't wait. cj is only 25 to. langford, anderson, n whoever else would be a nice mixture. good way to protect your QB to.

AussieBear

WOW, CJ Anderson. if it's true, i was right bout our Bears wanting to run the ball down peoples throats. adding massie, and possibly another RB. who knows who else they will add, but i can't wait. cj is only 25 to. langford, anderson, n whoever else would be a nice mixture. good way to protect your QB to.

yeah..they want to run (well be balanced).. but the way i see things is that they wanted to add some power to the backfield to complement the langford speed.. kadeems got sum..but eh...

i kind of wish they would look at Christine Michael... sea didnt extend an offer and hes a ufa now

come draft time there are a couple of rookies worth looking at too... like Jordan Howard as a power back for example... i like drake as the all-rounder

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
We have to hope to get two years out of Porter to play outside.

Bringing in Hayward to play the slot on a 3 year contract would be worth it. You'd be getting Porter+Hayward for less than Jenkins.

You know damn well Hayward has gone 1 on 1 with Cobb hundreds of times in training camp and practice.

Forte shades of Jay

Liked Posts:
Go sign:

DE: Hicks and Jenkins
ILB: Butler
CB: Claiborne (I think he can pull a Porter and revitalize his career in a man coverage scheme, zone doesn't play to his strengths), Boykin, Robinson, or Heyward.
SS: Bruton, he can compete with Rolle to start. Not sure how good he will be in a full time role but Windy likes him and Windy usually knows his shit.
We could use another NT to backup Goldman.

Go into the draft with all holes filled and go BPA looking for upgrades at spots you feel could still be weaknesses.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Not everyone is going to be a star. You just want the worst players to be competent solid contributors.

I agree. My point is there aren't many stars to begin with. SS and ILB are just the most glaring (needs).

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah..they want to run (well be balanced).. but the way i see things is that they wanted to add some power to the backfield to complement the langford speed.. kadeems got sum..but eh...

i kind of wish they would look at Christine Michael... sea didnt extend an offer and hes a ufa now

come draft time there are a couple of rookies worth looking at too... like Jordan Howard as a power back for example... i like drake as the all-rounder

I agree. i also can't wait to see some old fashioned smash mouth football again. by the way, wasn't christine 1 of the top RB's when he came out? i know he was mentioned allot during his draft, but not heard allot since. wonder if they will bring a real FB into the mix. that could make things interesting to.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I agree. My point is there aren't many stars to begin with. SS and ILB are just the most glaring.

SS and ILB are the most glaring stars? Cant say I agree.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Go sign:

DE: Hicks and Jenkins
ILB: Butler
CB: Claiborne (I think he can pull a Porter and revitalize his career in a man coverage scheme, zone doesn't play to his strengths), Boykin, Robinson, or Heyward.
SS: Bruton, he can compete with Rolle to start. Not sure how good he will be in a full time role but Windy likes him and Windy usually knows his shit.
We could use another NT to backup Goldman.

Go into the draft with all holes filled and go BPA looking for upgrades at spots you feel could still be weaknesses.

Porter was good before. Claiborne has not been a good player since he joined the NFL so no to him.

AussieBear

I agree. i also can't wait to see some old fashioned smash mouth football again. by the way, wasn't christine 1 of the top RB's when he came out? i know he was mentioned allot during his draft, but not heard allot since. wonder if they will bring a real FB into the mix. that could make things interesting to.

IDK if they go old school smash mouth perse... but if white is back and can still fly around and go get it.. that PA/run game will be a huge part of their offense. at least thats how i see it from the outside looking in. Whether or not they bring in a traditional FB is beyond me... Fox had a good one in carolina for sure though.

I just see the need to add some more power to the backfield.. or at least another all rounder..

christe.. well hes been shipped around and really didnt pick up a role in dal or ari..sea thought enough about him to bring him back... but now hes on the market again.. has the physical part.. just dunno about the mental makeup... may be a bit slowww socially