Game-notes / Bears vs. Bolts / 8.14.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
Boy am I sick of Lovie Smith!

First drive (Offense)
-Horrid blitz pick-up by Forte. It's like he didn't even WANT to block the guy; next to NO effort and Cutler never had a freaking chance.
-Next play : no blocking whatsoever - the line caves in and any other QB aside from Cutler (well, maybe a few other QB's) would have been ruined. Instead, he scrambles and takes on an LB and gets himself taken out of the game for good.
-Our backfield talent is porous! Forte looks uninspired, can't block, and C. Taylor is average at best. He also fumbled and whiffed badly on a block. We will need to address RB high in next year's draft along w/ OL, CB, and DT/DE.
-I know it was just the first game, but Peppers was going against a BACKUP tackle (M. McNeil was out) and did squat. Apparently, the Bears are too dumb to swing him from side to side the way the Panthers did. Or maybe Mark Anderson is THAT bad.
-One of our main offensive highlights of the night was a RB dump-off to C. Taylor. I thought Turner left Halas Hall in January? That, and those 2 bubble screens to Hester had me cursing.
-Our line looks bad and I knew it was bad.
-We can't run at all.
-54 had a nice lateral rundown of Matthews.
-Did I mention that we can't run the ball?!
-They were actually dumb enough to put Vasher on Hester and we throw a f-ing BUBBLE screen?!
-#55-whiff!
-DJ Moore can go back to the bench to rejoin the rest of Angelo's duds.
-Lovie - "The starters will play a half" = Cutler throws a total of 2 passes and plays 1 series.
-#19 is going to have a big year.
-Halfway through the 2nd Q the Bolts had 4 sacks, the Bears 0.
-I didn't see Peppers get doubled once the whole night.
-Really upsetting to see the Bears give up that TD to Rivers w/out V. Jackson and M. McNeil on the field. Same damn Lovie-ball. No QB pressure. WR'S WIDE open. Missed tackles. Poor angels. Oh, and did I mention that Chris Harris looks SLOW. Now that he's back in the Windy City, he stinks (again).
-Mark Anderson has great ability (at pointing to the other team when they jump offsides).
-Really disgusting that we never laid a finger on Rivers.
-4th and inches for the Chargers; the Bears had Melton and Gilbert on the field. Who did you think was going to win? Ryan Matthews. That's who.
-Our 3rd and long D looks the same as it did last year - sucky, really sucky. WR's are WIDE open and we can't get close to the QB.
-I think Coach Toub has overstayed his welcome in Chicago.
-#94 just got himself cut.
-Major Wright was looking great until he got himself hurt :mad:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overreacting much to the 1st preseason game? You realize that they play vanilla offense and defense, so they don't tip their hand in meaningless preseason games?

FQD1911

War-Time Consigliere
Liked Posts:
^^^^that

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lmao

Dude....chillax.

I liked how Cutler played, and Knox and The Aroma...Taylor did well other than the fumble, where Louis forgot to block the NT. Harris made a pretty bad mistake, but they happen. The Bolts First Team O played 2 series, ours played 1...Our tackling was bad at times, but we don't hit in camp...so that's to be expected.

We did fine I thought...Special Teams needs some fine tuning, but if we dropped Toub, there would be 31 teams call him tomorrow.

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
It's the SAME Lovie-ball, you guys. WR's running free w/ a 10 yard cushion, poor angles and missed tackles, no QB pressure . . . If you are ok w/ that then fine.

lrr50501

Liked Posts:
Relax most of those plays you were talking about were with backups not starters. The reason Peppers didn't do much was because he wasn't in the game. The thing I seen the most was that the O-line over all wasnt bad but Beekman stunk. The first play I was able to see was the one Forte blew the blitz pickup so I wasn't able to see how Kreutz played. But seemed tome the Beekman was over matched badly. My concern is I know Beekman is backup center but he stunk. Maybe that's why the coaches have been having Garza taking a few snaps there.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Worst drama artist I've seen in awhile and every year they come out.

Wow team played blandish in areas in the 1st preseason game which is nothing but rust removal. Peppers was actually laughing at the fact of going all out in a preseason game, this is a guy who is known to not have his full drive all year long why waste it in preseason? He isn't fighting for a job that's what presason is for.

The O-line was pretty good at parts but when Antonio Garay was ripping through Beekman and sometimes Louis that's an issue.

BTW A RB not picking up or trying hard to pick up a blitz in a preseason game was surprisingly the likely the best thing to ever happen to Mike Martz.

Oh and I didn't realize Dump off's were a terrible concept only bad OC's and bad QBs run, a QB must throw the ball out deep on every play then, wow meatballs are dumb I knew they were not gonna get what makes an offense when Martz comes in more and doesn't that at least show Turner gets worse footing than deserved because of such illogical thinking.

Last edited:

omc1969

Liked Posts:
Since there is no tackling allowed at camp Lovie why should we expect good tackling in pre-season games anyway ?

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with most of the posts here. It's just the first preseason game. The one thing I wanted to see the most was how well the first string did with the passing game, and Cutler only threw 2 passes completing both of them! If he continues to complete 100% of his passes ... :D. (kidding) The only preseason game that I really care about doing well in is the 3rd one, and even then we're not going to see much of the "regular season" Bears game.

Yes, there were some things to be concerned about. They have almost a month of practice to correct mistakes, and they may have to shuffle the depth chart in a few positions, to get the best players on the field. But that's what preseason is for.

I wouldn't start to panic, yet.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol@ already trying to pick apart the team's flaws in a preseason games where the starters on either team get less(usually much less) than 40% reps and time than they usually do

seriously its the preseason

you can start calling this team a failure when the regular season hits and starters are out in full force

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since there is no tackling allowed at camp Lovie why should we expect good tackling in pre-season games anyway ?
NO team does live tackling in camp

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

This.

omc1969

Liked Posts:
NO team does live tackling in camp

I beg to differ. I have attended many camps where tackling drills were part of the every day routine just not at camp Lovie !

FQD1911

War-Time Consigliere
Liked Posts:
I beg to differ. I have attended many camps where tackling drills were part of the every day routine just not at camp Lovie !

but those teams are in the minority. if teams were to tackle in camp, injuries would be more prevalent (could you imagine Urlacher, Briggs, or even Peppers getting hurt b/c they ran down a RB and tweaked something in camp)?

omc1969

Liked Posts:
You would also see a lot less missed tackles. Injuries are going to happen regardless. Players are supposed to be in shape when they show up for camp. Butkus (Great sig BTW) did a lot of tackling drills and I never heard of him being injured because of them. (and YES I am that old).

lrr50501

Liked Posts:
Just to clarify a little about tackling in training camps. Here are a few quotes from coaches around the league about it "It shows a whole bunch," Redskins safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "That's one of the fundamental skills. A lot of people don't tackle now because of the salary cap. You lose a guy because of a tackling drill, you're the dumbest guy on the planet." "We teach tackling fundamentals," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "But there's no reason to tackle our own guys." Arizona defensive coordinator Bill Davis, an NFL assistant for nearly two decades, was asked why the Cardinals don't have regular live tackling in practice.

"You can't," Davis replied. "That would actually work against you, because the body can only take so many hits and the season's so long." Then you have this from last year please take note the last part. Some coaches are more aggressive than others. Jets coach Rex Ryan had a handful of drills with live tackling this year, particularly late in camp. Josh McDaniels, unlike predecessor Mike Shanahan, also had a physical, tackle-heavy camp in Denver. It's noteworthy that Ryan and McDaniels are both first-year coaches and have yet to have a team decimated by injuries. San Diego coach Norv Turner used to have live tackling every day on running plays during his first camps as a young coach with the Redskins in the 1990s, but the line got so long in the trainers' room that he lightened up considerably as the years progressed. So in short a few teams do practice tacking in camp but very few. It isn't just Lovie.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boy am I sick of Lovie Smith!

First drive (Offense)
-Horrid blitz pick-up by Forte. It's like he didn't even WANT to block the guy; next to NO effort and Cutler never had a freaking chance.
-Next play : no blocking whatsoever - the line caves in and any other QB aside from Cutler (well, maybe a few other QB's) would have been ruined. Instead, he scrambles and takes on an LB and gets himself taken out of the game for good.
-Our backfield talent is porous! Forte looks uninspired, can't block, and C. Taylor is average at best. He also fumbled and whiffed badly on a block. We will need to address RB high in next year's draft along w/ OL, CB, and DT/DE.
-I know it was just the first game, but Peppers was going against a BACKUP tackle (M. McNeil was out) and did squat. Apparently, the Bears are too dumb to swing him from side to side the way the Panthers did. Or maybe Mark Anderson is THAT bad.
-One of our main offensive highlights of the night was a RB dump-off to C. Taylor. I thought Turner left Halas Hall in January? That, and those 2 bubble screens to Hester had me cursing.
-Our line looks bad and I knew it was bad.
-We can't run at all.
-54 had a nice lateral rundown of Matthews.
-Did I mention that we can't run the ball?!
-They were actually dumb enough to put Vasher on Hester and we throw a f-ing BUBBLE screen?!
-#55-whiff!
-DJ Moore can go back to the bench to rejoin the rest of Angelo's duds.
-Lovie - "The starters will play a half" = Cutler throws a total of 2 passes and plays 1 series.
-#19 is going to have a big year.
-Halfway through the 2nd Q the Bolts had 4 sacks, the Bears 0.
-I didn't see Peppers get doubled once the whole night.
-Really upsetting to see the Bears give up that TD to Rivers w/out V. Jackson and M. McNeil on the field. Same damn Lovie-ball. No QB pressure. WR'S WIDE open. Missed tackles. Poor angels. Oh, and did I mention that Chris Harris looks SLOW. Now that he's back in the Windy City, he stinks (again).
-Mark Anderson has great ability (at pointing to the other team when they jump offsides).
-Really disgusting that we never laid a finger on Rivers.
-4th and inches for the Chargers; the Bears had Melton and Gilbert on the field. Who did you think was going to win? Ryan Matthews. That's who.
-Our 3rd and long D looks the same as it did last year - sucky, really sucky. WR's are WIDE open and we can't get close to the QB.
-#94 just got himself cut.
-Major Wright was looking great until he got himself hurt :mad:

First preseason game...really? :rolleyes:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I was going to ignore what you said, but I can't believe you actually typed this.

You do realize the Bears have had one of the best special team units in the league since he's been in town?

Ever notice that when Hester was running all those kicks/punts back, he never got touched? Also notice that we've had several other guys go into the KR/PR role and also score touchdowns?

Toub may be the best ST coach in the league, and you want him gone because of ONE preseason game.

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.