Garza provides consistency to Bears' offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

With some moving parts and center Olin Kreutz still rehabilitating his way back from surgery to repair his Achilles tendon, right guard Roberto Garza has been the only offensive linemen to line up where he started last season in the offseason workout program.

That doesn't come as a surprise. Garza has been a model of durability on the Bears' line, making 64 consecutive starts. The only other player on the team with more than 32 straight is Kreutz, who has 118.

Chris Williams has moved from right tackle to the left side. Frank Omiyale is getting entrenched at right tackle and it looks like Johan Asiata could be first up at left guard in training camp although Josh Beekman, currently filling in for Kreutz, could challenge.

"We're excited," Garza said. "Mike Tice brings a lot to our room, a lot of experience and a lot of knowledge. It's fun to get out here and compete."

Tice actually tried to lure Garza to Minnesota when he was the coach of the Vikings but Garza chose the Bears after beginning his career in Atlanta.

"That's always good (to be playing for a coach who likes you) but you just go out there and try to prove yourself and continue to work hard and play," Garza said.

The routine has been a fresh one too. Tice has brought back blocking sleds to practice, something the offensive linemen haven't seen - or at least used - in a long time at Halas Hall. They weren't part of the coaching technique used by Harry Hiestand, who coached the line for the past five seasons under former coordinator Ron Turner. A lot of NFL players will roll their eyes at discussions about blocking sleds. But Tice stood on a five-man sled barking out instructions to the players on Wednesday, and Garza seemed to welcome the change.

"For old-time's sake, it's good," he said. "It's part of football. We've all been doing this. It's good. Anytime you get a chance to hit something and move it and get in the right position with leverage, it's good. It's heavy as hell so it's fun. I can't complain."

More...

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like Garza. I think we could improve his position, but I like him. I'm ready for Beekman to take Kreutz's spot tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.