Free Agent List

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, that would just simply be dumb to go after him when we have Flowers...

Yeah, but Flowers hasn't been too good in the minors. It's like Vitters with the Cubs. Will he make it or will he not? Only time will tell, but the coaching staff and the fans hope their will be good news.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
GT apparently didn't see Flowers hit like shit in AAA this past season.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Nobody knows what Flowers is going to be anymore. I think the general consensus was that if he was going to be much of anything in the MLB (not just a guy that comes up past the beginning of his prime, knocks around for a few years in backup/spot-starting roles then goes away), we would have seen some kind of move towards that in 2010. It didn't have to be taking the MLB by storm, but at least an above-average performance indicative of yet another step forward was as close to "necessary" as you can get with a player that is still in his early 20's. But none of that happened, and by all accounts, he took a huge step back in his development towards the MLB. I wouldn't go so far as to get rid of him or whatever, but I think it's time people start to move away from planning this team's future, at least in part, around Tyler Flowers. If he surprises you and comes back strong, that's great, and you'll need to find a way to work him into the lineup regularly (perhaps instead of rotating shitty right fielders and first basemen into the DH slot, two positions that really aren't all that physically demanding, how about rotating two offense-heavy catchers in and out of the DH slot, so they spend less time playing the most physically demanding non-pitching spot on the field?), but for now I think hoping that Flowers "figures it out" in time to be a cheap and effective catching replacement (and thus an answer to passing up V-Mart) has a lot more opportunities to go horribly wrong than it does to go fantastically right.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Flowers had hit more decent in AAA then i'd have no issue.

Adog06

Liked Posts:
I thought Prince Fielder was a free agent this offseason? When is his contract up?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody knows what Flowers is going to be anymore. I think the general consensus was that if he was going to be much of anything in the MLB (not just a guy that comes up past the beginning of his prime, knocks around for a few years in backup/spot-starting roles then goes away), we would have seen some kind of move towards that in 2010. It didn't have to be taking the MLB by storm, but at least an above-average performance indicative of yet another step forward was as close to "necessary" as you can get with a player that is still in his early 20's. But none of that happened, and by all accounts, he took a huge step back in his development towards the MLB. I wouldn't go so far as to get rid of him or whatever, but I think it's time people start to move away from planning this team's future, at least in part, around Tyler Flowers. If he surprises you and comes back strong, that's great, and you'll need to find a way to work him into the lineup regularly (perhaps instead of rotating shitty right fielders and first basemen into the DH slot, two positions that really aren't all that physically demanding, how about rotating two offense-heavy catchers in and out of the DH slot, so they spend less time playing the most physically demanding non-pitching spot on the field?), but for now I think hoping that Flowers "figures it out" in time to be a cheap and effective catching replacement (and thus an answer to passing up V-Mart) has a lot more opportunities to go horribly wrong than it does to go fantastically right.[/QUOTE]

so flippin true.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Would we dare go after Carlos Pena?

No, which is to say that a rationally-run Chicago White Sox team would not go after Paul Koner...I mean Carlos Pena. He is almost literally the exact same player as Paul Konerko, just left-handed and three years removed from his career-year as opposed to just one.

That being said, will this Chicago White Sox organization go after Carlos Pena? Maybe. All the tell-tale signs are there for a classic "hey, you've been kinda crappy recently, how about you come play for us and be the centerpiece of our offense" kind of deal:

1) He's 32.

2) He's three years removed from a career year.

3) He has been trending downward in every year since that career season.

4) He's left-handed.

5) While he's not as good as other FA's on the market (Dunn), nobody is talking about him.

6) He can probably be had for less money than Dunn will command, and that contract has the ability to be viewed as a "steal" should he out-of-nowhere go back to production that comprises less than 30% of his major league career.

Sox fans should be very, very scared that this might happen.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Well, then Paul Konerko isn't that good, because as I explained earlier: they are essentially the same exact player.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Paulie actually is better. He was good defensively, offensively.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Buck off the list. Ken Rosenthal tweeting that he's nearing a 3 yr deal with the Marlins.